X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TINFISH
    Lieutenant
    • Apr 2019

3D Printer question

I have a Dremel Digilab D45 3d Printer. I am very pleased with it thus far but do have one issue now. I am trying to print a figure that requires a lot of support. I am using a brem at the plate with the 3d glue stick that came with the unit. The problem is the print comes loose from the build plate about half way thru the build. I remember hearing someone say something about "blue painters tape" I believe.
    Can someone shed some light on how best to stop this from happening?
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Mike,

I have been using 2" wide Scotch original blue #2090 printers tape on my Dremel 3D40 right on top of the glass plate. It works better for than the provided pad that came with the printer. The 3D40 does not have a heated bed. Heat could have an effect on the sticking power of the tape itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3190002.jpg Views:	24 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	146838Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040002.jpg Views:	23 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	146839
    I also use the same tape on my big Predator printer. Works great for me on both machines. The Predator has a heated bed, and there seems to be no problem with the tape!! A side note: If I need to wipe down the tape, I use a very little denatured alcohol on a clean cloth, wipe it and let it dry before use.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-18-2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I find printing a raft helps, if adhesion is a bit iffy.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
        I find printing a raft helps, if adhesion is a bit iffy.
        Subculture, (I know that can't be your true name!??)

You are correct a raft is another good solution! Some of these sticking issues can be due to a bed that is not properly leveled also. FUNNY! Just as I was writing this, I had a piece that had just finished up, guess what happened? The piece stuck so tight to my blue painters tape that the tape came up with the part! Go figure!! The perils of 3D printing! OH well, have fun and just keep pushing through!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat

Comment

• TINFISH
          Lieutenant
          • Apr 2019

So you are just putting down the blue tape onto the glass. No glue added? What makes it stick so well?
          Trying to learn here.
          Thanks
          Mike

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by TINFISH
            So you are just putting down the blue tape onto the glass. No glue added? What makes it stick so well?
            Trying to learn here.
            Thanks
            Mike
            Hi Mike,

I use no other products of any kind on top of the blue tape (Scotch brand original #2090 2" wide blue tape) I just make sure to clean the glass (water) wipe it good and dry before applying the tape. Depending on what you are printing and the parts surface contact, over time you will have wear and tear on the tape. If I see any color fade on the tape surface I always replace it.

Mike, its not perfect (and nothing really is) but I have used it on every machine that I have ever build from day one (10 to 12 years)

I will post up a couple photos of my very first machines!

Rob
            "Perfection is our goal. Excellence is tolerated"

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Just for fun!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	146876Click image for larger version

Name:	90013.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	146877Click image for larger version

Name:	90014.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	146878

Click image for larger version

Name:	90015.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	146879Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (1).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	146880Click image for larger version

Name:	90016.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	146881

This was one of the first 3D Printer kits to come out! Made in China (of course) It was called a Sunhokey! It was one of the starters.

It took some time to build, and to download the programs required! And SLOW! It took forever. We have come a long ways in 10 years. At the time painters tape was recommended for the build plate, they even sent a sample roll with the kit! It was fun to build, and it really helped in understand how 3D printers worked, because of the clear plastic structure that showed all the working components in action..

Rob
              "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"

Comment

• TINFISH
                Lieutenant
                • Apr 2019

Ok then, I have a roll of 2090 tape in hand. I will try my print again and let you know how it comes out.
                Thanks for all the help,
                Mike

Comment

• RanSan
                  Lieutenant
                  • May 2020

One thing that isn't mentioned here along the lines of bed leveling is if the Z axis is just a little to high it will break loose. I have mine as close to the bed as possible without it clogging the hot end.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Subculture, (I know that can't be your true name!??)

You are correct a raft is another good solution! Some of these sticking issues can be due to a bed that is not properly leveled also. FUNNY! Just as I was writing this, I had a piece that had just finished up, guess what happened? The piece stuck so tight to my blue painters tape that the tape came up with the part! Go figure!! The perils of 3D printing! OH well, have fun and just keep pushing through!

Rob
                    "Firemen can stand the heat
                    I did mention bed leveling in my comments. If you have sticking issues it can certainly be bed leveling. Most of the newer machines have auto leveling. The DREMEL series printer have auto level with a manual turn know incorporated for this leveling process. I auto level every time I print, and in my case with my 3D40 Dremel I have to do a manual trim about 30% of the time!

Rob

As I have stated above! The bed has got to be level! Blue tape works great for me and has done for years, and I will continue to use it because it is my preference! But I do not start a print without LEVELING FIRST!!!!! We are not building space craft here, it's our hobby, build and enjoy some of the imperfections of the machines, materials used, and some of the filling, and sanding that might be required to achieve the end results you are looking for!!! Don't loose sight of why you are in this hobby!! Enjoy and be creative!!
                    Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-19-2021, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Aug 2020

If you suspect your print bed isn't level, start there first. No amount of platform additions or adhesives will compensate for an unlevel bed. There are plenty of online videos and printer-specific forums to help you verify the mechanical tolerances of your printer.

Regularly print and measure test shapes to ensure your printer is operating at it's best. I do this after a nozzle change (which requires Z height calibration) or if the exterior of a print exhibits issues (rare.) "Dialing in" your printer is the key to good prints. After that, is learning how to optimize your slicer settings to compliment the hardware, filament, and object being printed.

I've never been a fan of tape, hairspray, or glue sticks to promote adhesion. Either of these products will provide an excellent, easy-to-use adhesion surface that will last for months with proper care. Don't let the price scare you off; your peace of mind and time wasted with needless surface prep is worth it. Unless your part is >6" tall and .4mm wide, you don't even need a raft or brim; just print directly on the surface as long as the nozzle Z-height is properly adjusted.

Home - BuildTak
                      GeckoTek 3D Printer Build Surfaces Scientifically

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

I did mention bed leveling in my comments. If you have sticking issues it can certainly be bed leveling. Most of the newer machines have auto leveling. The DREMEL series printer have auto level with a manual turn know incorporated for this leveling process. I auto level every time I print, and in my case with my 3D40 Dremel I have to do a manual trim about 30% of the time!

Rob

As I have stated above! The bed has got to be level! Blue tape works great for me and has done for years, and I will continue to use it because it is my preference! But I do not start a print without LEVELING FIRST!!!!! We are not building space craft here, it's our hobby, build and enjoy some of the imperfections of the machines, materials used, and some of the filling, and sanding that might be required to achieve the end results you are looking for!!! Don't loose sight of why you are in this hobby!! Enjoy and be creative!!
                        I guess the post did not appreciate my last statements!!!

Comment

• TINFISH
                          Lieutenant
                          • Apr 2019

Thanks to all of you for you input and directions. The part I was trying to print is 5.5" tall and was giving me a great deal of grief. I am happy to report, after applying the blue tape and checking the bed levelness, it printed without any issue. That is amazing!!!
                          Thanks again
                          Mike

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by TINFISH
                            Thanks to all of you for you input and directions. The part I was trying to print is 5.5" tall and was giving me a great deal of grief. I am happy to report, after applying the blue tape and checking the bed levelness, it printed without any issue. That is amazing!!!
                            Thanks again
                            Mike
                            That's good Mike!

I am glad it all worked out! There is really no perfect print bed adhesives, and 3D printing is not an exact science. There are just to many variables involved! Just make sure to have some fun with all!!

Rob
                            Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-21-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

OK1 I have a question! My 8 year old DREMEL 3D40 3D printer took a dump on me! I am reluctant to spend another $1400.00 to replace it, even though it was a great printer!

I guess what I am looking for here is? What are you guys using for your printing! Thank you very much for sharing this information!

Rob

Comment

Working...