• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    All this reminds me to finish a long overdue build-up of a 1/144 Type 214
    Looks like it was worth the wait, though. The Sub-Driver looks so much more advanced than the (kit) version originally offered with the mini-Skipjack.

Photos indicate fixed forward dive planes. Looks hard to rig up with such limited space in the Sub-Driver, so I'd assume the only way you'd bother trying is if the aft planes were insufficient.

Any expected or proven issues with ballast/foam?

Looking forward to sea trials!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Mea culpa- I forgot to allow for the thickness of the plastic moulding. Sounds like a candidate for a dry hull conversion.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
        Looks like it was worth the wait, though. The Sub-Driver looks so much more advanced than the (kit) version originally offered with the mini-Skipjack.

Photos indicate fixed forward dive planes. Looks hard to rig up with such limited space in the Sub-Driver, so I'd assume the only way you'd bother trying is if the aft planes were insufficient.

Any expected or proven issues with ballast/foam?

Looking forward to sea trials!

Me too!

Two very big 'enabling technologies' (I promised myself to use that phrase at least once before I died!) occurred since the initial effort to get the Type-214 to work as a practical r/c model submarine:

1. perfection of a reliable, easy to manufacture ballast tank vent and

2. identification and incorporation of the extremely powerful and small linear servos.

What killed by initial attempts was the failure of the vent to seal properly each and every time -- the initial design was good, a guillotine type valve. But, what was needed was a means to hold the vent valve rubber element down tight on the vent hole when in the closed position. I found that by placing a magnet atop the rubber element, and a magnet within the ballast tank -- that follows the upper magnet -- they're mutual attraction working to compress the rubber element down tight on the vent hole.

And with the little microbe sized servos I could now mount most of the devices under them in the servo box, freeing up space within the cylinder sections for ballast tank and batteries.

Trimming should not be an issue.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Mornin', David, and a very Merry Christmas to you and the rest of our group!!

Am interested in learning a bit more about the "microbe sized servos" you referred to!

Thank you!

crazygary

Comment

• Aug 2008

I got the flu. Leave me alone ....Damit!
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
              Captain
              • Sep 2012

Would wish you a speedy recovery, but don't wanna be the one tuh ruffle yer feathers!!
              Oops!! Accidentally hit the "post quick reply" button!
              Sorry!! Hah!!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Gary,
                Here are two photos of the type of servo used in the sub-driver.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	one and quarter inch sub-driver servos 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	75243Click image for larger version

Name:	one and quarter inch sub-driver servos 1.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	75244
                The most recent servos added to the 1.25" sub-driver is the linear servos. I think that is what David was referring to.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Couple of other micro servos I like are the little rotary orange servo pictured next to a pair of the linear servos for size comparison. Torque is about equal to that of the linear servos, and the weight is also about the same.

Also the Falcon servos, which will be less well known in the States, escept amongst micro/indoor flyers, are superb. These have an advantage over other makes in that they use magnetic feedback device, so no micro pots to wear out. They are much more expensive though, as these are made in the UK not China!

Comment

• Outrider
                    Commander
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                    ...The most recent servos added to the 1.25" sub-driver is the linear servos. I think that is what David was referring to.
                    I share that hunch, though the photos David posted a few days ago in this thread had blue cases and angular actuators. (See below.) My guess is that David will use whatever fits best in a particular application. I don't know if there is any significant difference in the service life (MTBF) of the servos in question or in their cost. If either or both are factors, that would affect what goes into the SubDriver.

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    All this reminds me to finish a long overdue build-up of a 1/114 Type 214

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17656[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17672[/ATTACH]
                    Last edited by Outrider; 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                      Gary,
                      Here are two photos of the type of servo used in the sub-driver.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]17732[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17733[/ATTACH]
                      The most recent servos added to the 1.25" sub-driver is the linear servos. I think that is what David was referring to.
                      Tom! Thanks you so much! I couldnot find those shots to save my life. Thanks for bailing me out, buddy.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
                        I share that hunch, though the photos David posted a few days ago in this thread had blue cases and angular actuators. (See below.) My guess is that David will use whatever fits best in a particular application. I don't know if there is any significant difference in the service life (MTBF) of the servos in question or in their cost. If either or both are factors, that would affect what goes into the SubDriver.
                        Just as soon as I dig myself out I'm gonna use Jim's 214 as a test-mule for the new ballast vent, equip it with the new servos and get it off to him. At this time Caswell-Merriman has no intention of providing servos with our SD's. We're going to produce two 1.25" SD 'kits' One for static diving sub, and one for dynamic diving subs.

Jim has waited way, way too long. Then there is Mamas to attend too ... I've made promises, time to keep them.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Andy, those are so neat looking! You Brit's have all the swell toys!
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Outrider
                            Commander
                            • Aug 2008

Looks like the "lid" is no longer clear... Any reason? I like being able to see what's going on inside the servo compartment...

Comment

• Aug 2008

The clear Lexan was about .080" thick. The G-10 comes in at around .30" The inverse square law rules here (the magnets), so I went with the thinner, stronger lid, Jim. Sorry.

Oh, and CrazyGary: I found those shots you asked for. Sorry, I've been in a fog that last week. See the small kits we can now r/c!?....

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	75304Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	75305Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	75306Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	75307Click image for larger version

Name:	047.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	75308Click image for larger version

Name:	061.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	75309Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	75310Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	75311Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	75312Click image for larger version

Name:	075.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	75313Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	75314Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	75315Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	75316Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	75317Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	75318Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	75319Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	75320Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	75321Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	75322Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	75323Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	75324Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	75325Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	75326Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	75327Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	75328
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

Thanks a bunch to all who have recently posted, with regard to
                                the micro servos. Much appreciated.

The reason I asked in the first place is, since Daves 1 1/4" SD is too big for my Revell 1/144 Type 206A u-boot, I thought I'd play around with the possibility of developing a 1" wtc. Yeah, I know!! Probably can't be done, which is why I'd like to give it a go!!

I'm not only crazy, I'm also a Virgo pain-in-the-a**! Being an old timer machinist, I, at least, have to give it my best shot!!

Am currently just researching really small components to see if I may actually be able to come up with something to fit the really small sub hulls!!

Any further information regarding the servos in your posts would be great!! The tube I'm looking to use is 1" diameter with a 1/16" wall thickness! Kinda hairy, but I'm thinking it's doable!!??

Will keep intouch with all of you if I should happen upon something viable! May, or may not, become something of interest to Mr. Merriman! Jury's still out on the outcome. Once I have something workable, I will, indeed, let you all know!

Any thoughts, or sympathies, will be graciously accepted!!

crazygary

Comment

Working...