X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scubaed1911
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2019

Condensation in engineering compartment

So there I was last week. Started out as a good patrol, then submerged boat. Water in battery compartment and engineering compartments. Drained water and allowed each section to dry.

Powered on boat. Dive planes, level-controller, rudder are responsive. Brushless motors are inoperative. Receiver on boat displays ONLY red LED.

What's wrong?

Thanks!

Ed
    If you're part of the particulate, then you're not part of the solution"
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by scubaed1911
    So there I was last week. Started out as a good patrol, then submerged boat. Water in battery compartment and engineering compartments. Drained water and allowed each section to dry.

Powered on boat. Dive planes, level-controller, rudder are responsive. Brushless motors are inoperative. Receiver on boat displays ONLY red LED.

What's wrong?

Thanks!

Ed
    Did you take the receiver out of its case/shrink-wrap, blow it down then bake it at low heat overnight? Could be mineral deposits are shorting across a chips contact points on the PCB. Do the before mentioned steps then scrub the chip contact points with a fiberglass brush till they shine. Test. Sing my praises.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• scubaed1911
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jul 2019

David, would you please contact me at 864 361 7510

Comment

• scubaed1911
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jul 2019

Thanks for the phone conversation Dave!

I'm experiencing two issues yet:

No response from motors for propulsion, and no response from ballast system.

Comment

• Aug 2008

To be sure it's the receiver that is bad put a servo-setter to the ESC and ballast servo. If they work that way it's a sure thing the receiver is broke. Do those checks and get back to me.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
            Captain
            • Jan 2020

Possible that if the ESC wires or ballast wires are soldered and you used heat shrink tubing that the water got inside them. I found that as David said blow the electronics with air. Be patient and wait a day or so for all to dry. Also, may need to re program. Also blow out all RX wires and connectors. It is possible that the RX shorted when you powered up before all was 100% dry.
            Last edited by biggsgolf; 03-17-2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• scubaed1911
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jul 2019

Thanks for the info!

Comment

• wlambing
                Commander
                • Nov 2020

Having lived in the world of wetted submarine electronics (both 1:1 scale and models) it is also helpful to soak your modules (rcvr, servo, etc.) in isopropyl alcohol after you have uncased them and blown them dry. The alcohol will remove any residual water and mineral deposits from the boards and wiring that may form from the water evaporating. Let the piece get good and wet (say a 20 minute soak), then remove it from the alcohol and dry naturally. Then test it. In a past life we managed to save the taxpayers many $$$$$ with just a little alcohol and some patience.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
                  Having lived in the world of wetted submarine electronics (both 1:1 scale and models) it is also helpful to soak your modules (rcvr, servo, etc.) in isopropyl alcohol after you have uncased them and blown them dry. The alcohol will remove any residual water and mineral deposits from the boards and wiring that may form from the water evaporating. Let the piece get good and wet (say a 20 minute soak), then remove it from the alcohol and dry naturally. Then test it. In a past life we managed to save the taxpayers many $$$$$ with just a little alcohol and some patience.
                  To buttress William's process with a few twists of my own:

Blow out the boards and components with LP air; soak in isopropyl alcohol while scrubbing everything vigorously with an acid brush; blow down with LP air; place on an oven plate, and bake at 200-degrees for a day or two; garnish to suit taste; serve warm. Yummy!

After our big flood -- three days submersion in brackish sewer water -- Ellie and I were able to save all the electric motors, and about 75% of the electronic devices. What a mess!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1222.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	150510Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1226.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	150511Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1229.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	150512Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1200.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	150513Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1239.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	150514Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1196.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	150515

David
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 06-08-2021, 12:28 PM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Apr 2020

I'll see your flood pic and raise you:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161009_005424.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	150520

That was Matthew in 2017.. or was it 16? They all run together. I know the joy of finding all your r/c electronics underwater.. and I'd love to say that I salvaged most of them but, sadly, given the other priorities after the water receeded, they didn't make it.
                    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by a1965l
                      I'll see your flood pic and raise you:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161009_005424.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	150520

That was Matthew in 2017.. or was it 16? They all run together. I know the joy of finding all your r/c electronics underwater.. and I'd love to say that I salvaged most of them but, sadly, given the other priorities after the water receeded, they didn't make it.
                      Oh... MAN!

You win. You are king of the flood victims. I doff my hat to you, sir.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Apr 2020

And that explains my interest in R/C submarines.... more practical than airplanes, sometimes!

Actually, I hate to derail the post further, but that was actually flood number 4 at that house... the worst, by a foot, but not the first.. you would think I would have sold a long time ago, but man it was a great location...
                        "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• scubaed1911
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Jul 2019

Thanks for the pics!

I replaced seal in aft bulkhead. Several water tests blowing into cylinder hose with no bubbles showing. Condensation problem persists.

Kinda frustrated at this point.

Comment

• biggsgolf
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2020

Double check pump tubing connections? Maybe still not completely dried out…..

Comment

• Aug 2008

Is the pump casing itself leaking? Some do. I have a fix for that.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...