3D Printing Submariens and Sub Components

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubDude
    replied
    Interesting construction. Are the parts vacuum formed?

Leave a comment:

• frozenottsel
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

frozenottsel

Looks very good! Did you do your own CAD work on this Sub? If so what CAD design system are you using? My LA Class Sub was from Nautilus Drydocks and the file he has for sale! Are you going to design your own SD/WTC for this build!

Got to love 3D Printed Submarines!!!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"
    Hello Rob,

Yes, I did my own cad work for this sub using SolidWorks and I do intend to design my own WTC for this build.

I'm super excited about how it's coming along, and I'm already beginning to imagine what else I could try my hand at :D

Andrew

Leave a comment:

• frozenottsel
    replied
    Hello everyone, I've been lurking around this thread for a while now, but I finally decided a few weeks ago to have my try at a 3D printed submarine.

I modeled my own Virginia Class sub to about 1/100 scale, here's some quick pictures of the test fitting :D

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - ojCbs2P.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	142120Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - dy7TseK.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	142119Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - tUFvLCH.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	142118
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied

Thank you Casey,

I have not even scratched the surface as to all there is to learn about this hobby! There are some real craftsman on this forum, and any tidbit of knowledge I have gained is a credit to these fine people and the help they have extended me along the way!!

Rob

David already has a big head, hush.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied

Thank you Casey,

I have not even scratched the surface as to all there is to learn about this hobby! There are some real craftsman on this forum, and any tidbit of knowledge I have gained is a credit to these fine people and the help they have extended me along the way!!

Rob

You a ham?

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude

That is just the way it worked out for me. It could be set up either way.
    If it works then great. I looked at it too once.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Das Boot
    RCJetDude, I have the same setup as far as the 2.5/3/2.5. Question, your servos appear to be on the bottom of the module instead of the top. Is that correct? I’ve never seen that done before. Is it easier to do it that way for your particular boat? Thanks.
    That is just the way it worked out for me. It could be set up either way.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Well, I’ve read and looked at all 15 pages of these builds. I can, without a doubt say, that I hate all of you. Especially you, Rob. Seriously though, I can’t paint, scratch build or play anything but a record player. You guys are a credit to the hobby. At one time I thought rc subs were dead after the unfortunate semi-demise of an organization I used to belong to. However, I see it’s stronger than ever. Rock on,

Casey

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    While I am here I will share my first hull part on the LA Class Attack Sub! I have the stern completed. I wanted to start on the stern so that I can work on how I will install the control linkages. It's going to be fun! not much room to work with. But as they say "No pain No gain!:-))

I will be printing this Sub from stern to bow! More coming!

Rob

Are you by chance a ham radio op? I noticed the receiver and looks like QRP transmitters.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    RCJetDude, I have the same setup as far as the 2.5/3/2.5. Question, your servos appear to be on the bottom of the module instead of the top. Is that correct? I’ve never seen that done before. Is it easier to do it that way for your particular boat? Thanks.
    Last edited by Das Boot; 07-21-2020, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SteveNeill
    replied
    Outstanding. Keep it up sailor!

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Awesome Rob! With the Redoutable does that make 6 subs total? That's a good fleet of boats.

Leave a comment:

• SteveNeill
    replied
    Rob what nice eye candy. One day I'll be able to build my type 23 but customers come first.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied

Hi Steve,

Got a little more building in! I put the hull together on my 3D printed Los Angeles and a first primer coat. I will be doing some internal work on the hull in order accommodate the 2.5" SD that I got from David M.

I also just received the fitting kit that David M. did for the Skipjack (awesome Kit) from Nautilus Drydocks, so now I can move along on the Skipjack!

I am also working on the Albacore, and I will get some photos of my progress on that boat. soon!

Rob

Good to hear. You definitely have a lot going on there. The LA is looking good! Sharp looking boat.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Any updates Rob?

Leave a comment:

Working...