Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

VonHilde, when you publish your book, let me know, I want to purchase one.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

Soon Come sir. I think we are going to go E book for the first shot at it. Ive been told thats the way to go now days, altho I am eventually going to go paper when I can. Im working on a short story of the actual 571 as well. It was one of the more active boats that operated in the Florida straits and Gulf coast are during Polkinschlag summer of '42. One of the few VIICs that made the trip. It was the boat that operated and sank the ships closest to my house, was innitially the cause for the research. When I found out about the details I told a good friend the story. He happens to be a published author and a screene writer He wants to use the 571 and the sinking of the MV Umtata incident, which is full of dramatic facits. He says "The stuff them Holleywood dudes eat up" Umtata being torpedoed and sunk twice, and the only incident of an unarmed tug attacking a submarine, and of course "Location-Location- Location" What I am looking for, is a ghost writer, who can sit down and listen and bang it out. I thought about Dragon or similar voic recognition, but I would rather have a nice lady with fast fingers. My wife doesnt type, and a fast lady with nice fingers, might not work out so good.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	212 on blocks.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	81293Click image for larger version

Name:	212 under skin.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	81294Click image for larger version

Name:	U571 bridge clear 3.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	81295Click image for larger version

Name:	U571 getting hosed down.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	81296Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonar image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	81297Click image for larger version

Name:	sonar_212.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	81298Click image for larger version

Name:	stern%20tubes.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	81299

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Name:	u1407hmsmeteorite.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	81329Click image for larger version

Name:	u873schorkel.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	81330Click image for larger version

Name:	u862avantledpart.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	81331Click image for larger version

Name:	u862.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	81332Click image for larger version

Name:	u756prparationxaudpart.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	81333Click image for larger version

Name:	u659aucentreagaucheu604.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	81334Click image for larger version

Name:	u600deretourdemission.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	81335Click image for larger version

Name:	u552lekptlttopplamanoeu.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	81336Click image for larger version

Name:	u480-return-norway-copy.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	81337

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Great close up detail on the jumper attachment to the tower on U-600. I am just getting started rigging my big type VII and that was one of the things that had me perplexed fo awhile. That Petty officer is holding a flower that his French "girlfriend" gave him before departure on patrol. They were leaving La Palace France on their 4th patrol. Thats the city of Bielefeld coat of arms, Krvt.Kap. Bernhard Zurmuhlen was skipper of the boat. He had just recieved the German Cross of Gold from Hitler, for actions on the patrol prior. The crew got a month off and had been given a big party the night before they left. (wine, women and song) The wine was commandeered, the women were hired locals, and the songs were German u boat songs. The daytime send offs with the bands and the girls and flowere were for the sucessful boats, mostly for propaganda Footage and pics.. Most boats departed Lorient at night with no hoopla. The 600 went down with all hands 500 miles west of Portugal on her 6th patrol, Nov 24 1943.
            Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Thanks, I really like the history you bring to these pictures Von Hilde!

Comment

• celticwarrior
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Aug 2011

Name:	IX 20FLAK.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	81338Here's an type IX with a type XXI tower!! :biggrin: Just a little oddity I found.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Actually it is a type IX tower with an experimental forward mounted standard 2cm zwieling, with a turret that they were putting on the XXIs. As you can see the tower is open and the obs periscope is in the center console on the type IX. The XXIs are covered, and have telescoping periscopes and schnorkle aft. The twin guns on the elektraboats were 4.2cm. and 3.0cm. They tried several different guns in the turret,the 2.0cm were the steadiest. This is somebodys model but you get the ideaClick image for larger version

Name:	XXIsail.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	81339not many were equipped with the guns and most that initially had them were removed, since they wernt going to stay surfaced and fight aircraft. . The armored turret idea was from the initial 1940 design. By 1943 ASW had jummped leaps and bounds and no boats stayed on the surface for very long anymore. U boats had radar by then as well, and as soon as they got a blip they had to dive.Click image for larger version

Name:	u3527.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	81350notice the two seperate cockpits on either side, aft of the front turret on the type XXIs
                  Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-31-2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

U 2008 before and after

U 3008 at Williamshaven in May 1945 at the surrender, with the forward turretClick image for larger version

Name:	u3008 willimshaven45.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	81340
                    2 years later when it was the USS U3008 and re vamped towerClick image for larger version

Name:	U3008sail.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	81341

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Name:	todaro_sestini02.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	81342Click image for larger version

Name:	tower%20low%20stbd.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	81343Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkish Bitiray U-a1.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	81344Click image for larger version

Name:	type 7 and U tanker.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	81345Click image for larger version

Name:	Type 212 closeup.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	81346Click image for larger version

Name:	U3%20tower.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	81347

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

The type XIV "Milchkau" next to Topp's U47 is one that I think would be a nice one to build in 1/72. Basiclly a IX D hull thats been shortened to 220ft similar size of a type VII. There were only 10 built and none survived the war. They had an extra fat balast to haul 432 tons of fuel. Diesel is close to 7 lbs per gal. but lighter than water, so the volume is actually lighter when full of fuel, as opposed to when the fuel is replaced by water as it is dispersed. No torpedo tubes, but carried 4 spares to resupply boats. Usually twin 37mm flak and a single mount 20mm flak only armorment. Had a large refrigeration storage unit for food and a special added bakery to make bread for the re supply of the patrol boats. The crew was about 47 enlisted and 6 officers. Also, I might point out one small detail on Topp"s boat, that modelers overlook is, the crews access hatch forward is covered by a removeable wood grate deck. Just about all the other type VIIs have no cover, bare hatch is exposed. The splash shield that is half way up the tower does not extend all the way aft, to the wintergarden deck. It stops just forward of the tower running lights. I have yet to see a model of the U 47 with these details. Something to think about if your a detail nut building a Robbe monsta.
                        Last edited by Von Hilde; 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

I was going thru your screene shots of the 571 movie and noticed the detail of the repoduction of the boat was close in most aspects, which shows there was quite a bit of research done. However, the placement of the periscopes the "Sky"or observation scope is in the aft housing on the movie boat and the Attack scope is forward. I wonder how something that obvious got by the set director or tech advisor. And of course the size of the bridge area is not really noticible unless you compare the movie shot with an actual tower with the same ammount of people. If I were to make a movie I would use one of the existing museum boats and green screene backgrounds or CG rather than use colstly replicas. Of course I realise that there may be only one person in 10,000 that even tell what an authentic u boat looks like. ...or cares either, for that matter
                          Last edited by Von Hilde; 06-03-2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

The boat seemed a little small to me. Seems like I heard that it was not full size for some reason.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Name:	u4avantguerre.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	81387Click image for larger version

Name:	U15 hatch.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	81388Click image for larger version

Name:	u37avantguerre2.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	81389Click image for larger version

Name:	u46retouraveckiosqueend.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	81390Click image for larger version

Name:	u48chargementdesvivrese.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	81391Click image for larger version

Name:	u77kiosqueetemblme.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	81392

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

after the filming of 571 in Malta, the large mock up was shipped back to so. cal. where it sat on a backlot for a couple years. It was sold without the bow section and tower and abandoned on a trailer along the coast highway, in Origon or Washington somewhere. It was labled "Mystery u boat" found on highway. in some pictures that I stumbled across. To my understanding the bow section was an actual bow section of an old "S"boat and has been used for a prop in underwater torpedo shots in several movies. Most likely the reason they kept it. The mock up was fiberglass and wood over some large oil drums and alot of styrofoam.

Comment

Working...