• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Sealing 3D printed Hulls

Hello
    I have been thinking about this for a while. With the increasing amount of 3D models being available in either Surface OR Submarine versions. What should be "Good enough" to seal the printed 3D PLA hull so that it can be used outside under remote control versions?
    I know that Bob has said to epoxy the hull inside and out But it is Very Costly to bring into Canada the proper epoxy that can be thinned so it can be easily applied to the hull.

Would a spray paint, inside and out, serve as well to protect the hull?

If so, any brand recommendations OR Canadian available epoxy and thinner recommendations? In my area we don`t have denatured alcohol.

Thanks
    George
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

You know George, I never had occasion to seal a printed hull-If I did I think that would use un thinned epoxy and would apply it on the inside and "suck" it thru the print with a shop vac from the outside.-like life...it might be messy so wear protection.

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

On my 1/72 LA, I printed it in PLA+, sanded and filled it on the outside with Evercoat Rage filler, then taped any holes on the outside of the hull. Next I poured a good quality high fill Polyurethane primer (Finish 1) in each section and rotated to coat everything inside. I then removed the tape and primed the outside with the same stuff using an HVLP sprayer, sanded it smooth and painted it. Any panel lines were easily scribed back with the tip of a broken Xacto blade. Everything was sealed and the finish was top notch. What I do has evolved with each project. Now I am printing with ASA and will likely forgo sealing the inside to see how that goes. I will still use Rage filler and PU primer to achieve a good finish. How the primer compares in cost to epoxy I am not sure but it sands great! This is just how I did it on my LA. Not saying it is the best way, just that it worked very well.

Comment

• BWRIGHT
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Aug 2020

what printers are you using that are large enough to print sub sections?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by BWRIGHT
          what printers are you using that are large enough to print sub sections?
          Drop in on "Sanding 3D Parts"

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

PLA does not mind water at all. Period. End of story.

PLA does NOT like heat. Coating the hull in epoxy will not help that in the slightest. It will, however, help with "glossing over' striations and printing artifacts.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

This is what I use for my bigger Subs! For roughly $400.00 you get a bed build of 16" high with 14" Dia. table! In that price range it is the largest Delta printer out there! I have run this printer into the ground for almost 4 years now, and no problems at all! Its called the ANYCUBIC Predator!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5270002.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	144880Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040002.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	144881

Rob
              Attached Files

Comment

• BWRIGHT
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Aug 2020

Went to Anycube website. Predator not available in US

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Ender 3 Pro is what I have.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                    Ender 3 Pro is what I have.
                    Steve and George,

My Predator is over 4 years old! I got it on Amazon at that time. Check out Amazon! At one time they stopped using the Predator name on this printer! I just checked Amazon, and it looks like they do not carry this printer anymore! There are some listed on eBay in the $500.00 range, used and new! ANYCUBIC may have discontinued this printer!!!???

Steve, I have really heard and read good things about the Ender 3 Pro. My next one will be the Ender 3.

George! Chick out Steve's posts here (RCJetDude) He has built some big Subs with his Ender 3. Good luck on your search for a printer!

Rob
                    Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-04-2020, 03:22 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

I may get an Ender 5 Plus at some point for bigger prints. Then I could make the 1/48th Ohio I want to build someday.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                        I may get an Ender 5 Plus at some point for bigger prints. Then I could make the 1/48th Ohio I want to build someday.

That Ender 5 Plus looks like a very well engineered printer! And the $600.00 price range is not bad for the quality that seems to be build into that machine. The print size is equal to my Predator as well! Plus I am sure you won't have the hassles of set up like you have with Delta type machines.

1/48th Ohio!? I do love your big Boats! Looking forward to see that build!! :-)

Rob

Comment

Working...