• SteveJ
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2008

Nice Picture Dave. Would make a nice XMAS card!!:D:D

Comment

• SteveJ
      Lieutenant
      • Aug 2008

Here's some pictures of my Seaview build. This is my first sub model..be kind;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1261.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	56701 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1268.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	56702 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1265.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	56703 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1267.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	56704 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1285.jpg
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	56705

Comment

• junglelord
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

I have read that the vents can be done with a dremel from the inside for a small portion, then to take a file to the rest.
        I have no idea if thats correct. My dremel is not variable speed...will I need or use this in this build?
        Also I believe I need a dremel drill press unit< correct?

I am waiting for the DVD and Fittings kit to start.
        I can order that next week.

But tell me, how do you scribe and cut the superstructure and manta bow fins?
        Real nice work by the way!
        I am more confident....great work for a first time.
        Last edited by junglelord; 02-18-2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SteveJ
          Here's some pictures of my Seaview build. This is my first sub model..be kind;)

[ATTACH]481[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]482[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]483[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]484[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]485[/ATTACH]
          Looking good, Steve. Nothing to be ashamed of there. Tell the class how terrible/easy it was to separate the superstructure from the rest of the hull, please.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
            I have read that the vents can be done with a dremel from the inside for a small portion, then to take a file to the rest.
            I have no idea if thats correct. My dremel is not variable speed...will I need or use this in this build?
            Also I believe I need a dremel drill press unit< correct?

I am waiting for the DVD and Fittings kit to start.
            I can order that next week.

But tell me, how do you scribe and cut the superstructure and manta bow fins?
            Real nice work by the way!
            I am more confident....great work for a first time.
            You simply have to have a low-speed capable Moto-tool, Dean. No getting around it. You go into the work high speed and you'll instantly find a molten mass of plastic twisted around your wrist! And that tool, and the proper bit, is the only way to grind out the inside of the limber holes. The DVD will walk you through it.

You don't need a drill press for this model assembly (but one is always nice to have).

As you don't 'save' the bow planes (actually, just the tips of the manta-fins, identified with engraved lines), you simply grind them away with the Moto-Tool. The fittings kit contains a set of practical bow planes ... check out what Steve's done so far and you'll see what I mean.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

Hey thanks so much Dave. Since I live in Canada, a few years ago I got a Canadian Tire (national store) dremel copy, one speed. I guess thats fine for other things, but not for this, thats clear.

I will go get a Moto-tool. I appreciate what I need in the terms of tools.
              I have two kits with exacto knives.

I totally understand how the fitting kit components work based on several Merriman conversions I have seen on line. I knew I could not save them, if I was cutting them off. I can get the DVD and Fittings next week. That should keep me busy till the end of March when I can get the Sub Driver.
              I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• SteveJ
                Lieutenant
                • Aug 2008

Here are a few more pics
                Thanks for the compliment. Its been a slow build with work and kids..... The scribe lines for the bow planes are there already as are the lines for the vents. Daves DVD shows you step by step how to "open her up". I review it many times before I start a new section. If your still unsure of something ask, Dave and others are there to help. Just take your time and remeber.."measure twice cut once".

Stephen

Name:	DSCF1282.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	56706Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1281.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	56707Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1283.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	56708

Name:	DSCF1284.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	56709Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1286.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	56710

Last edited by SteveJ; 04-16-2009, 06:00 PM. Reason: Added album link

Comment

• SteveJ
                  Lieutenant
                  • Aug 2008

The superstructure was easier to do than I thought. DONT rush, it is a time consuming procedure. Im not saying mine came out perfect but I am happy with the results.

Stephen

Comment

• junglelord
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

So I googled Moto-tool and got a hand held variable speed Dremel.

Will a Mini-Mite work? What one do you recommend Dave?
                    Any favorites guys?

Thats so great of you to share photos of your build Steve. I am sorry guys for making all kinds of horror scenenarios in my head about the ability for me to do this. I feel a lot more confident. Thanks so much everyone.
                    I will make all of us proud.
                    I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• SteveJ
                      Lieutenant
                      • Aug 2008

I have a Dremel moto-tool 395 variable speed. Had it for a while and never really used it until I started the Seaview. I have the drill press for it but mostly used the flexible shaft when cutting.

Stephen

Comment

• junglelord
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009

Well I do have the flexible shaft already. Its the Dremel brand.
                        I see a 300 series plug in unit with a bench and attachements and a ion battery one bare bones. Both about $100.
                        My brother works at Canadian Tire, so I save 10% with his card.
                        :cool:

The review on the Mini Mite was that it worked best to not "melt" plastic.
                        However the RPMS are still beginning at 5000 maxing at 13,000.
                        Since I am on a pension, any and all advice is helpful.
                        Should I go for a Mini Mite or should I suck it up and get the more expensive 300 series? Only difference I can see is that the rpms go to 35,000.

Thanks.

Comment

• SteveJ
                          Lieutenant
                          • Aug 2008

Also if you haven't do so already, download and print the files below. They are great suppliments to the Seaview DVD especially for the Sub-Driver.

Stephen

Comment

• junglelord
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009

Thanks for that, I had not found those yet.
                            I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• junglelord
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

Ok I do not want to take over Rays thread with my Newbie questions on tools. Sorry to be so excited. I know a lot of this is answered on the DVD set, which I will have in two weeks. But here is what I have and where I am at right now. I have built one Robbe SeaWolf V2. It has made me confident to a certain level that I can become fairly competent at this hobby over time. I have always loved making models, however I just glued them together...nothing as far as "real" experience. Mr Merriman has given us a lot of good work via the Seaview Cabel. I am up to speed on what I need in terms of adheasive and Blue RTV.

My tool chest right now has a good digital mulitmeter and I am a retired Electronics Engineering Technologist with 5 years in Military and Commercial Sonar Systems and 5 years Satellite systems...so I have no trouble with soldering or electronics. I have a good soldering iron.

Here are my cutting tools. I have two X-acto knife kits, tiny drill bits for the Dremel, levels, right angles, files, and my brothers variable speed 10,000, 35,000 Moto-tool from Canadian Tire Job-Mate line. What if anything beyond a drill press would be required to make my SeaView?

Last edited by junglelord; 02-19-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• toppack
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Nov 2008

Wow, those are CLEAN tools! :D LOL :D

You will probably need some Tweezers (several tip types preferable),
                                needle-nose plyers (small and large), diagonal cutters (but may have those already since you've done soldering) and a bench-vice to hold small parts.
                                Those are some of the things I use the most, that I don't see in pics.
                                Last edited by toppack; 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM.
                                Rick L.
                                --------------------------------------------
                                * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                                Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

Working...