• Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by greenman407
    Romeo High Resolution picture.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29564[/ATTACH]
    note the rotor wash from the photo helo, and all the guys holding on to their hats. That cruise was a propaganda photo op. Boat never submerged and never left sight of shore.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      What lovely shots. Thank you so much for sharing.

M
      Yes! Thanks modelnut! I saved most of them.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Ive been looking for years for this picture but in a bigger picture. Here it finally is.Click image for larger version

Name:	image10815810_1bdf321e92119bc27d5cae2d89740524.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	93238

Comment

• Peter W
          Captain
          • May 2011

Delta IV or III ? I'll go IV. I like the blue bridge. also on this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	delta.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	93239

Peter
          Last edited by Peter W; 01-18-2015, 04:59 AM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• KevinMc
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

Confirmed - That's undoubtedly a Delta IV.

One way to tell is by looking at the safety track(s) on the missile deck: Delta III has a pair of tracks that run through the middle of the missile hatches. (As shown in Mark's photo above.) This photo shows a single safety track that runs down the deck between the hatches - one of the distinctive tells that it's a Delta IV.
            Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
            KMc Designs

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Interesting view of the new BoreiClick image for larger version

Name:	955_more_SMP_2013_01.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	93240

Comment

• reddevil
                Commander
                • Jun 2009

Tooo tooo close. They'll have had to rig a lot of fenders alongside.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by reddevil
                  Tooo tooo close. They'll have had to rig a lot of fenders alongside.
                  Another good reason to build your boats with a double-hull!

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

My years of boating have taught me about fenders.The up and down motion so common to boaters will also move your carefully placed fenders aside or up out of the way and smash..........crash.......scrub........rub....... .scratch

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Another DeltaClick image for larger version

Name:	Delta_IV.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	93251

Comment

• reddevil
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2009

Delta snowed humpback pic is delicious. Regarding to fenders, during my merchant navy service I performed replenishments at sea, both on the way and at anchor all over the world. I've seen fenders made from giant minning truck wheels, airplane undercarriage wheels, siene nets bouys in bunches, and so on, and also have used "yokohamas" (the big black sausages). Depending upon the shape of ships involved, sometimes ones worked better than others. Quite curious when a yokohama fender explodes due to enormous pressure tween hulls. Anyway, a quite risky bussiness in some places. Regarding to subs, I completely agree with Mr. D.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

The vessel is in the Borei's leeward, at least 20kt wind, by the looks of the flags, and has cast off, and backing up. Seas are a moderate chop, and those two heavy vessels wouldnt move up and down much. The sub is solid and not moving up and down at all due to the displacement of the boat is 2/3ds underwater and un effected by the surface chop. The surface water on the port side of the sub is as calm as a lake on a summer day for about 50 yards. If they were approaching, there would be bubblehead line handlers on deck. Bow line of the ship is aboard and not stowed, as you can see by the bite on the line hanging over the top of the rail. The deckhands are removing the spring line from the bollards and begining to flake the line. They have to get that line aboard before its foweled in the screws. You wouldnt be able to see the fenders, since they would be on the port beam at the waterline of the supply ship. The bow of the ship is convex and narrow at the waterline and alot further from the sub than it appears. Its a long way down and aft of the foredeck The deck of the ship is level wih the top of the tower, so perspective is missleading. Wide angle lense on the camera, adds to the illusion. I have been in that situation before, in a small boat about the size of that big windless when I was in the Navy. Standerd procedure. "Dont Pee into the wind" I have an OUPV up to 100 tons as well. Thats a Captains Licence for vessels under 65ft.
                          Last edited by Von Hilde; 01-20-2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• Peter W
                            Captain
                            • May 2011

Coo the Delta I . I haven't seen many pics of it this clear.

Peter

Comment

• Albion
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                              That would be a North Korean Green Romeo with the "fool" driving. In answer to the question "Why Green?" Green is the color that everything turns into underwater after a few atmospheres.
                              i understand the logic, but it s light green, so it would still be fairly visible, and it would stand out as being a light grey to the naked eye underwater. Red would be a better colour as it goes dark and black quite quickly however an all RED sub would be easy to spot on the surface. In reality you arent going to be using the naked eye to be looking for subs underwater, so provided it is camoflaged on the surface what does it matter about colour related to underwater.
                              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Albion
                                i understand the logic, but it s light green, so it would still be fairly visible, and it would stand out as being a light grey to the naked eye underwater. Red would be a better colour as it goes dark and black quite quickly however an all RED sub would be easy to spot on the surface. In reality you arent going to be using the naked eye to be looking for subs underwater, so provided it is camoflaged on the surface what does it matter about colour related to underwater.
                                Perhaps the green is to blend in with the surrounding terrain, since It never goes far from shore anywhere. Thats a fact. You can read about that particular voyage when Kim took command, and see that it is a museum piece and they didnt want to loose it to ROK antisub warefare by stepping out of bounds. Especially with the fat kid driving.

Comment

Working...