Today's work on the little Revell SKIPJACK fittings kit
Collapse
X
-
Gary, as David said 5 foot is the turning radius (I would have thought it was smaller just from my inaccurate visual). The 1/72 Skipjack works very well in the pool. I am considering building one of these small Skipjacks with my son. -
About five-foot.
Now .... back to you small SKIPJACK.
MLeave a comment:
-
Awww!! Youse guys!! I haven't had this much attention since ah wuz a young'un!!
Crazy is, as crazy does!!
Alright, already!! I'll just git 'er done and intuh the "briney", as it were! Far be it from me tho',the crazy one, to proclaim a
"less-than-somewhat-anally-correct" prototype representation as one of my proudest moments in history!! But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!
I guess the knowledge absorbed by this first outing shall be justification for the lack of "prettied-up"!! Hah!!
I have another virgin 1:230 Skippy kit in my posession, and will do my anal magic (no pun intended?) with her at another point in time.
The Moebius is really cool, but I fear she may be a tad too long to run in my pool!!?? Yes, no?? What's her turning radius?
Ennyhoo, I think I'll be able to do more "Playing" today, than "honeydoing"? But, the jury's still out on that one!!
"Film at eleven"!
And, for the record, Master, the "piston tank thing" is going on the back burner until such time as I can begin my Kilo!!
However, I am appreciating all of the great information I've accumulated from all of my fellow "subnuts"!!
"We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!"
Grasshopper, out!Leave a comment:
-
Damned good advice here, Crazygary. And know that the orthographic projections presented in the Moebius kit are indeed lofted off of Greg's drawings. So, there's your source.You tease us so... Those drawings aren't so easy for mere mortals to obtain.
Crazygary. Look at the cabal reports for the Moebius Skipjack R/C conversion. The Moebius instructions are pretty good, too--even though there's not (nor were ever intended to be) blueprints. HWSNBN used the Sharpe drawings as a reference in his work with Moebius, so even derivative products like the kit instructions start from a good base.
Remember you're working on an old, odd scale boat with known imperfections, which you'll add to somewhat just by making the RC conversion. Save your detail impulses for the 1:72 kit!
But, as Jim suggests -- don't bother! You got bigger fish to fry. Like: get the god-damned model kit finished and working! Do that. First! You want to get all anal on the details? Fine. Later!
And stop counting the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin with the piston tank already -- if you continue to get so caught up in the gee-whiz stuff, you'll never get anything done!
Andy: stop teasing this guy, will ya!?
MLeave a comment:
-
You tease us so... Those drawings aren't so easy for mere mortals to obtain.
Crazygary. Look at the cabal reports for the Moebius Skipjack R/C conversion. The Moebius instructions are pretty good, too--even though there's not (nor were ever intended to be) blueprints. HWSNBN used the Sharpe drawings as a reference in his work with Moebius, so even derivative products like the kit instructions start from a good base.
Remember you're working on an old, odd scale boat with known imperfections, which you'll add to somewhat just by making the RC conversion. Save your detail impulses for the 1:72 kit!Leave a comment:
-
I used the Greg Sharpe drawings, which were based on the BuShips General Arrangement drawings.
MLeave a comment:
-
David-
With reference to your post#50, regarding scribing lines on the hull, did you have a scale drawing with which to determine exactly what goes where?? Or were you able to splash your stencils from the "virgin" hull, and capture the necessary lines from that??
Your assistance, at your convenience, would be greatly appreciated! I'm kind of a "Virgo" detail freak, too!!
Thank you, "Master"!!
Your faithful follower, GrasshopperLeave a comment:
-
O.K., Brother Dave!
The crazy one is back!! Saw your idea concerning tabs on the inside of the Skippy's hull for alignment purposes, and thought that was pretty cool!!
However, did you include them for, perhaps, the same reason I'm putting them in...that being that the upper and lower hull halves fit like a hamburger"??? Mama Mia!!!!!!
Would appear that the good folks at Revell needed to retire their molds, anyway!! A possible reason for the "demise" of the 1:230 model??
The starboard side of the lower half is a good .020 thicker than the port side, and exactly the opposite for the upper half!! Arrgh!!!! These are the times that try mens souls, and destroy what few active brain cells remain!!
Lotsa serious "tab tweaking" to get the upper and lower halves to play nicely with eachother on the exterior surface.
Slowly approaching some degree of success, but....the jury's still out!! Hah!!
Many thanks to the Aztec gods for tequila!!!! No worm, just the cactus squeezins!! YEEEhah!!
crazygary, over 'n' out! ( of my mind??)Leave a comment:
-
I saw the 3 servos in my SD kit when it arrived and wondered....Has the "Mad Modeler" concocted some sinister means of using the dive planes on the sail???
Hmmm!! Would be interesting linkage, me thinks!!Leave a comment:
-
crazygary,
You're looking at the pretty pictures in the ad copy, aren't you?
In those shots I simply show what you CAN do: installing three microbe sized servos in the smaller servo box that is supplied with the SKIPJACK SD -- just for the hell of it.
However, you only need two (of either the micro or microbe sized servos) to operate the dynamically diving SKIPJACK model. The pretty pictures were thrown in there to show what you could do, not what you should do. Those shots taken recently as I played with the just released microbe size servos. Man! ... those things changed EVERYTHING: for example, they make a 1.25" ballast tank equipped SD possible.
Sorry for the confusion ... I blame Mike for putting those shots in that ad copy.
You only need two servos.
MLeave a comment:
-
crazygary,
You're looking at the pretty pictures in the ad copy, aren't you?
In those shots I simply show what you CAN do: installing microbe sized servos in the smaller servo box that is supplied with the SKIPJACK SD -- just for the hell of it.
However, you only need two (of either the micro or microbe sized) servos to operate the dynamically diving SKIPJACK model. The pretty pictures were thrown in there to show what you could do, not what you should do.
Those shots taken recently as I played with the just released microbe size servos. Man! ... those things changed EVERYTHING: for example, they make a 1.25" ballast tank equipped SD possible by permitting placement of the receiver within the servo box.
Sorry for the confusion ... I blame Mike for putting those shots in that ad copy.
You only need two servos.
MLast edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-22-2013, 06:09 PM.Leave a comment:
-
Hi, David!!
I'm finally getting around to building my 1:230 Skippy, and have a "dumb" question regarding the components in the subdriver kit! (Dee,dee,dee!!)
I'm seeing 3 servos! One for steering, one for aft dive planes, and the remaining one for???????? ( A spare??)
Dazed and "corn"fuzed!!
Many thanks for your much appreciated assistance!
crazygaryLeave a comment:
-
Oh! that! Sorry, Myron.
It's a test fitting, used on the prototype to vent the cylinder whenever I pushed a bulkhead into place. The tube is blanked off and serves as a plug.
MLeave a comment:
-
David, I finished the sub about a year ago and I'm referring to the Sub-Driver in this post. (Re: post 156) On the forward bulkhead near the switch you show a hole with a tube in it. Could you tell me what this is and how to do it?Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: