Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCnut
    It all looks superb, Are you still sending me a blank end part just in case I want to put in a brushless motor? :)
    Yes, for the main cylinder -- they (I'm making two systems for you, one for me) will arrive with an installed 555 motor to drive the pump-jet and you'll have two blank motor-bulkheads that will permit installation of your own drive-motor.

What I'm showing in the last two posts are the work on the separate RateMaster WTC. Not to be confused with the main propulsion-control WTC.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2009

Good day all
      I was wondering if the rate master could be modified that a prop , helix, archimedes screw, could be fitted/ attached too the internal bore of the rate master and serve double duty for effect and propulsion thus using 1 drive ? This would be akin too the drum on a cement mixer , just a thought .
      Carry on
      Rick Teskey

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

That's a good idea. You'd need a pretty good bearing arrangement, but i think it's definitely doable.

I'd say perhaps post-swirl stators at the end would be advisable to counter any torque effect.

Comment

• RCnut
          Commander
          • Apr 2012

Interesting thoughts guys, How fast would the ratemaster have to turn to be an effective method of propulsion, How big would the intake be and where would you put it? Also how would you turn the ship. And Lastly, Would any of those methods intrude on the ""Look" of the ship? Just asking as I have had to make sure this model looks good out of the water as well as in.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Vectoring the thrust would be very tricky, especially if invisible linkages are called for.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Interesting thoughts guys, How fast would the ratemaster have to turn to be an effective method of propulsion, How big would the intake be and where would you put it? Also how would you turn the ship. And Lastly, Would any of those methods intrude on the ""Look" of the ship? Just asking as I have had to make sure this model looks good out of the water as well as in.
              If that 'internal Archimedean screw' idea was broached by anyone but Rick Teskey I would have dismissed it as fluff and nonsense. But, Rick is every inch the Mechanic in this game -- he does a great deal more than shovel out 'ideas' -- he makes them a practical reality. Anyone who can make the PROTEUS work under the water has my ear.

Thanks, Rick!!! ... now I can't get the rumbling sound and sight of a slowly churning cement mixer out of my mind.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

If that 'internal Archimedean screw' idea was broached by anyone but Rick Teskey I would have dismissed it as fluff and nonsense. But, Rick is every inch the Mechanic in this game -- he does a great deal more than shovel out 'ideas' -- he makes them a practical reality. Anyone who can make the PROTEUS work under the water has my ear.

Thanks, Rick!!! ... now I can't get the rumbling sound and sight of a slowly churning cement mixer out of my mind.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Thats funny! I work with Cement mixing trucks(Oshkosh) everyday. You know what happens when you cant get the cement out of one right?
                  IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• RCnut
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by greenman407
                    Thats funny! I work with Cement mixing trucks(Oshkosh) everyday. You know what happens when you cant get the cement out of one right?
                    No!!!! What? :)

Comment

• RCnut
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2012

Guys I'm not dismissing any ideas out of hand. But when I build a model of a craft and want to make it "work" Like it did on screen, I try not to spoil the look by adding or taking away anything. I had a cutaway pic that was done years ago (TV21) of the stingray and it clearly showed an impeller inside the ratemaster, So thats kindof the way I went. Interestingly I'd like to make a Bladerunner Spinner that works, but untill Colibri make a tubine smaller than the one they already do, with enough thrust and cheap enough for me to buy 4 of them, it will remain a dream.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by rcnut
                        no!!!! What? :)
                        duh dude.....
                        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• RCnut
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by greenman407
                          duh dude.....
                          Lol, I must be thick then, Sometimes things escape me, :)

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2009

Sorry guys, our Mayor was smoking crack and I think I was down wind of him, but I was in a drunken stupour at the time ! ( Toronto mayor Rob Ford)
                            The vertical tail fins should turn it and swing the arse around .
                            Testing would have too be done too determin speed and number of internal helixes too attach too the bore and size ( developed blade area?) Consider a 4 start thread with the helix set 90 degrees apart. I wonder if the external shape of the rate master would have a "paddel wheel "effect ?
                            Or put a 7 blade ringed prop attached too the rate master in the bore would be easier than the helix again testing would prove or disprove this idea, nothing is cemented yet.
                            Forward is possible with the pump jets as you plan , but what about reverse?
                            Water intake could be at the sides where thoes scaloped areas are and on the underside just ahead of the rate master there is that bulbous area a few screened holes could be added.
                            Another thought that departs from the helix idea is 2 pump jets , one in each of thoes scaloped depressions and steer it differentally
                            Rick
                            Last edited by Rick Teskey; 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM. Reason: additional thought

Comment

• RCnut
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
                              Sorry guys, our Mayor was smoking crack and I think I was down wind of him, but I was in a drunken stupour at the time ! ( Toronto mayor Rob Ford)
                              The vertical tail fins should turn it and swing the arse around .
                              Testing would have too be done too determin speed and number of internal helixes too attach too the bore and size ( developed blade area?) Consider a 4 start thread with the helix set 90 degrees apart. I wonder if the external shape of the rate master would have a "paddel wheel "effect ?
                              Or put a 7 blade ringed prop attached too the rate master in the bore would be easier than the helix again testing would prove or disprove this idea, nothing is cemented yet.
                              Forward is possible with the pump jets as you plan , but what about reverse?
                              Water intake could be at the sides where thoes scaloped areas are and on the underside just ahead of the rate master there is that bulbous area a few screened holes could be added.
                              Another thought that departs from the helix idea is 2 pump jets , one in each of thoes scaloped depressions and steer it differentally
                              Rick
                              Rick, Your expertise in this field far exceeds mine. :) The twin jet idea was one I had a few years back as well. It was on the then available 3 foot kit (Choco), I installed 2 Kehrer jets and did the differential thing, tried it once in the water and for some reason never did again, It didnt go to well. Anyway gave the kit to a buddy of mine and he still has it. Yep Jets are a bit limited in terms of reverse unless you install a bucket and that just looks pants on anything other than a proper boat. Onward and upward.

Comment

• RCnut
                                Commander
                                • Apr 2012

Any Updates on Subdriver Progress? :)

Comment

Working...