Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Pretty sure that issue is an artifact of the casting process and not in the design of the masters. The tails warped away from each other, spreading that gap. If you look at that section carefully from the side, I bet you’ll see the horizontal lines of the rudder opening are not parallel, but rather angled away from each other. You can fix it by heating both and bringing back to the proper position. Would have saved messing around with the rudder extension, though that is equally viable as a solution.

Bob
    Trouble is, resin has a memory. You apply heat and stress the structure to the desired shape and hold the pressure till the part cools and it retains the desired shape -- but only as long as the ambient temperature does not rise substantially. However, take it to the lake -- the work sits under the hot summer sun for a few minutes -- and the structure returns to its original (disfigured) shape. The permanent fix is to break/cut off the upper vertical stabilizer (shark-fin), reposition it and bond with a GRP reinforcing at the union.

Click image for larger version

Name:	040 (3).JPG
Views:	339
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	150310Click image for larger version

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	150311Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	150312Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	150313

David

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Pretty sure that issue is an artifact of the casting process and not in the design of the masters. The tails warped away from each other, spreading that gap. If you look at that section carefully from the side, I bet you’ll see the horizontal lines of the rudder opening are not parallel, but rather angled away from each other. You can fix it by heating both and bringing back to the proper position. Would have saved messing around with the rudder extension, though that is equally viable as a solution.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Hi David!

I thought it might have been I missed something during assembly! But none the less, that bright piece of brass was just glaring at me every time I looked at it! Like you just had to do something with it!:-)

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    This is really no big deal, but it was something I ran into on stern with the rudder!

Name:	P1010335.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	150281

I had to add an additional 3/16" of material to the rudder top to fill in a gap between the top of the rudder and the fin attachment! I will shape this piece to make it fit properly!

Rob
    I had to do the same thing on the two I assembled. No biggie.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    This is really no big deal, but it was something I ran into on stern with the rudder!

Name:	P1010335.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	150281

I had to add an additional 3/16" of material to the rudder top to fill in a gap between the top of the rudder and the fin attachment! I will shape this piece to make it fit properly!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Awesome work, Rob. Loving this
    Thanks Bob!

Made some additional headway today on the stern mechanics of the Nautilus!

Name:	P1010333.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	150243Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010334.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	150244

Got universal joint and the dog bone assembly put together, and it lined just perfect. Anyone building this model. make sure to look at Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martins) build videos. They have been a great help for me in building the Nautilus!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Awesome work, Rob. Loving this

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    This afternoon I was able to complete another mech. hook up on the Nautilus!

Name:	P1010041.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	150097Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010042.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	150098

My little 2' X 4' building bench is getting a little crowded! I do envy you guys that have really nice building shops! But I make it work! So enough complaining!

I finished up the rudder control linkage, and the linkage that will control the vertical up and down of the prop shaft. And thanks to David for setting me on tract with the sub driver! Like turning the motor compartment end cap to make it all line up so I got straight shot to my controls! "Thanks David"

I have one more set up to do on the sub driver, and that is the prop shaft hook up system. Straight shot should be a piece of cake!! I want to finish up all the wiring and ballast work on the sub driver. and do a leak test and then the final run up. Then we can go onto the electrical lighting system and the final finish work! Light at the end of the tunnel on this project!! It's been a real fun and challenging project for me, and I have been learning a lot!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Tonight I worked on the rudder control system on my Nautilus! Trial & error procedures here!

Name:	P1010034.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	150086Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010035.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	150087

Anytime you have a lot of turns and bends, it does take time to get it right! I do have some clean up work and then this portion is complete!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Not at all, sir. My flat forehead is a consequence of one too many palm slaps after just such a 'eureka' moment of stunning brilliance. All to often the answer is as simple as a half turn of something.

David
    Thanks David! Sometimes I just push a little to hard to get things done, and then I start messing up! Need to slow it down and think things through totally!

Rob

Leave a comment:

replied

OH MY GOD! How did I miss that! I see now the ballast servo is not part of the motor bulkhead!! David ounce again you come through! If I could only find a place to hide! My apology to Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martin and David) I really made a BIG XXX of myself this time! Thank you David! Another lesson learned! WOW!

Rob
    Not at all, sir. My flat forehead is a consequence of one too many palm slaps after just such a 'eureka' moment of stunning brilliance. All to often the answer is as simple as a half turn of something.

David

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I worked on the prop and its installation on to the shaft. I also installed the linkage from the prop adjuster!

Name:	P5190868.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	149987Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190869.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	149988

Name:	P5190870.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	149989

This photo shows the prop in a slight upward vertical position which will aide along with the ballast system to achieve diving!

Name:	P5190871.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	149990

This photo shows the prop in a slight downward position which in turn will aid along with the ballast system to achieve surfacing! Ounce the linkages are cut to size and hooked up to the SD the shaft movement will be some what more enhanced to achieve upward and downward movements!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Rotate the motor-bulkhead 180-degrees.

Fixypoo!...
    OH MY GOD! How did I miss that! I see now the ballast servo is not part of the motor bulkhead!! David ounce again you come through! If I could only find a place to hide! My apology to Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martin and David) I really made a BIG XXX of myself this time! Thank you David! Another lesson learned! WOW!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-18-2021, 03:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    With considerable amount of fitting and refitting I have the rudder installed and ready to fabricate and tie in the linkage!

Name:	P5170001.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	149952Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170002.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	149953

I have run into a little problem with the Sub Driver that came with my Nautilus kit! All of the control linkages come from the top of the cylinder! If you use Nautilus Drydocks YouTube build series on this Nautilus you will see the linkages come out of the cylinder from the bottom!

Name:	P5170003.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	149954Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170004.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	149955

This will certainly make the installation of the rudder control, and the prop power and control system a real challenge! Well people! Welcome to the world of RC submarine building! No Problem! It will certainly require a lot of creative thinking and design work, but somehow I WILL figure out a way to stuff all that mechanism into that small stern area, and have it all wok flawlessly!

Rob
    Rotate the motor-bulkhead 180-degrees.

Fixypoo!...

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    With considerable amount of fitting and refitting I have the rudder installed and ready to fabricate and tie in the linkage!

Name:	P5170001.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	149952Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170002.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	149953

I have run into a little problem with the Sub Driver that came with my Nautilus kit! All of the control linkages come from the top of the cylinder! If you use Nautilus Drydocks YouTube build series on this Nautilus you will see the linkages come out of the cylinder from the bottom!

Name:	P5170003.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	149954Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170004.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	149955

This will certainly make the installation of the rudder control, and the prop power and control system a real challenge! Well people! Welcome to the world of RC submarine building! No Problem! It will certainly require a lot of creative thinking and design work, but somehow I WILL figure out a way to stuff all that mechanism into that small stern area, and have it all wok flawlessly!

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...