X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Great, Thank You.

Was wondering if I could ask you for your information help?
    I as well as.others have asked in the past where you got this where you got that for supplies you use in the building process.
    Would you be willing to create a Master Source List of parts and their suppliers and Part numbers?
    This way we can have one place to refer to to find things we need instead of always bugging you for the same thing.
    For instance

O rings
    1/8"I.D -- Part # Source
    1/16" I.D
    3/16"

Oil lite Bearings, Flange Bearings
    1/8
    3/16

Cup Seals
    1/8
    3/16

Grey Air pressure plastic hose
    Hose clamps

Scribe tools
    Scribe templates

Silver Solder Specs/type

Plastic Gears

Brushed Motors

For sure there are More questions out there. Could this Supply Source list be a separate Post that can be updated by you to questions from us? Oh WISE and Patient One.
    Please give us your thoughts on this request.
    My thoughts? You want my thoughts! Sure. Why not. And while I'm at it, while I'm formulating those thoughts, why don't I shove a broom handle up my ass so I can sweep your place as I consider your many questions, George?

Enough! I don't have time to write a 'source list'. Or research and work out answers to questions that seem to have no purpose.

You have a SPECIFIC question, ask it! Fine. But, I'm not writing you, or anyone else, a ****ing book!

And one more thing, George: What are you doing with the information I provide? Have you built ANYTHING? Show me pictures. Or are you just a relentless question asking machine? Show me something that would indicate that the time and effort I've taken to answer your many questions has a ****ing purpose!

David
    Where's My Morning Coffee, Ellie!!!!???
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-05-2020, 06:09 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

O Dear, you poked him on the wrong place before he had his coffee, run George while you can!!!!, you have woken the Beast!!!!, it will take us some weeks to calm him down so we can pet him again.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SubHuman
        Andy, this is looking really good. I'm going to order some to play with this morning. Thanks for much for the info!
        Which ones did you order, Bob?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Spent the better part of the weekend building duplicate tools so I could get into series production of the Modular SubDriver parts.

While waiting for the new rubber tools to cure I streamlined the methodology of reducing the diameter of my demonic metric brushless motor shafts to God's own Imperil standard of shaft size. In this case reducing the useless 5mm to a more rational 3/16" diameter. Gotta love tungsten tipped cutting tools! The masking tape keeps the metal chips away from the rotors internal magnets as I shaved down the stainless steel shaft. The object of the exercise was to match the motors shaft to my standard drive-shaft watertight seal.

Most of today was spent casting resin parts from the tools. I'll spend this week machining these bulkheads to fit Lexan cylinder and then integrate things into proper MSD's for my customer, Nautilus Drydocks. They wanted me to adopt a proprietary 'color' for this new product. We agreed on gray. you'll note that I played with various shades of gray to give my boss a choice.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            We agreed on gray. you'll note that I played with various shades of gray to give my boss a choice.
            Did you go through fifty shades of grey?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture

Did you go through fifty shades of grey?
              I asked Ellie what the hell you were referring to. Silence. Cold stare. More silence. She later serves me the morning coffee in the cat's dish.

I look it up on the Interlink.

Thanks …. Andy!

David
              Sandbagged Again
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                Captain
                • Dec 2010

I know you use lead for ballasting a sub, have you considered pewter?
                What is the size of the gears you use for single Brushed motor to drive 2 shafts; 3:1 ratio I think?
                You use Renshape I think for your Masters, when you turn it down on your lathe,do you have to do anything besides spray release on it before mold making?
                Does anyone know of another name for Renshape available in Canada?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I know you use lead for ballasting a sub, have you considered pewter?
                  What is the size of the gears you use for single Brushed motor to drive 2 shafts; 3:1 ratio I think?
                  You use Renshape I think for your Masters, when you turn it down on your lathe,do you have to do anything besides spray release on it before mold making?
                  Does anyone know of another name for Renshape available in Canada?
                  I admire your pluck, sir.

OK.

No. Lead gets it done. Why go to an alloy of lead? Also, several decades ago I scored over two-hundred pounds of lead, so, why not use it up?

Yes, 3:1

No part/mold release required on the master to keep it from sticking to the tool making rubber. The only thing that sticks to silicon RTV rubber is silicon RTV rubber.

I only know it as RenShape.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2010

Holy Crap that MUCH lead!!! WOW your U.S EPA is it?Must be looking for you.
                    Also
                    Thanks again for the tips and lessons.
                    From before update
                    Canadian source for pressure pot, no Harbor freight Yes but No sales yet and about 100 mile round trip drive so I wait for a local sale AND OR I keep looking for a used one also.

About the gears? their size? for a 3:1 ratio I think you use. I have to try to ask. If I was nearer I would offer Free labor to learn from you BUT too far away so I bug you through here.

Thanks Again for the Lessons Sir!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Holy Crap that MUCH lead!!! WOW your U.S EPA is it?Must be looking for you.
                      Also
                      Thanks again for the tips and lessons.
                      From before update
                      Canadian source for pressure pot, no Harbor freight Yes but No sales yet and about 100 mile round trip drive so I wait for a local sale AND OR I keep looking for a used one also.

About the gears? their size? for a 3:1 ratio I think you use. I have to try to ask. If I was nearer I would offer Free labor to learn from you BUT too far away so I bug you through here.

Thanks Again for the Lessons Sir!!!!!!!!
                      No trouble with the EPA … till you called me out on it, George! (no doubt, the moment you posted this, in an instant, deep within the bowels of Colossus-Guardian a red-flag popped up!) Any moment Ninja garbed, armed, EPA nazi's will be kicking my door in.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Today was spent machining the motor bulkheads to fit the Lexan cylinders that house the items within the model submarine that have to be maintained in a dry environment. Most of the work dedicated to mounting the outrunner type brushless motors within the MB's.

To facilitate motor testing and MB certification I assembled this test rig comprising a battery, electronic speed controller, switch, and servo-setter (pressed into service to act as a 'throttle').

Tomorrow I explore what it takes to assemble, test, and certify a MB equipped with the gear-splitter.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

You added a capacitor to your mTroniks speed controller? Is it glitchy and you added it to smooth out?
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                            You added a capacitor to your mTroniks speed controller? Is it glitchy and you added it to smooth out?
                            No. That big Cap comes stock with the ESC, Tom. I assume it's there to deal with the big EMF back-lash spikes when the motor goes through speed changes.

What do you think Andy and/or Kevin?

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I believe that is to soak up back emf when the controller is stopping/braking or reversing, which can be more potent on long cable runs from battery to esc. Helps the long term health of the controllers FET's/

Always pays to keep those cables as short as you can. if you have to extend, it's better to add on to the motor cables.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                                I believe that is to soak up back emf when the controller is stopping/braking or reversing, which can be more potent on long cable runs from battery to esc. Helps the long term health of the controllers FET's/

Always pays to keep those cables as short as you can. if you have to extend, it's better to add on to the motor cables.
                                Timely input, Andy. Today I work out the arrangement of devices within the after dry space. Based on your observation I'll butt that ESC right next to the motor. Thanks.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...