Moebius (Revell) Skipjack Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The composition of that photo is STUNNING!. Thanks for the shout-out, Tom.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

I thought somewhere along the line on your build blog that I saw where David was doing the detailed work for your Skipjack! Kudos to both you and David for a magnificent boat!!

I am hoping that one of these days I can pull my Skipjack down and do some detail work on it. Right now it's just out of the can simple 6' distance scale!

I tried to do some of the scale work like what you have on yours, and all I managed to do was screw it up bad! So I just masked it off and rattle canned back to black! I look at all the techniques you guys use to achieve such scale looking boats, and at this point I just do not have the skills or the PATIENCE yet!! I am working on it! Then I need to get away from the surface runner stigma that I seem to be stuck in, and install a proper MSD in this boat to make it a true submarine!! More to do and much more to learn! I am so grateful to have you guys around to walk me through this stuff. I would have quite along time ago if it were not for all your help along the way!!! (Sorry I get carried away)

Rob
      ​​​​​​​"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• bwi 971
        Captain
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by trout
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_01_2021_bfirst run of season.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	146709 Got a run in recently at Lake Meade.....
        #+ hours of running and no issues. Good day.
        Stunning picture and sub Tom, incredible
        grtz,
        Bart
        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Thank you all for the compliments. There are a couple of items that make this photo and one is not me. The painting on this hull, that David did, is colorful and interesting. The second is the subject. The Skipjack is just a sexy sub. Just like some cars just look good because of their lines, I feel the same about the Skipjack. It is a classic submarine.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

The Maserati's of the Fleet: Fast, Loud, and Sexy!
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

I don't know about weathering mine more.....I like the look of is and would not want to mess it up. That being said, and just in case someone dos not know, this sub was originally painted by David. Fortunately Rustoleum still has the same colors and they matched up well for the red on the hull and the darkest black used on the sub. I did find this photo of a Skipjack class sub still being worked on and tested out:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0087.JPG Views:	246 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	141878
              Which boat is this?
              Last edited by Das Boot; 04-24-2021, 04:51 PM.
              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Scamp - http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08588.htm
                Scamp (SSN-588) at her berth at Mare Island on 14 April 1961 with the yard's diving barge alongside preparing for sea trials.“
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Scamp - http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08588.htm
                  Scamp (SSN-588) at her berth at Mare Island on 14 April 1961 with the yard's diving barge alongside preparing for sea trials.“
                  I sent you a PM.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...