X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

SUBFEST 2023 - Call for volunteers

In preparation for the upcoming event, and in an effort to make it better than ever, I want to delegate some of the responsibilities that I had previously taken on myself or contracted out to other companies. Rather than just hope someone steps up at the event, I would like to see if people will volunteer ahead of time, knowing what the responsibilities and commitments are in advance.

In appreciation for your help, I'm willing to waive the attendance fee for any and all volunteers that are willing to donate a bit of their time at the event in order to help out.

Here is a list of positions that would be ideal to have someone help with:
    1. Videography and photos: Ideally, these volunteers will have experience with taking videos and photos in a somewhat more than casual manner. More than anything else, we want to ensure that we well document the event for those that can't attend, which will also help to further market future SUBFEST events as well. You'll need to ensure that major events such as races, qual exercises, roundtable discussions, etc are all documented, and get that data to me after the event wraps up.
      1. Number needed: at least one, but ideally a couple
      2. Time commitment: likely around an hour per day in total
    2. Front gate: We need a person/people to hang out at the entry gate and check people in. You'll give people an overview of the venue and the agenda, pass out the goodie bags, and hand out shirts to those that pre-ordered them.
      1. Number needed: at least one, but ideally a few people to swap off between each other
      2. Time commitment: probably mornings only. The more people we get, the shorter the time commitment
    3. Interviewer: I want to make sure that we give every skipper a chance to step into the spotlight. A few questions about who they are, where they came from, what they brought, their favorite boat, and what they feel about the event. I'll prepare a list of questions to make things easy, but it's all about having fun and sharing passion, so no worries if the discussion goes in a different (yet still on-topic) direction
      1. Number needed: at least one
      2. Time commitment: assuming we have about 20 skippers who are willing to speak on camera, and at around 15 minutes per skipper, that would be a total of about 5 hours over the 4 days
    4. Qualification Exercise Judges: We are bringing back the qual badges for 2023! We will have 3 stations that will test skipper skills. We need people to talk skippers through the requirements and judge the execution, handing out the pins to successful captains.
      1. Number needed: about 3 people
      2. Time commitment: on and off over the course of three days, likely around an hour or two per day

There may be more opportunity to help, and as those are identified, I'll post them up here. If you think you can help out, please shoot me an email to bob@nautilusdrydocks.com. Once volunteers are locked in, I'll post them up here.

Thanks, everyone!

Bob
    the RCSubGuy
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

I can help out as a Qual judge.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Bob, I am doing checks on my video equipment. Making sure I have enough SD cards etc. I have a GoPro, DSLR and a Handycam and assorted tripods. For whoever is doing the interviewing they can use my Handycam with tripod to record and I can show them how to use it so I am not anchored all day to videoing.

Maybe have a zoom with volunteers prior to Subfest?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
        Bob, I am doing checks on my video equipment. Making sure I have enough SD cards etc. I have a GoPro, DSLR and a Handycam and assorted tripods. For whoever is doing the interviewing they can use my Handycam with tripod to record and I can show them how to use it so I am not anchored all day to videoing.

Maybe have a zoom with volunteers prior to Subfest?
        Fred Freketic will do the drone filming. And I'll do the usual towed camera and FPV thing from the Type-23 again.

I very much support the gathering of event organizer and helpers via zoom sometime in the very near future -- let's coordinate and work out who's doing what and to whom, and who's coming up with the bail-money!

David
        Chief muck-raker
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

I also have a small tripod for the GoPro which I plan to leave running in the water when there are a number of models running to catch some underwater action. Have to check about adding weights to it to make sure it stays in place and does not float away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	172993

Comment

• Aug 2008

Additional camera mounting thoughts for you, Ken:

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

I remember that rig at Groton!
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
              NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
              USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Yea I saw that in-water setup at Groton. Think it was Fred's? I'm not getting that fancy. Only have one GoPro.

Neat transmitter setup. Mind boggling to control the model and point the camera simultaneously. Elle does a nice job modeling it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                  Yea I saw that in-water setup at Groton. Think it was Fred's? I'm not getting that fancy. Only have one GoPro.

Neat transmitter setup. Mind boggling to control the model and point the camera simultaneously. Elle does a nice job modeling it.
                  Yeah. The genesis of the camera-mounted-to-transmitter rig was, "I'm tired of pointing this camera where I THINK your submerged model is. Here! duct take this thing to your transmitter and leave me alone".
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• wlambing
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2020

That Go-Pro rig was indeed Fred's. He's had it at Groton a couple of times, at least.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
                      That Go-Pro rig was indeed Fred's. He's had it at Groton a couple of times, at least.
                      And he'll have it at this year's SubFest. Be there or be square! He and I will be driving up together.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

Today is too last-minute to schedule in conjunction with DiveTribe, so I'll set something up for next weekend. Let's say Sunday the 20th at 3pm central? How does that work for everyone?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                          Today is too last-minute to schedule in conjunction with DiveTribe, so I'll set something up for next weekend. Let's say Sunday the 20th at 3pm central? How does that work for everyone?
                          Works for me. Can we get non-DiveTribe guys into this call as well?

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

I'll be flying back from Michigan in the morning, should be home in time for the 20th at 3 central (4pm eastern)

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Works for me. Can we get non-DiveTribe guys into this call as well?

David
                              Of course! I'll make it an open call for anyone who wants to join in. We can review events and throw out ideas for seminars, talks, presentations, etc.

Comment

Working...