Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Okay. didn't know you already had a Kilo. I'd concentrate on that, forget about the others until you get it working. It's just about right sizewise, being small enough for easy transport, but not so small that looks like twig bobbing about in the water.

Comment

• crazygary
      Captain
      • Sep 2012

Mornin', Subculture!!

Living in the foothills east of Fresno, CA, about the only "transporting" I'll have to
      deal with is from my hobby room to our pool!! Hah!! Not much in the way of user-friendly
      bodies of water around here!! Hence my reason for sticking to the smaller subs!

The biggest radius I have is about 7', and I'd rather not have to rely on "Y" turns to
      get my subs back to "base"!!

With that in mind, other than the Trumpeter Kilo, any other subs of about the same size
      out there? I'm sure there are, but would like to hear from those who have
      "been there, done that".

BTW- I really like the looks of the Kilo! Something really cool about the general appearance
      of the attack subs!!

Have a great weekend!

crazygary

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by crazygary
        Mornin', Subculture!!

Living in the foothills east of Fresno, CA, about the only "transporting" I'll have to
        deal with is from my hobby room to our pool!! Hah!! Not much in the way of user-friendly
        bodies of water around here!! Hence my reason for sticking to the smaller subs!

The biggest radius I have is about 7', and I'd rather not have to rely on "Y" turns to
        get my subs back to "base"!!

With that in mind, other than the Trumpeter Kilo, any other subs of about the same size
        out there? I'm sure there are, but would like to hear from those who have
        "been there, done that".

BTW- I really like the looks of the Kilo! Something really cool about the general appearance
        of the attack subs!!

Have a great weekend!

crazygary
        Turns on a dime and gives change.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	75414Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	75415Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	75416Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	75417Click image for larger version

Name:	054.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	75418Click image for larger version

Name:	085.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	75419Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0079.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	75420Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0109.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	75421Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0117.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	75422
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Thanks, David!!

Really like the looks of the Skipjack!! I'm sure that, at some point, she'll becomepart of my "pen"!

Just found, and ordered, a 1/350 Hobby Boss USS Virginia! Really cheap!!!!!
          She looks like a fitting candidate for a conversion! Supposedly, her beam is about 1.9" or so!!
          A might easier for old eyeballs to cobble up a nice wtc! Am really interested in your SNORT, too!!

So many cool possibilities, so little time!! Hah!!

crazygary

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            Turns on a dime and gives change.

David
            We even have a few of these in stock! They have been discontinued by Revell.

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Scott T
              Commander
              • May 2009

So if this is the boat you need to operate the rudder on; how about using some fishing line?
              The fishing line would be threaded through a hole in the rudder like a sewing needle. it would then
              wrap around oposite directions like the steering drum and then both ends wil be threaded back to a
              similar drum in the hull with a crank to operate it. Turn the drum and the fishing line turns the rudder.
              I will look for a better illustration later.

Scott T

Click image for larger version

Name:	206_zps51eccaf5.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	75447Click image for larger version

Name:	can-stock-photo_csp2874683.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	75448

Comment

• Aug 2008

rack-and-pinion
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                  Commander
                  • May 2009

Rack and pinion, I know your right!
                  But fishing line might work for the poor man.

I know build a boat and then we'll allow you to breath. Get well.

Scott T

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ha! ... beat me to it. Thanks. Ellie and I are on the mend. We continue the reign of terror very soon now -- please, stand by.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Thanks guys, but have already found a new home for both the 206A as well as the Lindberg Gato!
                      My wifes young grandson will enjoy the heck out of building them as desktop models!!

BTW Scott T.!! That's an excellent idea!! Had I seen your post earlier, I may well have given that a shot!! Sure sounds
                      feasible!! Gotta remember that one for future reference!! Thanks a bunch!!

Hey, David!! Rack-and-pinion sounds like a "tad" more engineering, but, maybe I can cannibalize my neighbors Beemer!!
                      He's not driving it anyway!! Hah!! Also, hope your path to better health is a quick one!! Best wishes!

Happy New Year to all, and to all a good night!! Oops!! Hold on! Wrong holiday, right??? DOH!!!!!!!!!!

crazygary

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Happy New Year everyone.

That rack and pinion/windlass system would be great for working the rudder on the upcoming 1/35 Type XXIII from Bronco (hopefully this year).
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• crazygary
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2012

Hi, David!!

With regard to the photos you posted in post #29, which I thank you much for, the last 6, or so, are showing that you milled a slot on top of the wtc tube to guide some sliders of some sort. What exactly are they all about?? They appear to have something to do with rudder and dive plane actuation??? Yes, no?? Or maybe something to do with the ballast system?? Whatever they're all about, it definitely looks pretty danged "official"!! Hah!

Please 4-1-1 when you have a chance!
                          crazygary

Comment

• Aug 2008

The slot atop the motor bulkhead was to clear the pushrods in the little SKIPJACK -- it's that tight back there.

The milled slot over the ballast tank guides the guillotine type valve that vents the tank. A holding fixture permits quick production work on the overhead milling machine.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2012

Very cool, David!!

Being an old machinist, things like this can really get your juices flowing!!
                              Thanks for sharing your ideas! Much appreciated!

So, what I'm "seeing" is that the pushrods are moved linearly via some
                              sort of magnetic assiciation between the internal servos and external rod "carriers"??
                              Gotta be some really serious magnets!!

Thanks again for your indulgence, David!! Way cool stuff!

crazygary

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by crazygary
                                Very cool, David!!

Being an old machinist, things like this can really get your juices flowing!!
                                Thanks for sharing your ideas! Much appreciated!

So, what I'm "seeing" is that the pushrods are moved linearly via some
                                sort of magnetic assiciation between the internal servos and external rod "carriers"??
                                Gotta be some really serious magnets!!

Thanks again for your indulgence, David!! Way cool stuff!

crazygary
                                And thank you, Gary.

In the Navy I was thrown out of more SIMA and tender machine-carpentry-rubber-foundry-sheet metal shops than I care to remember -- I would just march in there, grab what I needed off the rack and chuck up/rip/join/lay-out/cast/or bang together whatever I needed; acting like I owned the place.

We Diver's were arrogant ****s.

However, it never lasted for long, as eventually a Repair Officer or work-space supervisor would post a picture of me in the work centers office with a cryptic note attached, reading something like this: 'Keep this jive-ass Torpedoman in Greens out of our workspaces!'

I'm Self taught, and have nine and-three-quarters fingers to prove it. I learned spindle speed and feed rates by how many minutes I could turn or mill something without it flying across the compartment.

The magnets are those little discs you get from http://www.gaussboys.com/ As magnetic force is ruled by the inverse-square law, you strive to keep the servo box top as thin as possible, G-10 of about .025" works well in this application, Gary.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...