• Jan 2020

25% is adequate

Comment

• billyd
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by biggsgolf
      25% is adequate
      Ok, Is there any advantage to go further? I can do 30 degrees in both directions pretty easily.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by billyd

Ok, Is there any advantage to go further? I can do 30 degrees in both directions pretty easily.
        They'll stall over 30-degrees. But if you can swing that angle, go for it.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• billyd
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Feb 2024

Click image for larger version  Name:	dive_plane_571.jpg Views:	4 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	179218

Ok I wanted to add a quick update. I have been printing all of the detail (resin printing ugh) parts so been busy with that, and trying not to die of toxic poisoning in the process. What a pain resin printing is, I can't believe people like it but I digress. I wanted to show my preliminary design for functioning forward dive planes. Attached is a picture of the cad design. The idea is to place a waterproof servo with a gear between the dive planes in the upper part of the hull there, and have another gear driven by that, so the gears rotate opposite each other. This will deploy and stow the planes. To drive them, a linkage from the wtc to the planes, in the lower hull. The drive axles will have linkage attached to them, and then a hole will be made for them to pass through and attach to the wtc linkage. I have them drawn upwards right now, with no holes for them, but that is coming, they will ultimately point down through slotted holes. Ps I modified the original design so the dive planes will have stainless steel pins at the drive axle attachment, as well as the top where the stow axles are. I am using tied rod ends from a rc vehicle (Amazon purchase) and the stow axles will be 1.6mm threaded rod.
          Last edited by billyd; 04-03-2024, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• billyd
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Feb 2024

Mostly finished the functional diveplanes. Have a few more details to iron out but I've got enough to print and test it. Waiting on parts.

Ps a big thanks to the original designer (of the SSN-571 3d printed model) for giving me the hull section #2 step file. I will share the design with him when complete and he will incorporate it into his model.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hull_2_571_functional_diveplanes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	179736 Click image for larger version  Name:	hull_2_571_functional_diveplanes2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	179737
            Last edited by billyd; 04-30-2024, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• billyd
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Feb 2024

Here is the stowed position. I also made some more changes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hull_2_571_functional_diveplanes3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	179739

Comment

• billyd
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Feb 2024

Building second prototype now. Design should be finalized. First one worked ok but hard to assemble. Made many improvements to strength as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hull_2_571_functional_dive_planes_deployed_rev2-3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	179917 Click image for larger version

Name:	hull_2_571_functional_dive_planes_stowed_rev2-2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	179918

Comment

• Aug 2008

Complexity Warship on display... Rube Goldberg would be so proud.

Pull yourself away from that damned computer and march your butt back into the shop and get some real work done.

KISS!

David
                  Who actually Builds stuff!
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; Yesterday, 06:30 AM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• billyd
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Feb 2024

The bow planes on the 571 are not co-planar, in multiple axes. I wish I had it so easy. Prototype will be done soon.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by billyd
                      The bow planes on the 571 are not co-planar, in multiple axes. I wish I had it so easy. Prototype will be done soon.
                      Two discrete hinge points. Same deal.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...