Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Needle noose pliers small and large I have. Various tweezers as well.
    I also have the cutters. I need to get a vice.
    I got this today from my brother.
    It was being thrown out at Canadian Tire

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Looks like a great set. :)
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• junglelord
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

Yeah, just lucky that more bits were coming my way for free.
        Someone up there, likes me.
        :p

Now if I only knew what each one would be best used for....
        :confused:

Time to google.

Also use some sprue for testing....see what I end up with...

Comment

• junglelord
          Banned
          • Jan 2009

Hey it can bog down at the lowest setting if you push too hard.
          I cut some spure (is that what you call that stuff?)
          It cuts great on the lowest and I could even turn it up slightly.
          I am so more confident....did I use the right attachment to cut with?
          I used a cutting wheel. It did not burn the material at all.
          Just cut it real clean. I never knew my brother had this, but I should have known.
          He is a mechanic, he has most tools, but no drill press, LOL>

I want to open up the vents to start, is that a good thing to begin with?
          What would I use for that with all those attachements?

Could someone point out which wheel is best for that from my pics above?
          Could someone give me best way to begin.

Where can I start before I get the DVD or fittings?
          I am ready Mr Merriman to begin. Should I start with the larger openings on the nicelles?
          Thanks so much to everyone...what a great forum and great guys.
          I am very lucky.
          Dean
          Last edited by junglelord; 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• junglelord
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

I may have a expensive snare drum sold.
            That would cover the cost of my first Conversion expense.
            Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

• junglelord
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

I have to give a lot of thanks, appreciation, and RESPECT for all the time and knowledge that Dave Merriman and the forum members have shared with me. I feel almost "bad" saying that I am going to approach the build via the natural seams and to for go bow planes on my first build.

Not because I feel I cannot accomplish it that way, as I have the tools and the confidence and all the help a guy could ever ask for....something I did not have last week. So thanks to Ray, Dave, my brother and those who helped me in many ways.

Sorry for being anal and I cannot express enough my thanks to everyone who has helped me to understand the kit and the different approach and the pros and cons to each approach.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

You're welcome.

Good luck with it.

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ConcreteTurtle
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jan 2009

Hi Junglelord,

Not sure if someone else has covered your question regarding what cutter to use to open the limber holes.

I bought a dremel 9904 1/8" tungsten carbide cutter to open up the holes in the fiberglass hull I'm working on, and it works great.

Run it at about 13k RPM, and watch out as the cutter pulls to the side while cutting. Then use some needle files to open up the hole to where you want it. On reflection it's probably a good idea to use diamond files with fiberglass, my steel ones are dulling pretty quickly.

My only experience is with a fibreglass hull, but at lower speeds on your rotary tool the same techniques should work for styrene.

Being so new myself, I don't have much advice to give, but it sure is nice to be able to offer some for a change ;)

Best of luck with it, your build looks good.

CT

Comment

• Nuke Power
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

the limber holes in the seaview are a bit different then an akula. The best way to get perfect lookin holes is to use a round carbide bit in the dremel and eat away the backing. Once the back is thin or gone you just use a rat file to clean it up. Its fast and super easy.

Comment

• junglelord
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

Thanks guys, I can get to work on the nicelle openings, vents and sail opening to keep me busy today.

With two Seaviews coming I can take the simple approach with the first one.
                      I will then make the second one full controls....cutting full the superstructure...ala Merriman.
                      Thats the way I will preceed. Then I can enjoy both boats for their own unique style, performance, etc.
                      I can also say thanks for all the help I have had and let those guys know that it was not a waste of time and that I am going that direction for the second sub. I just have to try one the other way as far as opening it up and forgoing bow planes. I am looking forward to those fixed vanes.
                      Last edited by junglelord; 02-22-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• junglelord
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rogue Sub
                        the limber holes in the seaview are a bit different then an akula. The best way to get perfect lookin holes is to use a round carbide bit in the dremel and eat away the backing. Once the back is thin or gone you just use a rat file to clean it up. Its fast and super easy.
                        Thanks. I just happened to have gotten one for free the other day that was being thrown out where my brother works.
                        Here are some of my bits...going for the new one on the front row on the right. Round carbide bit.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
                          Thanks guys, I can get to work on the nicelle openings, vents and sail opening to keep me busy today.

With two Seaviews coming I can take the simple approach with the first one.
                          I will then make the second one full controls....cutting full the superstructure...ala Merriman.
                          Thats the way I will preceed. Then I can enjoy both boats for their own unique style, performance, etc.
                          I can also say thanks for all the help I have had and let those guys know that it was not a waste of time and that I am going that direction for the second sub. I just have to try one the other way as far as opening it up and forgoing bow planes. I am looking forward to those fixed vanes.
                          Well, at least you'll enjoy one of 'em. Have fun.

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009

That remains to be seen Mr Merriman.
                            Both will have your kits.
                            Both will be fun.

But being new to this and after trying to soak up the physics and the art and the science of this hobby, I am at the crossroads of having to believe that there is more then one way to drive a boat. My Robbe SeaWolf is my example. I chose to include front dive planes. I believe that it was Mr Merriman who said I did not need front dive planes on that boat. Well Robbe set it up with fixed front planes and certainly no functional sail planes. So that would agree with Mr Merriman.

Yet others have told me that the sub is a better sub with functional bow planes on that boat.

Then the question of how to set up those bow planes in relation to the stern planes on the SeaWolf. That brought up tail configurations. This brought up the fact that an ADF is normally used....so in the end these boats are variable, not always easy to drive without assisted ADF dispite having all the control surfaces or even working from a minimal basis.

I do not dispute a single thing you have learned or taught me Mr Merriman and I know for a fact that your boat is the best running boat...that is not the question and it never was, so please understand that being a teacher is something your great at and that I never under estimate your experience.

Cheers
                            Dean

Comment

• junglelord
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

Ps the beauty of all this is I can CHANGE my mind when I get my Sub Driver. I have Ray sending me glass rods and shimsteel so don't count out this Canadian yet. Until then I am just opening up the things I know I need to, no matter what. I got time, its freezing up here and there is no sub going in the St Lawrence until May.
                              Cheers.

Comment

• junglelord
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2009

I got a dremel drill press unit for $25 I think. I like getting equipment so I can bug the I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear! out of David with questions of what to cut next...

But seriously I got myself some excellent cutting skills.
                                I have been practicing all day yesterday. I love my Brothers Moto-tool.
                                Those new bits were perfect. Should have my order in about two weeks with the NY shop. Hoping to have all that cash at one shot. Trying to sell an expensive snare drum.

I live about three hours from the shop.
                                Do you have a public store Mike?

Comment

Working...