Group feedback wanted. What would you like to see?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Hey Bob,

I'm just going to get my oar in here - I'd like anything in 1/96, especially a Kilo or a Sierra. Oh and I'd also like some nude photographs of Greenman if you have any? (I know that I can sell them elsewhere for a tidy profit - those European guys will pay ANYTHING to get hold of somthing like that!!!)

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Dragon Shark is twice the price of the Red Shark. Plus it has an x-tail instead of a more conventional cruciform tail arrangement, great for agility, but requires a mixer of some sorts- extra complication.

KISS.

Robbe Seawolf sold just fine as a dynamic diver, and many people added their own ballast system or adapted an engel tank etc.

For the price of a Dragon Shark kit, you could probably fully kit out a Red shark with radio and all electronics needed, and overall cost is going to be fairly comparable to a decent RC car, aeroplane etc. But it's your business and your call.

Adam Carlson was putting together a design for a small 75mhz receiver, which could also be used for larger models. I believe it can be adapted for use with 40mhz too, so if they were available in that frequency you may pick up some orders overseas, as 40mhz users aren't exactly spoilt for choice these days.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Thank you Andy, I did not respond back sooner to Bob's question of who and it is Adam Carlson that I was referring to.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by HardRock
          Hey Bob,

I'm just going to get my oar in here - I'd like anything in 1/96, especially a Kilo or a Sierra. Oh and I'd also like some nude photographs of Greenman if you have any? (I know that I can sell them elsewhere for a tidy profit - those European guys will pay ANYTHING to get hold of somthing like that!!!)
          Nude photos of Greenman are a rare commodity indeed. Bob definitely doesn't have any. I don't think even Greenman has any............................(if you've got a buyer............we will talk)
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Buellman1
            Lieutenant
            • Mar 2013

I'd be interested in 3d printer files for miscellaneous parts or even full boats. Printing stuff and selling them may not be very profitable, but selling buyers the files and letting them print the parts themselves is another avenue.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Buellman1
              I'd be interested in 3d printer files for miscellaneous parts or even full boats. Printing stuff and selling them may not be very profitable, but selling buyers the files and letting them print the parts themselves is another avenue.
              An interesting proposal. I deal a lot with 3D printing for work. One of the biggest challenges is the propensity for people to "share". Sure, the file might have been sold once to the first person, but after that it can basically be considered public domain as emailing the file to friends is simply a click away.

I could certainly see putting out files for things like WTC bulkheads, brackets or other things to make a build easier. Perhaps even files for full boats that have no plans for offering for sale. 3D printing will change the world, I have zero doubts, starting with how companies make money and the death of owned intellectual property.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman

An interesting proposal. I deal a lot with 3D printing for work. One of the biggest challenges is the propensity for people to "share". Sure, the file might have been sold once to the first person, but after that it can basically be considered public domain as emailing the file to friends is simply a click away.

I could certainly see putting out files for things like WTC bulkheads, brackets or other things to make a build easier. Perhaps even files for full boats that have no plans for offering for sale. 3D printing will change the world, I have zero doubts, starting with how companies make money and the death of owned intellectual property.
                And so ends a Craft.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                  Commander
                  • May 2009

3d printed bayonet locking ring similar to Engel product

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

And so ends a Craft.

David
                    A bit pessimistic, Dave.

Additive manufacturing, a term I prefer to 3d printing, is good at certain things, making little 'widgety' bits, or things that would extremely hard to machine, or impossible to make in other ways with in a single piece or process.

However it sucks at some things, and traditional methods of making items will remain.

Additive manufacturing really works well for items that would traditionally be cast or injection moulded. A lot of the things that modellers would often buy ready made using those processes will be available in printed format.

Traditional crafts will still exist so long as they're passed down the generations and the application of them is an enjoyable process.

Comment

• Scott T
                      Commander
                      • May 2009

What this is suppose to be enjoyable? :)

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture

A bit pessimistic, Dave.

Additive manufacturing, a term I prefer to 3d printing, is good at certain things, making little 'widgety' bits, or things that would extremely hard to machine, or impossible to make in other ways with in a single piece or process.

However it sucks at some things, and traditional methods of making items will remain.

Additive manufacturing really works well for items that would traditionally be cast or injection moulded. A lot of the things that modellers would often buy ready made using those processes will be available in printed format.

Traditional crafts will still exist so long as they're passed down the generations and the application of them is an enjoyable process.
                        Been to any modeling clubs lately? How many kids in attendance?

We're the last of the breed, Andrew. Hobby shops don't even stock balsa and dope.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

To be fair; hobby shops here in the Land Down Under (where women glow and men chunder) Do stock balsa and dope, but they don't stock Renshape, foam, two part silicon, casting resin, mold release agents, photo etching kits etc etc. I'm pretty sure that we have the obligatory, pimply faced shop attendant who doesn't give a rat's arse, however.

Comment

• Davidh
                            Captain
                            • Nov 2010

That's right Scott,

Because they are too busy checking their phone constantly, to see what's happening on social media or what the cricket score is. Yes they do stock Balsa and Dope but no body knows how to use it anymore because nobody in Australia makes anything anymore.

You have to remember the only 'creative' people are the theatrical types and celebrities because us model makers are silly little nerdy types that get no media attention or respect....

Oh how cynical I've become, you and me buddy, one Russian boat at a time...

How is Romeo? I want to see pics.

Dave

P.S your make over of Resolution is still awesome......

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I never recall modelmaking being much a younger mans pursuit. I always recall being the youngster at clubs in the past, with other members being middle aged or older.

I think there was a big surge of enthusiasm for modelmaking starting from about the mid seventies when affordable multi channel R/C first came onto the market. Integrated circuitry brought down the price, and the reliability dramatically improved. It was still expensive, much more so than today, but affordable for the average enthusiast, and it opened up a lot of possibilities.

I think that enthusiasm remained for about a decade or so, but by the mid eighties, these things had become common place- the novelty had worn off for many. Home computers started to take off, and the masses moved onto other things.

That left the hardcore to do their thing, but I think since then, the hobby has got itself into a bit of a rut. Many clubs and societies are populated by either careworn individuals, or the type that like to go round with pen and clipboard, quoting rules and regs, Well you need to have some standards within an organisation, but generally it's taken too far and it tends to alienate most people who just want to enjoy a pastime without too much interference.

There's a lot of competition out there now for peoples spare time. I work with a lot of younger people in a technical field. When they're off on leave or on rest, they tend to go off travelling, or they go to some festival etc. You get some who like to have a mess around with motor cars etc. But I don't know of anyone practicing modelmaking.

Having said that, the range and quality of items on the market, both for the kit builder and the scratchbuilder has never been better. Someone must be buying all this stuff!

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

That's true. The model drones are big these days. I've known sub guys who have entirely or close to it have gone into other fields like 1/5 scale cars or the drones. I've always been multi-distracted. Multi in that I've been involved with HO trains, RC cars and trucks, fast electric, nitro and gas boats as well as submarines. I've given upon the trains but still dabble in all of the other. I have this Voracious appetite for plunking around in the various RC disciplines. I can't see that changing anytime soon.
                                IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...