3D Printing Submariens and Sub Components

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheapsub
    replied
    I find this, with a Chinese pice printer.
    is not laser based.
    info for some of us may think of using 2 types of printer. One for the big stuff, one for the small stuff.

Leave a comment:

• cheapsub
    replied
    "Were" a paper copier/printer tech 35 yrs., don't want to see another transport belt!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapsub
    New printer (old ideas new manufacturing), may get the sub printed in one go. And none stop. Down the road.
    https://youtu.be/2QOTD6AmqZI
    Great concept! But it does need considerable refinement for sure! Thanks for sharing the video!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• cheapsub
    replied
    New printer (old ideas new manufacturing), may get the sub printed in one go. And none stop. Down the road.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Bart, i really appreciate your honesty on what worked or didn’t work. We all learn both ways. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Bart,

All my joking and cheap-shots aside, what you are doing -- specifically your identification of methodologies that result in failure -- is so instructive. The Craft is an exploration of what works and does not work. Without a clear presentation of what does not work we are left to repeat your wrong turns.

It's a sign of good character when the teacher identifies and explains the shortcomings of a process that does not produce the desired results. It clears the path for us students; it makes the trek an easier one for us all.

Good on ya, my friend.

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    Bart, used 3D printing for his scribing mask, brilliant use.
    Please be aware that although the idea was indeed brilliant...........the end result was horrible imo.....could not make it work.......not a straight or plum line on the sub.......thought I could rectify it.........no such thing......did the whole upper hull.......Will start filling up all the scribing lines today and start making my usual brass stencils.

What it was good for was to use it as a drilling stencil for all the holes in the deck. Lessons learned.

Grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by trout
    I use 3D printing a lot. maybe I have found that I rarely can handcraft something that is symmetrical or straight. Using 3D printing also allows me to get more done. I can have something printing while I do other things (like spend time with the family). That being said, 3D printing allows me to create things that would not be normally done. As an example on my Skipjack the water intake to the piston was created to go around items in the WTC. fabricating that by hand (for me) would put me in a padded room.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston_WTC.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	143488
    This WTC is 3D printed (minus seals, o-rings, electronics, screws...you get what I mean).
    3D printing is here to stay and is bringing more people into our hobby. I cannot tell you how many times I have been contacted, but it is bringing some of those that never would have gotten into this hobby. It is also bringing people to use traditional construction techniques and teaching the hand skills those that object to 3D printing complain about (you know who you are). It is bringing in skills the back way.
    Bart, used 3D printing for his scribing mask, brilliant use. I am going to purchase the Typhoon file (it is the perfect size in 1/144 scale - thank you Bob). In time the technology will get better and offer more opportunities. I am excited to see what people continue to do with this "new" tool.
    Peace,
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

I am 3D Printing all the way!

Name:	P2120005.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	143493Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040007.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	143494

Rob

Leave a comment:

replied
    We have become enslaved to electron flow.

Take todays young 'Machinist' or engineer. How will they cope one second after?

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    I use 3D printing a lot. maybe I have found that I rarely can handcraft something that is symmetrical or straight. Using 3D printing also allows me to get more done. I can have something printing while I do other things (like spend time with the family). That being said, 3D printing allows me to create things that would not be normally done. As an example on my Skipjack the water intake to the piston was created to go around items in the WTC. fabricating that by hand (for me) would put me in a padded room.

Name:	Piston_WTC.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	143488
    This WTC is 3D printed (minus seals, o-rings, electronics, screws...you get what I mean).
    3D printing is here to stay and is bringing more people into our hobby. I cannot tell you how many times I have been contacted, but it is bringing some of those that never would have gotten into this hobby. It is also bringing people to use traditional construction techniques and teaching the hand skills those that object to 3D printing complain about (you know who you are). It is bringing in skills the back way.
    Bart, used 3D printing for his scribing mask, brilliant use. I am going to purchase the Typhoon file (it is the perfect size in 1/144 scale - thank you Bob). In time the technology will get better and offer more opportunities. I am excited to see what people continue to do with this "new" tool.
    Peace,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Hi Guys,

What's in it to me.

I strongly believe that 3D printing will be the future. However, although print quality is getting very good, artifacts are still inevitable.

For the moment 3D printing can be used as an aide but not as an end product in modeling for me.

Same goes for CNC routers for home use, although the quality of the product is fore better then 3D printing, small details forget about it.

I use both, depending on the cost and time involved I go for one or the other.......or often chose for hand crafting, as it is more time and cost effective.

I use the "new tech to my benefits, but people must be aware that it has its limitations.

Just want to point that out for those who wants to "dive in" (sorry for the use of that @subculture)

Grtz,

Bart

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    The amount of time I will save sanding and filling, the fretting I will spare myself over the effects of the sun and the amount of primer I will save should more than make up for the price increase.
    Last edited by SubDude; 09-10-2020, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sinksalot
    replied
    Originally posted by RCJetDude

I got the black and started printing with it yesterday. So far I am impressed. I replaced the magnetic build surface with a piece of mirror. Using Magigoo to adhere the part to the plate. I also upgraded my hot end to one with a titanium heat break intended to eliminate heat creep and clogging. Printing in a heated enclosure maintaining 40 C. Nozzle is 260 C and bed is 90 C. Printing at 0.12 mm layer height and 40 mm/s speed. No visible warping or lifting from the bed. For what I am printing it is very smooth. I printed a sample part and let it sit on my driveway for about 4 hours in direct sunlight and it didn't even get soft. All I can say is it is very promising.
    I only used white so far. However I have my enclosure set at 55 C. I use a heater I got off amazon with a Temperature Controller 110V Digital Thermostat Switch that measures the temp in the enclosure and turn the heat on and off to maintain the temp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing I dont like about ASA filament, other then how hard it is to print, is the cost. I mostly use PLA and ABS filment that cost $15 a spool. This ASA is double the cost. But I sure once I get my Saturn resin printer I be yelling about the cost of resin too lol.

One final piece of advice. I do not have my control board electronics or my LCD screen inside my enclosure as heat can kill electronics and LCD screens.

Here is a picture of my home made enclosure.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0457.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	143477
    Last edited by Sinksalot; 09-10-2020, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Sinksalot
    I just left the Hull part in the back yard. Well i was lazy to get it from the back yard. So lets see what a week in the sun will do lol. I know people use the black version to print replacement black parts for the plastic parts on cars. Here is where I buy my ASA Filament:

Comes in white or black.
    I got the black and started printing with it yesterday. So far I am impressed. I replaced the magnetic build surface with a piece of mirror. Using Magigoo to adhere the part to the plate. I also upgraded my hot end to one with a titanium heat break intended to eliminate heat creep and clogging. Printing in a heated enclosure maintaining 40 C. Nozzle is 260 C and bed is 90 C. Printing at 0.12 mm layer height and 40 mm/s speed. No visible warping or lifting from the bed. For what I am printing it is very smooth. I printed a sample part and let it sit on my driveway for about 4 hours in direct sunlight and it didn't even get soft. All I can say is it is very promising.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thank David!

I did check in with Bob, and he said OK to do, but suggested that I set it up under it's own blog that way people can respond to it easier!

Side Note: I have finally started the long awaited Moebius Skipjack build! I have your 3.5" SD and your new fitting kit so I am ready! I will be installing functional sail planes as well! Thanks again for the great video show the sail planes in action.

Rob

Looking forward to both projects, Rob.

David

Leave a comment:

Working...