Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by biggsgolf
    Dave, sorry, yes the O Ring seems to have a thin black bead all the way around, I was confused
    The video was useful. Yes, looks to be loose. But, again -- look at the cylinder over the O-ring: are there any cracks?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

There are a couple scratches that I can feel while running a flat blade across them and yes they extend across the O Ring.

Comment

• biggsgolf
        Captain
        • Jan 2020

And on the inside of tube

Comment

• Aug 2008

And on the inside of tube
          shallow scratches the O-ring can handle. Are you confident they are not fractures the extend to the outside of the cylinder? Look at these 'scratches' from all angles with a bright, single light source -- refraction will tell you if its a crack or scratch.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Thanks Tom, so you put the teflon under the O Ring?
            Yes. From your video, It looks to me that your assessment that the air is getting past the o-ring is correct. If your o-ring does not have any nick or cuts in it and it did seal originally, it might be the resin shrank just a little and now the seal is not being made. Wrapping 4 - 5 times around the bulkhead o-ring channel with Teflon tape should tighten up that seal. Do not forget to re-grease your o-ring with silicon.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• biggsgolf
              Captain
              • Jan 2020

Thanks Trout, Dave I will examine closely upon return to home base.

Comment

• biggsgolf
                Captain
                • Jan 2020

Can anyone confirm the size O Ring is as pictured below? I replaced the original O Ring in may

Comment

• biggsgolf
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2020

Comment

• biggsgolf
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2020

There are no cracks, I wrapped teflon tape around the encap, inspected the new O Ring, silicone greased the O Ring, Installed the O Ring into the channel. Still getting a small leak thru the O Ring...... what are my options? Getting tired of this constant issue.

Comment

• biggsgolf
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2020

Hi all, after inability to negate the leak, Bob offered to take a look at it. I also had him ship back a new mini pump as the original rusted from the leak and was no longer functioning. Bob applied 2 Teflon wraps and a new O Ring, water testing was successful. I am now swapping the pumps. I did not realize the new pump did not include the outer board where power and servo is connected. Pain the butt, but it is working. My question is I assume I need to drill the two holes in the new pump which are present in the old pump? I assume thats how the pump gets air from within the cylinder to blow ballast?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hi all, after inability to negate the leak, Bob offered to take a look at it. I also had him ship back a new mini pump as the original rusted from the leak and was no longer functioning. Bob applied 2 Teflon wraps and a new O Ring, water testing was successful. I am now swapping the pumps. I did not realize the new pump did not include the outer board where power and servo is connected. Pain the butt, but it is working. My question is I assume I need to drill the two holes in the new pump which are present in the old pump? I assume thats how the pump gets air from within the cylinder to blow ballast?
                        Back a few years ago the producer of those pumps tightened their QA and they stopped leaking past the pump proper. Those holes were weep-holes to carry away water from a leaking pump body. No longer needed on the improved product. Don't sweat it.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2020

Thanks David!

Comment

• biggsgolf
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2020

Any pointers on:
                            1.) Best way to attach tubing to above mini pump to ensure it stays connected?
                            2.) Best way to replace a bulkhead O Ring and apply silicone grease?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Any pointers on:
                              1.) Best way to attach tubing to above mini pump to ensure it stays connected?
                              2.) Best way to replace a bulkhead O Ring and apply silicone grease?
                              1.) Use flexible 1/16" i.d. silicon tubing and squeez it onto the pump nipple.
                              2.) Unscrew the fasteners holding the bulkhead within the cylinder; remove attached devices from bulkhead; pull the bulkhead and swap the O-ring; coat the inside of the cylinder with spray silicon, slide in the bulkhead and make fast with machine screws.
                              3.) Sing my praises!
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-12-2020, 03:11 PM.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
                                Captain
                                • Jan 2020

Haha! Yes my lord! I praise thee

Comment

Working...