X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Rolling Your Own WTC Cradles

I can’t use the installed cradles in my 1/72 Skipjack with the new modular subdriver. Anyone roll their own on theirs? Would appreciate ideas.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
    I can’t use the installed cradles in my 1/72 Skipjack with the new modular subdriver. Anyone roll their own on theirs? Would appreciate ideas.
    A pencil loaded compass and some 1/4" plywood. Get to it!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

WOOD! In a SUB!?

Seal the crap out of it BEFORE you put it in and be darned sure you don't drill holes into it or crack it. I'd go with 1/4" plastic sheet, available at a million places online. Sintra is a nice product, not as dense and easy to work with.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

OH Yes! Got to agree with Bob! Wood is for cabinetry, not Submarines!! Sorry David!:-))

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Bob, I was hoping you would see this. I forgot the name of the stuff you recommended. Alzheimer's moment.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Perhaps Dave thought he wanted a cradle to mount the wtc on when it was out of the water, for maintenance etc.?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
              Perhaps Dave thought he wanted a cradle to mount the wtc on when it was out of the water, for maintenance etc.?
              Thanks for the attempted save, Andy. But, no. I meant wood. Consider the application. What's the harm? So what if the wood swells and cracks. So ****ing what??!!

This guy holds out for RenShape, G10, or depleted Uranium, and since such materials are not readily available he quits the project. Wood is likely at hand; the other stuff -- in most shops -- is not.

A little pragmatism, guys.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I used Garolite (fiberglass/epoxy component) to make my cradle mount on the Gato. Worked great, I guess it is important not to get stuck in what you do not have but look for other sources. While wood is not my number one choice, I would not turn away from it if that is all I had.

To answer his question, I would use the cradles provided, but make a fill in so the 2.5" will now fit into the 3.5" cradle.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_Cradle.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	138756 Sorry for the crayon drawing.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• a1965l
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Apr 2020

I modeled cradles in Autodesk Fusion and 3D printed them. Took a couple of tries to get the fit right, as the hull apparently isn't quite as perfectly round as the computer's perfectly round. If you know the diameter of the hull, and are sure it's round, I can draw a cradle for you, but doing that kind of prototyping is always easier when the designer has the object in front of him, as tweaks are usually needed...
                  "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.7 KB ID:	138779 Consider Azek (PVC dimentional trim board used in common construction)-machines and glues well , takes paint well, is positively buoyant and is relatively cheap -.75x5.5x96 for $20 (available at Home Depot or Lowes) . ...cuts like wood.

"not to get stuck in what you do not have but look for other sources."...well said Tom!
                    Last edited by Bob Gato; 05-02-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

I ordered 1/4" Sintra yesterday along with some contour gauges.

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

By the way, Dave has always been daring. I heard he once hid in a refrigerator during an atomic bomb blast. By the way, I still can't change my avatar and it's driving me nuts.

Comment

Working...