Hoping for some honest feedback about the Drydocks site!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Hoping for some honest feedback about the Drydocks site!

I know you have them... those frustrations and observations about the Drydocks website. Well... I have a call with a rep from my website hosting provider on how to optimize the site and to provide feedback on their services. Most importantly, I'd love to make the site better, easier to navigate, with needed features, etc. Can't do that without your help.

If you have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions, now would be an awesome time to pass them along! You can post here or hit me up direct at bob@rc-sub.com. I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks, all!

Bob
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

To be specific Bob...

The ND Website?
    Forums?
    Both?

Ed
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I can find my way around the site okay, but it looks a bit busy in places, especially the home page. Main logo needs to be made much bigger. I'd ditch the calendar and just put the current/forthcoming dates up for your Youtube and Dive tribe meetings and make them easy to read.

I think OTW's and Norbert Bruggens new(ish) shop site have a nice clean look.

I'd also look at how easy your site is to read and navigate on a small smart phone.

Comment

• Miznitic
        Ensign
        • Oct 2020

Updated products? Been waiting for sub drivers for a while now.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
          To be specific Bob...

The ND Website?
          Forums?
          Both?

Ed
          Talking about www.nautilusdrydocks.com specifically.

Comment

• Bob Gato
            Captain
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
            I bigger. I'd ditch the calendar .....
            LOL..I wouldn't ditch the calendar... I'd add a monthly surprise picture of a boat to the calendar, either being built or running-this would attract people to check the site every month to see "who's" boat is the "calendar girl"

Comment

• gantu
              Commander
              • Apr 2009

I have visited many websites and found that many are boring. It is because man needs visual change to awaken interest. There should be movement on the Internet site here and there a new background image for example. The pages that you had visited before and look the same again do not awaken new or interest. And for me kepp it simple not so much blig and bang moving banners.
              Regards Gantu

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Okey dokey....

Access!

Everything "should" be ONE click away, two MAX. But I understand that may be difficult. But if you can organize if like that, with emphases as viewing it from the perspective of a 5yo child, you'll do wonders, especially for the Seniors crowd (yep, that's a dig) where I hear most complaints from regarding Web Site ergonomics.

Here is an example:

I just got and alert that the Dive Tribe meet I forgot about is in 2 minutes....GO! (I'm old and cranky, gotta go boot up the Apple since that's the "friendly" machine)

So I click on my trusty bookmark and end up here...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 1.jpg Views:	33 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	148681

What a handsome guy on the lower right (one of my favorite pic's though makes me realize Capt. von Kloss is a paternal twin)

So I select "Log In" Click 1

I get to here.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2.jpg Views:	33 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	148685

In my joy, I see Google already filled it in, less typing! Click 2

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 3.jpg Views:	32 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	148683

In my angst, I realize I was to hasty and not reading it was meant for new members (the default), I must go BACK!! Click 3

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 4.jpg Views:	32 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	148684
                ALL RIGHT!! Almost there!! Click 4

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 5.jpg Views:	33 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	148686

WTF?? Where's the Dive Tribe button...I must join?? Why not hit THAT button as I should've in the first place (still like that guy on the right!)

Click 6

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 6.jpg Views:	32 Size:	65.5 KB ID:	148687

Ah HA!! I must be close.... something say's "Dive Tribe" home....I can hear HWSNBN telling me to "F*** off" now (words of love!)

Click 7

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 7.jpg Views:	33 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	148688

WTF?!?!?!? For the record, this sent me into an endless loop, that forced me to log out. (If I could PUNCH that smiley chat face)

Clicks later

I got back to this screen.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2.jpg Views:	32 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	148692

Smart, I select the RIGHT screen as Signing iin is NOT default....

Click +1

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 4.jpg Views:	32 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	148693
                Finally, I arrive....
                Click +2

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot Final.jpg Views:	33 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	148694

Now this is actually what occurred right now, and seems to be the ONLY "issue" I have with the ND site. For the record, I am a tad computer savvy, having received an MCSE Cert back in the day, but you HAVE to look at this through the eyes of someone who is not tech savvy, and will get eastly frustrated, as this real life example tries to do.

Again for most people, after they learn the nuances of a particular site, they'll just get on with the business at hand and live with it.

I'm all about efficiency, make it easy and they'll come.

The following link is a good example of 1-2 click access, I set up my own Google Drive this way and it's done wonders for information retrieval. The goal to why we're here in the first place.
                The Best Way to Manage Files and Folders (ABC Method)

The point Bob, is bells, whistles and "prettiness" aside. it has to be easy and efficient to get the data.

Attached Files
                Last edited by QuarterMaster; 03-25-2021, 03:27 PM.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Scott T
                  Commander
                  • May 2009

Could you let Amazon sell your product and they make the sale / order page?

Comment

• biggsgolf
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2020

Bob, needs to be more smartphone/tablet friendly. Example, sometimes on my ipad when I select “shop” it displays a drop down with all categories, other times it display a page with some but not all categories, for example 3D Files is not shown.
                    I thing on main page all categories should be listed, rather then “shop”.
                    I like the Calender.
                    Would like a “New Products” category which takes me to all new or “back in stock” listings, cross linking? Updates daily
                    Within each category would like it showing newest products first.
                    More information/photos of all products viewable by “Next”, rather then as is now selecting dots. Needs to pop-up to photos to click thru.
                    bruce

Comment

• biggsgolf
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2020

Direct link to RC Submarine YouTube Channel(s)
                      Ability for purchasers of The Nautilus Drydocks Company Products to post videos of those products, or links to those videos, monitored of course

Comment

• biggsgolf
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2020

Bob, the site is looking awesome so far today!

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Loving the site Bob. Easy to navigate - soft on the eyes.
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

The only thing I can see is maybe getting rid of dead links, as I run into “product can not be found”. Maybe getting rid of boats that you know won’t be available again. Other than that, looks fine.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...