• Show
Clear All
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Moebius SeaView RC Conversion Build

I have two subs coming.
    :D
    Looking at the Dave Merriman/Mike Caswell Snort D&E Sub-Driver conversion kit for one model positively.

I like two ideas that were incorporated by Dave Welch. No cutting and pumpjet openings in the keel. I should be able to make the Merriman one with the seam method. I may go without front dive planes. I would rather not cut any part of the model if I can help it. While a RCABS worked well for Steve Neills and I do have a RCABS pump from Art Broder, I am thinking I might try a bladderbag and two way water pump if I can get a BigDave WTC Seaview Kit and Pumpjet.

This is Steve Neills RCABS version of BigDaves.

Pics from Steves build, No working front dive planes or sail planes.
    #1 No cutting...only use existing seams with a clever magnetic missle hatch.

Last edited by Kazzer; 01-29-2009, 10:43 PM.
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Steve Neills conversion with BigDave's 550 PumpJet with vents in the keel

Steve Neills SeaView

I have been thinking of adding depth control from the nicelle rear fins like this.

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Very Interesting. I Like it!
      It should have enough rudder and pitch control with that configuration. I think fin dive-planes should be added if it doesn't have any at bow.
      Last edited by toppack; 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• junglelord
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

I will have the sail dive planes working.
        I am going to open the sail and secure it with magnets.
        Opening the Sail is the only cutting I should have to do.
        I believe I can secure it the way Steve did without any problem with Daves D&E Sub-driver.
        I really do not want to cut the superstructure or the front dive fins on the manta fins.
        Cutting the bottom of the Sail seems unavoidable.
        Securing it with magnets is the ideal thing though.

Both Dave Merriman and Steve Neills did this...although Steve chose to not install the Sail Fins. His runs very well in his video. It has more power I believe then the Dave Merriman 280x2 driven version, which is more scale in operation from what I can tell. Dave Merrimans one full throttle example was very short on the video. I do not believe that Steve Neills ever used full throttle. So its hard to tell, but it would be cool to have two of them to compare. :D

I did find that Steves seemed to turn tighter....why that is, I do not know.
        Last edited by junglelord; 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• junglelord
          Banned
          • Jan 2009

I might try a bladderbag and two way water pump if I can get a BigDave WTC Seaview Kit and Pumpjet.

I was first introduced to this from my web search on my Robbe SeaWolf V2 dynamic diver and wanted to do a static conversion.
          :p

Although Snort and RCABS are the two most promoted methods, with Snort being the real deal, I am amazed that less use or promote a water method with a bladder bag and a two way pump with two simple aquarium valves. Its a better idea then RCABS I believe and maybe equal to do I dare say it, Snort. Subs do take on water as well as Snort air.

Either way I can use my new TX/RX to go this route with my SeaWolf. I only have a three Channel on it which I took from my Spirit Sailplane. It will get a full month of dynamic running with this method. Then I may send for the water pump and bladder bags for the SeaWolf and hopefully the second SeaView. Either way my Granddaugher and I will have two subs for sure and she just loved using the minature with LEDs in the sink with the lights out. I plan to light the SeaView so that the searchlight is very bright.
          Last edited by Kazzer; 01-29-2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• junglelord
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

I thought that the subbay doors held in place by magnets was a possible alternative if I do not make bow fins.

Last edited by junglelord; 01-29-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Nuke Power
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

I was not aware the Big Dave made that as a purchasable kit. To my knowledge he only made 3 of those pump jets for him and close friends.

As for the control surfaces in the manta... you will need them if you want to do anything faster then a small crawl. The shape of this boat causes it to crash dive without compensation.

Comment

• junglelord
                Banned
                • Jan 2009

Your quite correct. Dave is not selling that pumpjet. Him and another person designed it.
                BigDave
                I would be remiss if I did not point out that although I was the one who expertly molded the PPJ parts, and designed the thrust director system. That the pump jet itself was designed by my good friend and fellow 8-Ball Crazy Ivan.
                He is designing a new powersystem. Not sure what the reasoning is behind not selling a few of them.

Concerning the ability to run trim...Steve Neills video.
                I believe that the Debor conversion Merriman did, had no manta dive fins.

I do know that the forward dive momentum given by the manta fins must be corrected.
                If it has to be then it has to be. I am going to be more confident about cutting when I watch the DVD.

I am just looking at all possible options for the sub.
                I can make the first one 100% Merriman and intend to suck it up and cut if I have too...oh those manta fins..
                but if ADF and fixed vanes can do the job, I will go that route. Steve Neills video gives me hope I can skip that part.
                I will not be running it fast anyway.

Then again I suppose if it could run trim without them, Dave Merriman would not have created them.
                Last edited by Kazzer; 01-29-2009, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008

There is a reason David added them since the Debor. Did you see half way through the video when it took a nose dive. If you watch SC Regatta 08 video there are some nice underwater shots of the 2 boats driving in the same pond and you can see what a diff they make.

Comment

• junglelord
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

I am sure that I will be able to cut them properly and "professionally" with the help of the Dave Merriman 5 DVD set.

Thanks everyone for all the time to "steer" me in the right direction.
                    I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• junglelord
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rogue Sub
                      There is a reason David added them since the Debor. Did you see half way through the video when it took a nose dive. If you watch SC Regatta 08 video there are some nice underwater shots of the 2 boats driving in the same pond and you can see what a diff they make.
                      That I have not watched. Do you have a link?

I am a newbie....so my hobby cutting skills are newbie too.
                      :(

I have never even taken out my Robbe SeaWolf yet.
                      I let it sit all summer long due to my older Robbe Plans and a new V2 version.
                      I had cemented the front hull together, which was the old plan.
                      Censored

I did however sit down in Janurary and did figure out how to complete the unit. So this is going to be a big summer for me and my granddaughter. After some consideration I am confident I can cut those manta fins.
                      I'll drink to THAT!
                      Last edited by junglelord; 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• junglelord
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009

I am confident in Dave's conversion.
                        I have some doubts about my cutting skills.
                        :rolleyes:

That's easy, just set it up with Merrimans Dremel Jig and practice once on a 4" plastic pipe.
                        I have a Dremel but it is not variable speed. Will this matter?
                        Thanks.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2008

As long as it cuts the hull it works. The jig is important aswell so dont rush.

Comment

• toppack
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
                            Thanks.
                            When cutting styrene-plastic the saw blade needs to go as slow as possible, or it will Melt it more than cut it.
                            And at high speed it's much more difficult to hold steady also.
                            So I suggest getting one with varible speed.
                            So you won't make Mistakes so Quickly. :D LOL :D
                            Last edited by toppack; 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM.
                            Rick L.
                            --------------------------------------------
                            * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                            Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
                              Thanks.

Whoa ... whoa, horsey!

Removing the superstructure off the SEAVIEW involves no Dermal tool cutting. It's all hand scribing and work with a #11 blade.

Buy and watch the frig'n DVD set!

You're confusing the GATO conversion with the SEAVIEW conversion.

You people! ....

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...