X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    Ok , so the doors dont compromise the pressure hull.
    Nope.

Know this: when you're looking at a Soviet man-of-war submarine, you will not see ANY pressure hull -- it's all well buried under feet of superstructure and outer-hull plating. The Soviets were/are so paranoid about having such an incredibly high reserve buoyancy number that there has to be a massive annular space between pressure hull and outer-hull plating.

those hatches (hatches sit on the horizontal plane, doors reside on the vertical plane, damit!) do not penetrate the pressure hull; what's under them is still in the wet.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5755[/ATTACH] Nice closeup of a Delta, something that you dont see everyday! Looks like a gang plank laying crossways. I would have thought that it would have stayed on the dock.
      Changing piers I bet.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• NavyICman
        Lieutenant
        • Jun 2010

Back to the Shot of the Texas. All that stuff gets de-rigged and stowed below by the Nav ET's and the cockpit is rigged for dive by the look-out and the Officer of the Deck prior to submerging. These boats are not designed to dive quickly, the whole process takes up to an hour and a half. Dave, I am going to go out on a limb and say that was a VIP cruise. We don't do dependants cruises anymore, and the Tiger Cruise is male relative only, because it lasts about a week. Nice shot tho, nice cleavage. Oh, btw the big black pole is the mast headlight/sub id beacon. It is portable, and not hydraulic like the rest, weighs about 80 pounds, and is a real mother to rig. I am glad I don't do it anymore, my guys do........

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

I spend a lot of time searching for new(to me) submarine pictures from various search engines and they are accumulating. I thought that I would post one picture a day(weekday) to this section. If you want to post one of your own or just add a comment, please feel free.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5725[/ATTACH]
          What I want to know is what a front line SSN is doing with a fixed white coms type dome on the sail? (Right of picture)

As far as the chick on the right goes, common site on Australia's submarines.....we sold out - we don't or can't get enough people to man our sub fleet so the chicks are there in droves.

J
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzab01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	60853 Just another Typhoon shot but its a new one for me.
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• NavyICman
              Lieutenant
              • Jun 2010

John,

That white dome you call a mast is a portable Comercial Radar set from RayMarine. It is rigged up by hand too, Give us a second radar to operate when the primary radar is stowed or broken. There are reasons that we use them that I can't get into, but they are nice to have. Believe it or not, with all the millions spent on these things, we have a lot of commerical systems installed for various reasons. Radar, GPS, and a few others. They make life easier or more difficult depending on the situation.

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Thanks - just never seen that rigged before.
                J
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Name:	w9cot5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	60869 A Nice overhead view of what looks to be a Sierra. Kind of hard to tell from this angle noting all the different sails used by the Sierra type and subtypes.

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5785[/ATTACH] A Nice overhead view of what looks to be a Sierra. Kind of hard to tell from this angle noting all the different sails used by the Sierra type and subtypes.
                    Yes concur Project 945 alright and the original 945 not the 945A (Sierra II), the most obvious difference between them is the sail, the latter is a bigger, and looks almost toy like (to me). I like the look of the original config 945.
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Yes, the fat sail is not appealing at all. What I like about Russian subs is the tremendous variety in all the different models. By contrast I find American subs more uniform in design, therefore less interesting.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Name:	34jcd3n.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	60871 Good closeup of the forward of an Akula. Look at all dem der doo dads on deck. Pretty good size fishing line. Whats he trying to catch? An American submarine?

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Name:	victor prop.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	60891 This boat is listed as a Victor.

Comment

• 639mpa
                            Lieutenant
                            • Nov 2010

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5785[/ATTACH] A Nice overhead view of what looks to be a Sierra. Kind of hard to tell from this angle noting all the different sails used by the Sierra type and subtypes.
                            A secret carrier for the secret russian aircraft the GU11 armed to the hilt with the secret BEAK and the ability to drop bombs that are pretty disgusting.

Comment

• 639mpa
                              Lieutenant
                              • Nov 2010

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5761[/ATTACH] Just another Typhoon shot but its a new one for me.
                              Nice safety lines. What about Don't ASKy Don't TELLy?

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Notice the barnicles encrusting this propellor. Perhaps they are going to do a test on them to determine to what extent they actually degrade performance or increase noise levels?

Comment

Working...