Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I don't know about weathering mine more.....I like the look of is and would not want to mess it up. That being said, and just in case someone dos not know, this sub was originally painted by David. Fortunately Rustoleum still has the same colors and they matched up well for the red on the hull and the darkest black used on the sub. I did find this photo of a Skipjack class sub still being worked on and tested out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	141878
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Thank you, those are very kind words. I have no problem weathering. Just not sure what I will do on this boat yet. I have so much respect for David's work that doing anything major would feel like me painting on the Mona Lisa.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Weather that thing, Tom!
        Says the man with a shiny propellor on a weathered sub LOL

I will do bird poop on the rudder, in honor of David.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Last major addition to the sub is lighting it. I originally was going to run the lights of the batteries in the sub, but got lazy/distracted what ever you call it, and decided to make a battery holder. It is printed in a tough material that flexes, so it is not brittle by any means. The wires run out of each end of the battery holder and a reed switch is installed on the positive end (doesn't matter what polarity it is installed on). At the bottom tf the picture is two magnet holders. One is far enough away for the reed switch not to be active (the off position or stowage) and the other holder keeps the magnet close enough for the reed switch to turn the lights on.

Name:	IMG_2514.jpeg
Views:	439
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	142696

Name:	IMG_2515.jpeg
Views:	442
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	142697

Name:	IMG_2517.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	142698

Name:	IMG_2516.jpeg
Views:	440
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	142699
          At minimum, I need to add bird poop on the rudder as a tribute to David (I promised I would) and at most full on weather this boat.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

No flak here, at least from me. I have seen good weathering and some not so perfect. All are great because someone tried. How do you get better unless you try? right?
            I have weathered and clean subs, love them both. Now need to find reference photos of bird poop on rudders.......never thought I would every type that. LOL

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Name:	Protester.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	142715
              Not a bird!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Thank you Rob and David!

Comment

• CC Clarke
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Aug 2020

Every submarine has (at least) one SPM. The exterior hull plate is mounted to the bottom of the motor like the pair in the attached picture, (from a skimmer) and the whole assembly is lowered, then turned as necessary to maneuver the ship.

Click image for larger version  Name:	594 Class SPM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	143170

Click image for larger version  Name:	SPM Skimmer Model.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.3 KB ID:	143171
                  Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-29-2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

Probably the most challenging aspect of integrating an SPM is applying an encoder-equipped motor that moves the SPM in azimuth but can be "homed" or indexed to a 000 position before retracting flush into the hull when no longer needed. A push-pull action via servo would work for lowering/retraction. Not an impossible job, but the devil is always in the details - like bow planes that fold down and then move in pitch.

Here's a shot of the working end of an SPM on the Henry Clay. It isn't framed well enough to show the hull fairing plate below the motor housing though. I made a 3D model of one and have it submerged deep in my 3D library somewhere - I can't remember the boat I used it for, but if I locate it, I'll post some renders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Henry Clay SPM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.5 KB ID:	143179

CC
                    Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-29-2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2013

A few of us here are building 1/72 Harbour tugs with azi pods, instead of having 360deg movement like the real tugs we settled on 180 with reversible motors using servos that give 90deg either side (we used extended arms on the servo to give the extra travel). For a SPM you could use one of those tiny coreless motors with a small servo and tiny esc in fwd battery compartment.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Aug 2020

Found some more SPM reference material for several US nukes. 726 Class has two, which look very close to the previous shot I posted based on the hull curvature. Since I couldn't find my old 3D model, I built another (688 Style) this afternoon.

CC

Name:	637 SPM.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	143213

Name:	726 Class SPM.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	143214

Name:	688 SPM.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	143215

Name:	688 SPM Rigged for Removal.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	143216

Name:	637 Class SPM Fairing Plate.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	143217

Name:	688 Class SPM Fairing Plate.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	143218

Name:	688 Class SPM Location.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	143219

Name:	SPM 02.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	143221

Name:	SPM 03.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	143222

Name:	SPM 01.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	143220

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

CC Clarke,

Your photos are really great for explaining how these SPM's actually function! And if someone were to feel they could add these to a Submarine build the photos would be a great help! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and putting this information up!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Name:	Skipjack_01_2021_bfirst run of season.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	146709 Got a run in recently at Lake Meade.....
                            #+ hours of running and no issues. Good day.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Skipjack_01_2021_bfirst run of season.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	146709 Got a run in recently at Lake Meade.....
                              #+ hours of running and no issues. Good day.
                              That's a great photo Tom! Can't say enough about your build, your workmanship and the finish work are spot on!

Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Weeellllll, not so fast on the compliments. LOL, our David Merriman painted this hull. He was gracious to let me have the hull to finish and get running. So, if doing minor touch up and a final clear coat or two is what you are referring to, I will take credit. LOL
                                On a serious note. The Skipjack is a great running sub. Really like how it handles in the water.

Comment

Working...