X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Brushless motors

Noticed the new MSD s are now using brushless motors. Can anyone give the Kv ratings of the motors David is using?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Large orange motors are 790kV and the smaller black are 1000kV.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Noted.
      Thanks.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RanSan
        Lieutenant
        • May 2020

Can anyone share their experience using brushless motors mounted externally of the WTC? Specifically wear over time, maintenance, connections used and any other considerations when used in this way.

Thanks,
        Randy

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

RcJetDude has several boats with wet motors. Check with him as I think he can answer your questions.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Randy-If your thinking of using outrunners, they can be susceptible to sand or in the case of Groton... ferrous sand sticking to the magnets but they drain and clean easier then inrunners. If your running venue is a swimming pool or if the boat never sees the bottom, just spray them with oil afterwards. Keep an eye (or ear)on the bearings some guys replace the metal bearings with ceramics. I think the cost and labor to do that is better spent just periodically changing out a motor -heck, now they are almost cheaper than a can of propel. I have also thought about running them in a fine mesh cage...or not-BG
            Last edited by Bob Gato; 10-05-2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Hey Randy, yes, I run brushless motors in the wet all the time. I am primarily using Mtroniks G2 Hydra 50's. I spray CorrosionX on the shaft ends. I added bow and stern thrusters to my Columbia using cheap drone motors in the wet and I just replaced them because I noticed that they were developing some play in the bearings. They still worked fine so it was more of a precaution plus they are cheap and easy to replace. I also run servos in the wet as much as possible, again filling them with CorrosionX. The Columbia has 7 of them.

I am in the process of laying out the running gear for my 1/48 THRESHER. Getting ready to make the trays and brackets for the components. The only thing not shown is the Emergency Gas Back-up which will go up front once I put it together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211004_225654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	154009
              The G2 Hydra 50 motor and ESC. The motors are brushless inrunners. They aren't cheap but they work well for the size boats I prefer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211004_225710.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	154010
              The watertight box will house the pump, ballast control module, a Castle Creations 20A BEC, receiver and an AD2 Pitch Control. I plan to go 75MHz with a "SNORT" system on this one. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. I love to experiment so much of what I do is out of a desire to see what works and what doesn't. So far I have two boats with similar setups, soon to be three.
              Last edited by SubDude; 10-05-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• RanSan
                Lieutenant
                • May 2020

Thanks Bob and Steve,

Great info, based on this I will use a cheap drone motor just to get one of these boats in the water before the snow fly's. I have also waterproofed my servos and plan to run them in the wet. Do you use any special connectors for the motor? I was thinking of some RTV under some heat shrink. RTV for the seal and heat shrink to make it pretty. Maybe a dumb question but why don't more people use this configuration and reduce the chance of leaks into the WTC?

On a side note Bob I started to print my 1/72 scale Atlantis. I don't know it I will RC it or keep it static. I'll send you pictures when I'm done.

Randy

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RanSan
                  Thanks Bob and Steve,

Great info, based on this I will use a cheap drone motor just to get one of these boats in the water before the snow fly's. I have also waterproofed my servos and plan to run them in the wet. Do you use any special connectors for the motor? I was thinking of some RTV under some heat shrink. RTV for the seal and heat shrink to make it pretty. Maybe a dumb question but why don't more people use this configuration and reduce the chance of leaks into the WTC?

On a side note Bob I started to print my 1/72 scale Atlantis. I don't know it I will RC it or keep it static. I'll send you pictures when I'm done.

Randy
                  For these motors I use 4mm bullet connectors on the motor leads and a waterproof 2- conductor connector to supply power to the ESC. One thing I have noticed on the Columbia is that if I try to push it, the motor will occasionally stop and I believe it is because I placed the batteries in the bow. That boat is quite long so I may need to go to larger conductors or move the batteries aft towards the motor. Slowly but surely I am getting closer to a more reliable setup. Unrelated to the topic but I just updated the stern to make the vertical rudder functional and added some clear vanes to the lower stern planes so it performs much better at maintaining a proper attitude while surfaced and it has a better turn radius.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                    Hey Randy, yes, I run brushless motors in the wet all the time. I am primarily using Mtroniks G2 Hydra 50's. I spray CorrosionX on the shaft ends. I added bow and stern thrusters to my Columbia using cheap drone motors in the wet and I just replaced them because I noticed that they were developing some play in the bearings. They still worked fine so it was more of a precaution plus they are cheap and easy to replace. I also run servos in the wet as much as possible, again filling them with CorrosionX. The Columbia has 6 of them.

I am in the process of laying out the running gear for my 1/48 THRESHER. Getting ready to make the trays and brackets for the components. The only thing not shown is the Emergency Gas Back-up which will go up front once I put it together.

Click image for larger version Name:	20211004_225654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	154009
                    The G2 Hydra 50 motor and ESC. The motors are brushless inrunners. They aren't cheap but they work well for the size boats I prefer.

Click image for larger version Name:	20211004_225710.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	154010
                    The watertight box will house the pump, ballast control module, a Castle Creations 20A BEC, receiver and an AD2 Pitch Control. I plan to go 75MHz with a "SNORT" system on this one. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. I love to experiment so much of what I do is out of a desire to see what works and what doesn't. So far I have two boats with similar setups, soon to be three.
                    Hi Steve,

Are you using the standard type servos like the Futaba 3004 or the Hitec HS-311 and water proofing them? I saw the Video that bob has on water proofing servos!

Great information Steve! Thanks for sharing!

Rob
                    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

For most of my boats I use these which are overkill for the stern planes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211005_140721.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	154041
                      And anything I may have lying around. For the fairwater planes 9g or up if it will fit. In my Columbia I used 5 - 17g servos, one for each stern control surface and Y'd 4 of them in pairs through an Engel X-tail mixer which allowed me to use an AD2 Pitch controller. The 5th servo is tied straight to the rudder channel in parallel to the others and controls the small vertical rudder on the stern.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

For most of my boats I use these which are overkill for the stern planes.

Click image for larger version Name:	20211005_140721.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	154041
                        And anything I may have lying around. For the fairwater planes 9g or up if it will fit. In my Columbia I used 5 - 17g servos, one for each stern control surface and Y'd 4 of them in pairs through an Engel X-tail mixer which allowed me to use an AD2 Pitch controller. The 5th servo is tied straight to the rudder channel in parallel to the others and controls the small vertical rudder on the stern.
                        Steve,

Thanks for the information! With those servos do you take them apart and spray the interior with Corrosion X? I see they say they are water proof, but is that good for underwater use just as they come?

Thanks for you input and help here Steve!!

Rob
                        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

Most likely IP 66 (water resistant) -great for splash and spray but Unless they say IP 67 or greater are they truly waterproof. Even at that ...they're only tested w/p for 30 min at 1m depth-that's why the corrosion-x. But you can extend the life by mounting them upside down to hold a bubble.(unless your sub is hydrobatic)

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

Hey Rob, I fill any servos I put in the wet full of CorrosionX no matter what they say. As Bob said, I believe they are splash proof at best. The 20Kg servos are intended for stearing RC cars and they do have gaskets between the sections but I don't trust them to maintain their functionality if completely submerged without the CorrosionX. I fill a syringe and use that to push it into the servos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211005_152434.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	154045

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Hey Rob, I fill any servos I put in the wet full of CorrosionX no matter what they say. As Bob said, I believe they are splash proof at best. The 20Kg servos are intended for stearing RC cars and they do have gaskets between the sections but I don't trust them to maintain their functionality if completely submerged without the CorrosionX. I fill a syringe and use that to push it into the servos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211005_152434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	154045
                              Thanks Steve and Bob!

I do appreciate the great information! Installing brushless motors and servos in the wet certainly can make some installations a lot simpler! I know with my piston ballast system, I can use the extra space for the other electronics!

Rob
                              ​​​​​​​"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...