Group feedback wanted. What would you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • type7
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2009

I totally agree with Subculture. In my town there are a lot of people interested in fests and sports but not enough people to support a real hobby shop. Thanks to the internet more is available to us, at a lower cost, than ever before.
    Bob, any chance of a larger Disney Nautilus being available again? Is the navy's Nautilus over really going to be available? 1/72 scale? How about a conversion kit to make a George Washington out of the Moebius Skipjack?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

I was looking more "big picture", but I'll take note of your requests for hulls!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Just came back from CES show, wow. There are a couple of items that I saw that applied to our world. New Thunder Tiger Sub and an outfit that is coming out with a submersible that has sonar, lights, camera, and a lure/bait holder. Yeah, you read that right. If the pictures come out I will post them. Other than that, there are smaller cameras, laser engravers, and connectors that were interesting and applicable to our hobby.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Laser engravers you say? Do tell.

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Conversion kits, from gas based sub driver to sas!
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by HardRock
              Laser engravers you say? Do tell.
              Oh yes!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Lazer_01.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	118706

A photo does not show the details as seeing it in person. Epilog had a medium laser engraver there. It cut a strip of these in 7 minutes.

Name:	Lazer_02.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	118707

Name:	Lazer_03.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	118708

The t-rex is a cardboard simple sliced object.

It can cut a lot of materials (like styrene, wood, and aluminum). It does not work with brass, steel, or other bare metals. For those types of metals, their CO2 laser is available.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

CO2 laser? Hummmmm, wonder if anyone down here has one of those.

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Hi Bob
                  I'm not sure whether this is David's baby still - or came across with Casewell, (so apologies in advance if I'm out of turn here to David and yourself) but David has a GRP Albacore in 1/60 that he was working on. From photos I have seen on the forum it was not too far off being done. I was wanting one now for many years. Is this something that you have acquired to do or is it still with David?

Re the hull list and size. Whilst I tend to go for 1/72 - it's an Australian popular scale - a bit like 1/96 for North Americans, I do echo other's comments. Smaller models do lend themselves to ease of operation. That said I think you work out what there is a market for and go for what works for you.

Cheers

John

John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                  Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
                    Hi Bob
                    I'm not sure whether this is David's baby still - or came across with Casewell, (so apologies in advance if I'm out of turn here to David and yourself) but David has a GRP Albacore in 1/60 that he was working on. From photos I have seen on the forum it was not too far off being done. I was wanting one now for many years. Is this something that you have acquired to do or is it still with David?

Re the hull list and size. Whilst I tend to go for 1/72 - it's an Australian popular scale - a bit like 1/96 for North Americans, I do echo other's comments. Smaller models do lend themselves to ease of operation. That said I think you work out what there is a market for and go for what works for you.

Cheers

John
                    The ALBACORE masters, tools, and parts are mine. Here, ready to be turned into a kit when and if time permits.

These shots are of a hybrid assembled from an old set of Sub-Tech vacuformed hull halves, the rest of this model are parts produced from my own masters and tools:

And this is the hull master that will eventually lead to GRP parts:

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubHuman
                      Hello, everyone!

Now that some of the teething pains from the transition are over with, I'm starting to put more thought into what the ideal scope of products and services should look like for the Drydocks. Despite my 15+ years in the hobby, I am not so naive as to believe I know what everyone wants or needs.
                      As a humble dude who tries to build everything from scratch less the actual hull, I'm a big "components" guy. I love your current selection and anything to expand it would be appreciated. IE: A good linear servo selection would be great in our application as I tend to use the EMS/JOMAR BB S3003 Conversions.

As far as a radio line, I'm probably the only proponent for 2.4Ghz. Perhaps premodified RX's with Dave's coax mod would help. I found a good source of premade inline RG178 connectors that would allow a 2" tail at the RCVR end so it's not "married" to the bulkhead. Even though I design PCB's for a living, I still hate soldering them at that level myself. Give me a good old 1/4W Axial resistor to solder anytime over surface mount soldering RG178 braid/center conductor anytime! But it works, and rock solid at PD.

You have shaft seals, how about pushrod seals, antenna glands, etc..

But in the end, sometimes the best plan is not to have a "plan" and let it flow as the Bubbleheads dive.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2009

48 inch typhoon

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Kehrer did a really nice small Typhoon hull at 1/150. That works out a little bit under four feet at around 44 inches, so pretty close. They only appear to list the larger 1/100 scale hull now, but they might have the odd hull or two, so worth an email to ask if you're interested. Failing that, there are probably one or two gathering dust in attics or cupboards willing to be liberated in exchange for some beer vouchers.

Kehrer Modellbau - KMB JET28-water jet propulsion units and -parts, hulls and superstructures as well as accessories for individually built jet-prope…

Comment

• george
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2010

I second the wish for a small 1/150 Typhoon. Went to the German site, to confirm there is No 1/150 Typhoon anymore BUT when you convert Euros to either U.S or Canadian PLUS shipping!!!!!
                            We need a North American producer! I know it is ugly but so are some other Russian ones. Something a little different.
                            George

Comment

Working...