X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hywel
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2022

Periscope STL

Hi RCSubGuy would it be possible to get the periscopes STL file in 3mf format please? This would allow easy printing/selection of individual periscopes and potentially give slicers less grief when they’re slicing for printing.

thank you for considering!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Nope. Sorry. Tis what 'tis.

I can probably save each periscope as a separate STL if that will help, but I'd better hear a monstrous thank you, for the effort! ;)

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by hywel
      Hi RCSubGuy would it be possible to get the periscopes STL file in 3mf format please? This would allow easy printing/selection of individual periscopes and potentially give slicers less grief when they’re slicing for printing.

thank you for considering!
      hywel,

If you can't go with Bob's suggestion, I would recommend using brass tubing and rod in different sizes and manufacture your own!?

Rob
      Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• hywel
        Lieutenant
        • Aug 2022

Thanks RCSubGuy, I wouldn’t want to ask for all that work on your part! I was thinking that a different format would be a quick option, I know you’re super busy so no need, thank you!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Hywel,
          Get ahold of me and let us talk. I can help you on the scopes, I believe.
          peace,
          tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Scott T
            Commander
            • May 2009

If I understand correctly the scopes are included with the whole printable submarine file.
            Since periscopes, elevators, rudders and other appendages get busted what would you think of packaging them as sets.
            Then charge $ for appendage file set.

Example: Put all submarines already available periscopes in one file.
            Put all submarines already available rudders, elevators in one file.

When you complete a whole new submarine file add the appendages to the sets.
            The whole submarine files would still come complete with all appendages though.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Scott,

I'm not following you. If someone buys the file package, and it includes everything they need, why would they need a separate file package for parts prone to breakage? Why not simply find the needed file and print out another one?

If you're talking about appendages and masts for boats other than the one that I offer, for example a Thor Seawolf that has a broken prop shroud, then what you're talking about is not feasible. Part fitment would be completely different. Parts are not inherently interchangeable between all models.

Bob

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

I re-read the post and the person asked for a different file format.
                You mentioned saving scope as a separate STL file.
                My thought was if you sold scope and appendage files for a few bucks it might lead to the sale of the more costly Submarine file.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Aug 2020

Back on point: The 3mf file format being requested for NDD 3D-printable objects has plenty of advantages and could be more popular than STL. But it's not. Yet.

While it may not be perfect, the STL format remains the most widely used format for hobbyist 3D printing. Batch file format conversion is common on large file-sharing websites, but their sales volume justifies the option.

Online (free) file conversion websites exist:

Convert STL to 3MF for free - ImageToStl​
                  Convert STL to 3MF For Free! (fabconvert.com)​
                  3MF to STL: online 3MF to STL converter for free (aspose.app)

Comment

Working...