ID:	135525
    Nice!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

I know this is the SSRN SEAVIEW, but what get's me is that it could be playing out like the USOS SEAVIEW in the movie as she begins to evade the UN SKIPJACKS by heading deep.

Again.......an awesome photo worthy of your Windows background!
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

… and there's never an octopus and a jar of peanut butter around at the shoot when you could use them!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

"congratulations, morons, you just flunked your second Qual-board!. Pack your sea-bags and say hello to the Fleet!"

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

Who own that seaview now?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
              Who own that seaview now?
              That was a long, long time ago. I forgot his name. Don't know what became of that model. I remember my consultations with you at the time being a big help.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Groot689
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2016

First and foremost, Merry Christmas to everybody. Work continues once again on the Seaview with some progress being made and one unexpected issue arising as well. First, I have purchased a pre wired lighting kit from TenaControls after being assured that it will fit my Seaview with minor modifications. The kit looks great and gives me several lighting options.

Next, I have cleaned up the rudders and added some details to both thrust tubes. I "borrowed" a modification from some guy named "Dave" by adding additional horizontal rudders to each tube and discovered that the left tube was 1/8 inch in diameter larger than the other. I am at a loss to explain how this happened. A casting mishap perhaps? To make matters worse, the starboard tube is not aligned properly with the other tube. The good news is that both replacement aft stabilizers have been installed and I have blended them into the hull using Evercoat and glazing putty. Despite the aforementioned alignment issue, the aft section of my project sub has taken a giant step forward.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Groot689; 12-25-2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Groot689
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Mar 2016

I spent the better part of an afternoon sanding and filling seams, chips and this @#^$%^& "gel coat from hell" while applying the first of many coats of primer. While the primer was curing I redirected my attention to the bow by performing more sanding and removing the flood lights, the god awful red windows and blending the seams on the hull once again. It seems like every time I correct one flaw or mistake I encounter another. For example, one of the light bezels is missing and the replacement lens that I ordered from Dennis are significantly too large. I cant separate the front flood light and may have to look for a replacement AND there is a three inch split along the upper/lower margin of the portside "dive plane"? This was revealed when I started sanding and cleaning up the outer hull. My plan is to do away with the screws that secure the FS bay door with rare earth magnets and to fabricate some semblance of a FS bay compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FS bay resized.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	135716
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Groot689
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Mar 2016

Well, my Seaview Restoration Project is back underway after a six month hiatus and a near disaster caused by my clumsiness which resulted in knocking the sub off its table onto the workshop floor. Thankfully most of the repairs have been completed and I am ready to resume. Most of the work on the stern has been completed and I spent an afternoon filling in small imperfections with glazing putty. I decided to start putting together the control room. As previously mentioned, David provided me with most of the parts needed to put together a control room similar to the one featured earlier in this thread. I started with cleaning and priming the basic components such as walls and floor etc.

Last edited by Groot689; 06-06-2020, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Groot689
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2016

Name:	IMG_2144.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	140312 I used super glue and sheet metal screws to secure the main panels and then started on the white metal hand rails and girders as well as the resin cast furnishings.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Groot689
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Mar 2016

I reinforced the white metal girders with a straight "beam" from Plastruct and began painting floors, walls, furnishings etc. David included a set of figures cast from white metal and the parts for the spiral staircase. I am trying to decide if I want to invest the time in painting each of the figures since painting is not my favorite thing to do.

Attached Files

Comment

• Groot689
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Mar 2016

I am putting the finishing touches on the control room in order to get it ready for installation into the hull. I started the assembly of the spiral stairs generously provided by David but have hit a snag. I sanded and drilled each of the resin steps and "installed" them on a piece of brass rod. My problem is fabricating the side piece and handrail.

Name:	IMG_2716.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	140382

Name:	IMG_2718.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	140383The resin steps that I am using look smaller than in the pictures posted on this thread and I can't tell if the handrail section is cast or made from plastic strip or ?

Name:	Control room stairs.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	140384David can you (or anyone) give me some guidance on how to make this piece? So far my attempts have been futile.

Comment

• Groot689
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2016

Thanks David for the additional info. This should help out a lot.

Comment

• Groot689
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Mar 2016

Name:	IMG_2727.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	140690 Well, my last attempt at fabricating the spiral staircase did not turn out too bad. The next step is to perform a test fit of the control room while framing the flying sub bay. Hopefully, there will be enough room to fit the flying sub.

Comment

• Groot689
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Mar 2016

Aye Captain!

Comment

Working...