X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Kim Sleep

HOLY CRAP!!! I just noticed the Linear Horizontal Throw Servos, which REALLY save space. I used them a lot when I was in the film industry in various builds...but man, they are expensive, altho it seems money is no object here.
    Bob has an alternative in the store.

Linear Servo Conversion

Actually, the model was not that pricey after all. She's a test bed for new idea's since the original D&E Miniatures 3.5 gave up the ghost in 2015.
    $814.55 (I keep accurate records) of which 2/3rds was spent on R&D since then. Say $275 plus the following............

I purchased the built hull for $250 from Jim Wheeler way back in '94. Stripped the original DeBoer running boxes and installed the D&E Miniatures 3.5, I think it was $350 back then and used it with a new Robbe Navy F-14 that was ~$500/600 even back then. But that WTC and Radio system was shared among 3 hulls!! I remember Dave remarking I was one of the only people who did that using his adjustable volume ballast "crank". THIS LASTED ME FOR TWENTY YEARS!! Got my moneys worth. That was Mod I

Since that died I've been applying everything I learned from great people in this hobby, with some innovation on my own.

I stand, and dive, among giants:

David Merriman
    Bob Martin
    Skip Asay
    Mike Dory
    Ray Mason
    Rich Koehlbrecher
    Rick Teskey.........

to name but a few who taught and inspired me.

BTW, Dave is the TRUE culprit of 2.4Ghz sub running, I just ran with it.

I'm not too worried abut the R&D cost, it was the price of learning. Better than most things one can do.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Those were the ones.....

He NEVER responds anymore. I used his online ordering once and had my CC hacked two weeks later.

Tried again after the 2017 WRAM show and telling him that.....and a month later tried and had my CC hacked AGAIN two weeks later.

The only time I ever had that happen, and I purchase a lot online. Coincidence, I think NOT!

That Jomar site got some Russian Malware tracker attached to it. Purchase at Jomar at your own risk.

That's why I came up with my own design, SO BUY AT BOB's!!
      v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Bob has an alternative in the store.

Linear Servo Conversion

Actually, the model was not that pricey after all. She's a test bed for new idea's since the original D&E Miniatures 3.5 gave up the ghost in 2015.
        $814.55 (I keep accurate records) of which 2/3rds was spent on R&D since then. Say $275 plus the following............

I purchased the built hull for $250 from Jim Wheeler way back in '94. Stripped the original DeBoer running boxes and installed the D&E Miniatures 3.5, I think it was $350 back then and used it with a new Robbe Navy F-14 that was ~$500/600 even back then. But that WTC and Radio system was shared among 3 hulls!! I remember Dave remarking I was one of the only people who did that using his adjustable volume ballast "crank". THIS LASTED ME FOR TWENTY YEARS!! Got my moneys worth. That was Mod I

Since that died I've been applying everything I learned from great people in this hobby, with some innovation on my own.

I stand, and dive, among giants:

David Merriman
        Bob Martin
        Skip Asay
        Mike Dory
        Ray Mason
        Rich Koehlbrecher
        Rick Teskey.........

to name but a few who taught and inspired me.

BTW, Dave is the TRUE culprit of 2.4Ghz sub running, I just ran with it.

I'm not too worried abut the R&D cost, it was the price of learning. Better than most things one can do.
        LIES! … DAMNED LIES!!!!

I DENY EVERYTHING!!!!!

David
        2.4gHz Enabler
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Those were the ones.....

He NEVER responds anymore. I used his online ordering once and had my CC hacked two weeks later.

Tried again after the 2017 WRAM show and telling him that.....and a month later tried and had my CC hacked AGAIN two weeks later.

The only time I ever had that happen, and I purchase a lot online. Coincidence, I think NOT!

That Jomar site got some Russian Malware tracker attached to it. Purchase at Jomar at your own risk.

That's why I came up with my own design, SO BUY AT BOB's!!
          That is good info.
          It can be a challenge enough to just keep your computer from getting malware, it is tough for me to trust a lot of sites for just what you mentioned. If they are not aware or even complacent on security they can/will get hacked.
          Buy from Bob.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
            Commander
            • Nov 2013

If you look at the Life sized head in "The Fly", it actually mostly contained the Horizontal servos, my first time I used them...and kinda the last time, altho I think I have a few around.
            A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

• pirati2279
              Ensign
              • Oct 2022

Diving System ?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

As discussed today at the Dive Tribe, the need for Documentation is paramount for any serious build. Look, if this pastime is just a toy for you, stop reading as this will make you shake your head and move on.

If you're a serious fanatic like me (and we're all at various degrees here) what I said at the meeting today can be used as an example in this very thread.

The numbers if the ORIGINAL post can indicate what portion of the SHARKS Schematic shown here. More on that in a moment.

From an Engineering standpoint, an RC Submarine is a "SYSTEM". Systems are multiple components that work in harmony to achieve the desired effect...

You sitting like a nerd pondside with a transmitter staring out of over the water tracking your 'scope with a big @ss goofy smile on your face. AKA, the end result.

Systems are complex, and when one component fails , many others if not all will fail as well.

Hence the need to understand YOUR system!!

So stop being a noob and calling Bob that your toy broke because you don't understand it. If your not interested in this pastime to FULLY understand your model, go learn knitting.

If you stick around, learn and come to understand the "System" you own, pat yourself on the back because you are in effect, an Engineer. The growth and your own designs will evolve naturally.

Back to the Schematic we discussed...

Looking at the Schematic Below, you can Identify the portions numbered with the original post photo and put it together. This is Revision 3.2, utilizing the JETI RX7 "ASSIST" Receiver, no BLM or APC, everything is handled by that.

So next time you start your build, grab your Engineering Notebook, or favorite 2D CAD Program, and document it. Either along these lines, or something that you understand. But do it. Because when it comes to troubleshooting, repair, maintenance, refits and upgrades, you'll thank yourself.

Of course how you really understand your $1K USD or more toy is entirely up to you.

I have spoken.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GWC-1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	165850

Name:	591_SchematicDiagram_R3p2 conv 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	165851

Name:	591_SchematicDiagram_R3p2 conv 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	165852
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

As discussed today at the Dive Tribe, the need for Documentation is paramount for any serious build. Look, if this pastime is just a toy for you, stop reading as this will make you shake your head and move on.

If you're a serious fanatic like me (and we're all at various degrees here) what I said at the meeting today can be used as an example in this very thread.

The numbers if the ORIGINAL post can indicate what portion of the SHARKS Schematic shown here. More on that in a moment.

From an Engineering standpoint, an RC Submarine is a "SYSTEM". Systems are multiple components that work in harmony to achieve the desired effect...

You sitting like a nerd pondside with a transmitter staring out of over the water tracking your 'scope with a big @ss goofy smile on your face. AKA, the end result.

Systems are complex, and when one component fails , many others if not all will fail as well.

Hence the need to understand YOUR system!!

So stop being a noob and calling Bob that your toy broke because you don't understand it. If your not interested in this pastime to FULLY understand your model, go learn knitting.

If you stick around, learn and come to understand the "System" you own, pat yourself on the back because you are in effect, an Engineer. The growth and your own designs will evolve naturally.

Back to the Schematic we discussed...

Looking at the Schematic Below, you can Identify the portions numbered with the original post photo and put it together. This is Revision 3.2, utilizing the JETI RX7 "ASSIST" Receiver, no BLM or APC, everything is handled by that.

So next time you start your build, grab your Engineering Notebook, or favorite 2D CAD Program, and document it. Either along these lines, or something that you understand. But do it. Because when it comes to troubleshooting, repair, maintenance, refits and upgrades, you'll thank yourself.

Of course how you really understand your $1K USD or more toy is entirely up to you.

I have spoken.

Name:	GWC-1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	165850

Name:	591_SchematicDiagram_R3p2 conv 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	165851

Name:	591_SchematicDiagram_R3p2 conv 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	165852
                  Ed,

Your wiring diagrams are fantastic! Thank you very much for posting for all to see! :-))

Name:	Schematics 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	165857

Right up until I have seen your work today, this is how I have been doing my diagrams! NO COMPARISON that is for sure! I am going to look up the CAD you suggested and start doing a much better and more precise diagram of my component installation and wiring!

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Like I said on DiveTribe (WHY ARE YOU ALL NOT THERE!?), your diagrams and documentation do not need to be to the level that Ed has taken them. A notebook, a pencil and some time and you'll be good to go...

Bob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Right up until I have seen your work today, this is how I have been doing my diagrams! NO COMPARISON that is for sure! I am going to look up the CAD you suggested and start doing a much better and more precise diagram of my component installation and wiring!

Rob
                      Rob, et al......

Whoa…whoa…whoa…

Thank you, but the last thing I want anyone to expect around here is that there's always more "work" to do!

Leading to…

"WTF?? Not another skill or CAD program I need to know! F~¢& this!!!"

Not all all!

Always remember the level of enjoyment here is STRICTLY up to you. Never make it harder than you absolutely have to, adhering to the old risk/reward ratio. Aka personal comfort level. The point is that you DOCUMENT your "system", accurately.

If you sketch it on a napkin with crayons is fine, providing you meet the following criteria:

A-YOU understand it.

B-It is accurate and up to date.

C-It's painless to do!

That's the only tools you "need".

Rob, what you have is perfect for 80% of us out there. When you sketch it, you can take a cell phone pic, or scan it on your multi function printer and toss it into the cloud!!

Now look at our resident Luddite, the Rickover of the RC Sub Community, Mr. David Merriman himself. (Yes Dave... Rickover, I said it, you deserve it, so slap me)

He PHOTOGRAPHS EVERYTHING!!

That alone accomplishes the job! Each step, each wire connection, take a cell phone photo. Digital Film is cheap these days! Save it to the cloud! Heck Google gives storage for free, make a separate Gmail account just for your hobby!

Got that new Sub driver, WTC??? Make an Engineering notebook and sketch the Schematic as you assemble it…learn your system! Keep it simple.

By just learning this craft, doing this, you are an Engineer, and Engineers document.

Most of you know my chosen profession. I have chunks of Schematics in my stool. I work with them daily turning the EE's Circuit Design into the physical package. So for me this is easy. I've been working with 2D CAD since the 80s.

Plus, I'm a freakin' nut job.

Go ahead and call me that, my wife does all the time, or she calls me "Sheldon" (Yes, Saturday night is laundry night). I'm proud of it lol. It's who "Sub" Ed is! When I do something and love it, I always take it to the next level, learning new skills along the way.

Your experience, needs, and wants may differ.

Plus, I'm all about sharing, so another reason why I take it to this level is for you. By sticking to standard Schematic Symbols and practice, anyone can understand it. I'm also using it to communicate with others.

Again, it's easy for me. SHARK went through many mods these past years and I needed to know what I did in a way that appeals to me.

I'm not gonna go into pros or cons of Electronic media vs Pencil and paper, interested individual can ask me personally and I'll share. I'll also help the folks that are like minded.

If Bob is willing, I can give a 20 minute seminar one future Dive Tribe meet on my use of the Google Products for RC Sub documentation. It's a little steep, unless your fairly anal. Maybe Bob should give it a special off day event to not scare newcomers off.

I'm not saying one can't do this, but remember the squirrel syndrome. It's hard enough to stay focused.

Again, don't push what you think (because others say so) is right because others do it, do it at a level you're comfortable with. Because most of all, whether your new, or an old salt here, the goal here is to have fun in the challenging pastime. All of us bleeding deacons will point the way. The path and it's choices are yours and yours alone.

You then make it yours.

Also, I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.
                      ​​
                      Last edited by QuarterMaster; 10-23-2022, 12:36 PM.
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Rob, et al......

Whoa…whoa…whoa…

Thank you, but the last thing I want anyone to expect around here is that there's always more "work" to do!

Leading to…

"WTF?? Not another skill or CAD program I need to know! F~¢& this!!!"

Not all all!

Always remember the level of enjoyment here is STRICTLY up to you. Never make it harder than you absolutely have to, adhering to the old risk/reward ratio. Aka personal comfort level. The point is that you DOCUMENT your "system", accurately.

If you sketch it on a napkin with crayons is fine, providing you meet the following criteria:

A-YOU understand it.

B-It is accurate and up to date.

C-It's painless to do!

That's the only tools you "need".

Rob, what you have is perfect for 80% of us out there. When you sketch it, you can take a cell phone pic, or scan it on your multi function printer and toss it into the cloud!!

Now look at our resident Luddite, the Rickover of the RC Sub Community, Mr. David Merriman himself. (Yes Dave... Rickover, I said it, you deserve it, so slap me)

He PHOTOGRAPHS EVERYTHING!!

That alone accomplishes the job! Each step, each wire connection, take a cell phone photo. Digital Film is cheap these days! Save it to the cloud! Heck Google gives storage for free, make a separate Gmail account just for your hobby!

Got that new Sub driver, WTC??? Make an Engineering notebook and sketch the Schematic as you assemble it…learn your system! Keep it simple.

By just learning this craft, doing this, you are an Engineer, and Engineers document.

Most of you know my chosen profession. I have chunks of Schematics in my stool. I work with them daily turning the EE's Circuit Design into the physical package. So for me this is easy. I've been working with 2D CAD since the 80s.

Plus, I'm a freakin' nut job.

Go ahead and call me that, my wife does all the time, or she calls me "Sheldon" (Yes, Saturday night is laundry night). I'm proud of it lol. It's who "Sub" Ed is! When I do something and love it, I always take it to the next level, learning new skills along the way.

Your experience, needs, and wants may differ.

Plus, I'm all about sharing, so another reason why I take it to this level is for you. By sticking to standard Schematic Symbols and practice, anyone can understand it. I'm also using it to communicate with others.

Again, it's easy for me. SHARK went through many mods these past years and I needed to know what I did in a way that appeals to me.

I'm not gonna go into pros or cons of Electronic media vs Pencil and paper, interested individual can ask me personally and I'll share. I'll also help the folks that are like minded.

If Bob is willing, I can give a 20 minute seminar one future Dive Tribe meet on my use of the Google Products for RC Sub documentation. It's a little steep, unless your fairly anal. Maybe Bob should give it a special off day event to not scare newcomers off.

I'm not saying one can't do this, but remember the squirrel syndrome. It's hard enough to stay focused.

Again, don't push what you think (because others say so) is right because others do it, do it at a level you're comfortable with. Because most of all, whether your new, or an old salt here, the goal here is to have fun in the challenging pastime. All of us bleeding deacons will point the way. The path and it's choices are yours and yours alone.

You then make it yours.

Also, I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.
                        ​​
                        Ed,

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for this wonderful hobby, and most of your willingness to help others along the way!

Thank you Ed!

Rob

Comment

Working...