Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
    This will actually be the first (the 1:77 scale Nautilus will be the second) real ballast system subs I have built! The other five where basic surface runners and possible dynamic divers at best! With this information in mind and me being somewhat of a newbie, I will need some help with the plumbing on the Hunley!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140004.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	146700Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140002.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	146701

With the Hunley we really do not have a sail as per say. The picture showing the upper hull section with the square access hole for the snorkel box and the two snorkel tubes is the only access to the outside of the sub, except for the two hatches one forward and one aft. Looking at the plumbing that came with the MSD I am just not sure what I need to do!?

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    No room for the snorkel. Abandon SAS. Go Snort or gas only.

Name:	DSCF0206 - Copy.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	146707

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

No room for the snorkel. Abandon SAS. Go Snort or gas only.

Name:	DSCF0206 - Copy.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	146707

David
      Thank you David! I found on of Bobs videos on the 3D printed Hunley build, it showed how he hooked up a tube to one of the deck snorkels!

Name:	P1140006.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	146712Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140007.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	146713

That looks simple enough! The part that I do not understand is where the other end of this snorkel tube is attached!?

Name:	P1140004.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	146714Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140003.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	146715

The photo on the right shows the ballast tank bulkhead, and on that bulkhead is two very small brass tube coming in from the pump section with no connections!

Name:	P1140014.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	146716

Looking at Bobs photo it shows the other end of the snorkel tube running to the inside of the ballast tank through one of the drain holes in the bottom of the ballast tank. From there I can not tell what line (tube) is connect to!? I am just having a real hard time (age related I am sure) HA HA understanding these SD, MSD and there total operation!? I guess that is why all 5 of my other submarine builds and there WTC have ALL been surface runners..

Name:	P4040008.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	146717

Sorry to be such a pest! For all you newbies out there that think this hobby is simple! Rethink your thinking before you jump in! Take the time to learn it inside and out!!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

The LPB takes a suction on one of the HUNLEY 'snorkel tubes' -- that's air in (the long flexible tube coming out of of the ballast tank flood-drain holes). The LPB discharges right into the ballast tank, blowing it dry. Your MSD is already rigged to blow the ballast tank with the LPB. Just shunt around the installed safety float-valve -- that's only used if you use a snorkel.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

The LPB takes a suction on one of the HUNLEY 'snorkel tubes' -- that's air in (the long flexible tube coming out of of the ballast tank flood-drain holes). The LPB discharges right into the ballast tank, blowing it dry. Your MSD is already rigged to blow the ballast tank with the LPB. Just shunt around the installed safety float-valve -- that's only used if you use a snorkel.

David
          David! Thank you so much for your time here!

Let me make be sure I understand you. (this seems to simple) The clear 1/8" tubing I have runs from one of the snorkel tubes (from the snorkel box) into just one hole inside the ballast tank & maybe attached to the brass conduit line. The pump (white wires) are connected to the power and the servo type wire is plugged into one of the RX (receiver) ports to operate the pump, and that's it!?

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	146724

It can't be this simple! I have to be missing something!? What is the LPB?

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

David! Thank you so much for your time here!

Let me make be sure I understand you. (this seems to simple) The clear 1/8" tubing I have runs from one of the snorkel tubes (from the snorkel box) into just one hole inside the ballast tank & maybe attached to the brass conduit line. The pump (white wires) are connected to the power and the servo type wire is plugged into one of the RX (receiver) ports to operate the pump, and that's it!?

Click image for larger version Name:	P1150003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	146724

It can't be this simple! I have to be missing something!? What is the LPB?

Rob
            As long as that clear flexible hose is making up to the after ballast bulkhead port nipple, you're good to go. The starboard nipple discharges straight into the ballast tank.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

David,

Is this the port side nipple you are referring to?

Name:	P1150006.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	146727

One end of the tube to this nipple and the other goes up to the snorkel?

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

David,

Is this the port side nipple you are referring to?

Name:	P1150006.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	146727

One end of the tube to this nipple and the other goes up to the snorkel?

Rob
                Yup. that leads to the suction side of the LPB.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Yup. that leads to the suction side of the LPB.
                  OK! Thank you so much David! That MSD that you gave is finally going to be put to use! I very much appreciate not only your generous gift, but the time and your expertise to make operate! If the Hunley turns out like I hope it will (thanks to you) I might be able to lose the newbie label!!:-)) NAH! I still have so much more to learn!!

Thank you again David!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK! Thank you so much David! That MSD that you gave is finally going to be put to use! I very much appreciate not only your generous gift, but the time and your expertise to make operate! If the Hunley turns out like I hope it will (thanks to you) I might be able to lose the newbie label!!:-)) NAH! I still have so much more to learn!!

Thank you again David!

Rob
                    We're all newbie's in this game, Rob.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

The hull sections are complete and ready to be joined up! The overall length turned out to be 43" (1002.20 mm) as mention before I had to add an addition 2.5" (63.50 mm) section to the length to accommodate the MSD I am using! All in all I am quite pleased with the printed structure at this point!

Name:	P1150009.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	146767

Now I can move onto the rest of the smaller components to complete the build up.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Today I started the print out on the accessories needed for the Hunley.

Name:	P1180002.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	146849

The items you see in the photo above are the forward dive planes, the snorkel box, the two hatches with the covers, and the keel plates. I have also cut some brass tubing for the snorkels.

Name:	P1180067.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	146850Click image for larger version

Name:	P1180003.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	146851

I do have a question about the ballast 1/8" tubing going up to the snorkel! The photo on the left shows Bob Martin showing the quick connect that he used to tie the snorkel tube to the ballast tube. I have looked everywhere and have not been able to find these. I could use a brass tube and just pull it apart, but a nice connector would be better.

I would appreciate any possible ideas that you guys might have on this! Thanks!!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          Welcome to my underwater realm!
                          • Aug 2009

Robart quick connect. They're awesome.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                            Robart quick connect. They're awesome.
                            WOW! Thanks Bob!

How soon we forget! I used the Robart air retract system on a couple of my 1/4 scale RC air planes in the day, a Corsair, and P-51! Thanks for shaking the cob webs loose!
                            Thanks again for the link-up!

Rob
                            "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated"

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Today I am working on fitting the keel to the bottom of the Hunley.

Name:	P1190089.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	146923Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190090.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	146924

I had to 3D print a smaller 2.5" long section of keel to make up for the bottom hull section that I needed for the installation of the MSD!

Name:	P1190099.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	146925

Just need to clean up the pieces then the keel can be attached to the hull

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

The Hunley 3D printing is complete! Today I finished up all the smaller parts required for the build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	146989

These files as printed are good for great looking static model! Since I am going to put this machine in the water as a full RC submarine, some of the smaller parts will be replaced using brass and copper. Attaching the prop ring, workable linkage material for the rudder and the forward dive planes will all require a much stronger foundation.

That's no problem, I think the more rustic looking metal parts will enhance not only the appearance of the model, but it's overall ability to operate in the water environment.

Moving on with construction!!!

Rob

Comment

Working...