• Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
    Nice work shop Mr Merriman.
    I have to order the DVD series now!
    The Sub-Driver and extras after that.
    On a pension, one item at a time. Or until I sell the motorcycle....
    Putting my son through college too, other wise I would have bought two sub drivers already.

Watching the DVD series will give me good ideas. Kind of go through it in my head a few times.
    I can make that practice jig for the front bow planes.
    Get my cutting skills up to par. Make sure I have the hobby equipment I need to make this work.
    How about those fixed vanes...did Caswell get them? LOL>

I will stop talking now...
    Blah
    Sent three sets off to you last week.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
      Banned
      • Jan 2009

You did?
      WOW, your a sweetheart...er I mean tough business man.
      :p

I guess my address is part of my membership.
      I forget with my post concussion injury.

It is an honour to have your assistance, let alone your passion to share and to give. I will be glad to buy the two sub drivers to begin with and happy to see you the Mrs and Ellie properly compensated for your love and devotion.
      I'll drink to THAT!

Just gave my son $2000 for college on Friday.
      Thats taken care of and now I can focus on the subs.
      Now I can get those DVDS and get busy.

Comment

• junglelord
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

OH MAN IS IT SWEET OR WHAT?
        Can you tell I am excited?
        Now that I have one I know why I want more.
        Its an incredible model and I would highly recommend that everyone
        spend their dough and get one and go RC Conversion.
        Thanks Mr Merriman and Moebius and Caswell.

I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• Aug 2008

OH MAN IS IT SWEET OR WHAT?
          Can you tell I am excited?
          Now that I have one I know why I want more.
          Its an incredible model and I would highly recommend that everyone
          spend their dough and get one and go RC Conversion.
          Thanks Mr Merriman and Moebius and Caswell.

I'll drink to THAT!
          Hey, e-mail me your address -- I think it was someone else who asked for two sets of those vanes as well. Want to be sure you get yours.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

Here it is....and it snaps together with a perfect fit. This is going to be one nice RC Sub.

Comment

• junglelord
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

Comment

• mickelsen
                Lieutenant
                • Aug 2008

Hi David,
                Yesterday I got the fixed vanes that you sent me. Thanks!
                But I have to show my newbie-ness here and say that I don't understand where they go or how they are to be used.:confused: Could you please show us a picture or drawing of the vanes after they are installed? It would be much appreciated.:D
                Hope is a harsh mistress!
                Mark

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by mickelsen
                  Hi David,
                  Yesterday I got the fixed vanes that you sent me. Thanks!
                  But I have to show my newbie-ness here and say that I don't understand where they go or how they are to be used.:confused: Could you please show us a picture or drawing of the vanes after they are installed? It would be much appreciated.:D
                  I grabbed one of the two SEAVIEW's I've been working off the wall and set it up to show you how the fixed vanes fit. Self explanatory. Use RTV sealant type adhesive to secure them in place. By the way, the vanes are the last items to be glued in place.

When you dial in the stern plan-bow plane linkage: with the servo centered, adjust the push rods so that the bow planes are zeroed, and the stern planes reside at the same angular displacement as the fixed vanes. In this condition -- with the stern plane-bow plane stick centered -- there is an existing down-thrust at the propulsion nozzles to counter the pitch-down force created at the bow (owing to the unique geometry of the SEAVIEW's shape in that area), the net pitching force on the model in motion is near enough to zero as to be easily negatted with a bit of stick trim.

Like all the resin pieces of the fittings kit, you have to de-grease them by soaking in lacquer thinner and scrubbing with a greeni-pad (Scotch-pad), then wet sand with #400 and prim, then paint. Only then do you RTV the vanes in place.

Make it so!

David,
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-18-2009, 04:15 PM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• mickelsen
                    Lieutenant
                    • Aug 2008

Well...but...but...OF COURSE that's where they go!

Where else?!?!!

:oThanks:o
                    Hope is a harsh mistress!
                    Mark

Comment

• junglelord
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

When you dial in the stern plan-bow plane linkage: with the servo centered, adjust the push rods so that the bow planes are zeroed, and the stern planes reside at the same angular displacement as the fixed vanes. In this condition -- with the stern plane-bow plane stick centered -- there is an existing down-thrust at the propulsion nozzles to counter the pitch-down force created at the bow (owing to the unique geometry of the SEAVIEW's shape in that area), the net pitching force on the model in motion is near enough to zero as to be easily negatted with a bit of stick trim.
                      Ok, I have a question.
                      My inital question about not using bow planes.
                      What if anything would change in the relationship between
                      stern planes and the fixed vanes if there are no bow linkages.
                      Ie like the Debor build. Would the stern planes be at level on the tx with center setting?
                      vs being at the same pitch as the fixed vanes when one has bow planes?

I was looking at the Rick Teskey unit on SubCom that has no bow planes
                      and his new videos. Its a very solid run...or so it seems.

My idea is to try to pull the unit together via the center seam and split it in half front to back vs access from the top. Without front bow planes that is a possible alternative. I would still have access of the sail planes via some magnets and cutting of the access to the sail.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by mickelsen
                        Well...but...but...OF COURSE that's where they go!

Where else?!?!!

:oThanks:o
                        Don't ever serve me up a soft-ball like that again!!!!!

David,
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ok, I have a question.
                          My inital question about not using bow planes.
                          What if anything would change in the relationship between
                          stern planes and the fixed vanes if there are no bow linkages.
                          Ie like the Debor build. Would the stern planes be at level on the tx with center setting?
                          vs being at the same pitch as the fixed vanes when one has bow planes?

I was looking at the Rick Teskey unit on SubCom that has no bow planes
                          and his new videos. Its a very solid run...or so it seems.

My idea is to try to pull the unit together via the center seam and split it in half front to back vs access from the top. Without front bow planes that is a possible alternative. I would still have access of the sail planes via some magnets and cutting of the access to the sail.
                          You'll likely have to crank even more 'rise' into the stern planes without the bow planes. You're crippled without 'em. Why cripple yourself?

The radial split hull is a stupid idea. Don't do it.

Look: Do it my way or don't. I don't care much. Just don't take up my time working up fixes for you later because you thought 'the other guy' had the answers. That's all.

I don't mince words; I will tell you straight what is, and what is not. My world is black and white, no room for gray; I would rather hurt your precious feelings here than give you a reassuring pat on the rump with some bull-****, PC, words of encouragement. You want nice (and often, stupid!) advice, then dine out at the other boards. I hate emoticons -- they are stupid stand-ins for insecure writers, who are too timid to stand by the very words they pound out.

I'm a very jealous God. Deal with it.

... or don't.

This well of knowledge you guys have taped into is limitless. However, my time isn't.

Stop with the what-if's! Give me a thought out proposed course of action (assembly/design methodology) and I'll put it right for you. And once I do, stick with it, and if you don't, I won't have time to dig your sorry ass out of the hole you dug yourself into.

David,
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009

Yeah, your right. I will have to rise to the challenge.
                            If I decided to blow that kind of money on my pension, just shoot me in the head....
                            No more dumb questions over things you have already said are written in stone. I do know your time is valueable. I am done dipping from the well.
                            Time to order the DVD set.
                            Talk in a month.

Thats if I need help after the DVD set.
                            Ship the vanes, I am cutting the bow fins and scribbing the hull...
                            I am making two of yours so I will be somewhat "experienced" when its all done...preaching the gospel.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yeah, your right. I will have to rise to the challenge.
                              If I decided to blow that kind of money on my pension, just shoot me in the head....
                              No more dumb questions over things you have already said are written in stone. I do know your time is valueable. I am done dipping from the well.
                              Time to order the DVD set.
                              Talk in a month.

Thats if I need help after the DVD set.
                              Ship the vanes, I am cutting the bow fins and scribbing the hull...
                              I am making two of yours so I will be somewhat "experienced" when its all done...preaching the gospel.

Good man.

I missed today's mail -- I'll get your vanes off tomorrow.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2009

This American Canadian currency conversion is killer right now.
                                I hope that it swings somewhat more in my favor when I make the big order at the end of March. That gives me four weeks to study the DVD process and buy any tools I might be lacking.

Thanks Mr Merriman.

So far the test fit is perfect. Thats quite the kit. I cannot wait for the Conversion and Fittings.
                                I will take detailed pics and show that even a "newbie" like me can do it, because you have done all the hard work.
                                I all have to do is follow directions....I can do that.

Permission to order and study your DVD Sir!

Last edited by junglelord; 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...