Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

On 9 volts they are medium bright. Im thinking of possibly running them off of the 3s Lipo in the Subdriver.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Some more work on the new Albacore sail. Red spot putty and drilling and fileing the slots for the rectangular LEDs. Also the sail rudder. Drilling holes to allow for good CA flow into the rudder shaft area so that it wont come loose down the road.Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	97411Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	97412Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	97413Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	97414

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Also, due to these pictures I wont be painting those nicely formed doors on the sail light grey as these pictures of the phase 4 Albacore show them the same color as the rest of the hull.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	albacore2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	97415Click image for larger version

Name:	Albacore Zoom.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	97416

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Mark, that trick of drilling the access holes for the CA, just made my day. I always had problems trying to get glue down the hole where you put the shaft without making a mess of things. That idea will work in several different applications, as well as repairs to hard to get at places. Much easier to cut a hole, fix the problem, and simply patch the hole. More than once, I have had to take thr model completely apart to fix some piddley thingamabob, that's criticle to the operation.

Comment

• KevinMc
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

As an alternative to using CA to secure the control surface shafts have you considered tapping the holes and dropping in some SS set screws? I did this on my OSCAR and have never had any issues. The big advantage in my mind though is if I ever had to remove the shaft it should be an easy thing to do. YMMV
            Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
            KMc Designs

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Yeah! ... what Kevin just said:

Name:	073.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	97419 Click image for larger version

Name:	012 (2).jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	97420 Click image for larger version

Name:	051.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	97421 You see the set-screw Kevin described placed on the bottom faces of the two stern planes here. The set-screws just as easily could have been put at the leading edge of the control surfaces where they would be better hidden. The stern plane operating shaft has a flat to engage the point of the set-screw preventing rotation of the operating shaft within its control surface once set. But, as Kevin pointed, out, this arrangement permits easy revoval and/or adjustment in the future. The CA trick is a one-trick-pony i.e, you want to change it ... break out the hammer and torch!

Name:	003_ygp7313.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	97422 As you can turn the dorsel rudder well past its normal deflection, there's no problem working and hiding a set-screw at the leading edge.

But, in your case, that horse is out of the barn. Sorry, pal.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

In my case, some of the stuff I have was put together before screws were invented. I like the set screw idea in my type IX fittings kit. That's the new poney in the barn, that the old horse left. I'm wearing the old horses hide as a jacket.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KevinMc
                  As an alternative to using CA to secure the control surface shafts have you considered tapping the holes and dropping in some SS set screws? I did this on my OSCAR and have never had any issues. The big advantage in my mind though is if I ever had to remove the shaft it should be an easy thing to do. YMMV
                  Kevin, you have made that suggestion to me before, on the occasion of you sending me parts for my Oscar. I tried it and it worked well. Thanks for keeping tabs on me. CHEERS

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    Yeah! ... what Kevin just said:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30092[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30093[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30094[/ATTACH] You see the set-screw Kevin described placed on the bottom faces of the two stern planes here. The set-screws just as easily could have been put at the leading edge of the control surfaces where they would be better hidden. The stern plane operating shaft has a flat to engage the point of the set-screw preventing rotation of the operating shaft within its control surface once set. But, as Kevin pointed, out, this arrangement permits easy revoval and/or adjustment in the future. The CA trick is a one-trick-pony i.e, you want to change it ... break out the hammer and torch!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30095[/ATTACH] As you can turn the dorsel rudder well past its normal deflection, there's no problem working and hiding a set-screw at the leading edge.

But, in your case, that horse is out of the barn. Sorry, pal.

M
                    Not really. I havent glued it yet

Comment

• KevinMc
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
                      Kevin, you have made that suggestion to me before, on the occasion of you sending me parts for my Oscar. I tried it and it worked well. Thanks for keeping tabs on me. CHEERS
                      Ha! In this case your memory is better than mine - I'd forgotten I made the suggestion before! Either way, I couldn't have you think I'm not paying attention. ;)
                      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                      KMc Designs

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Today was an Albacore day. I finally finished the prep work on the new sail and got some time in Airbrushing it and the rudder. By the way, I did use set screws to hold the rudder shaft in place and then covered them up with Evercoat. I am now working on the linkage setup for that rudder. Also I need to tape off the deadlight and paint it as well.
                        Also looking over how and where to cut the old cylinder for insertion of 3&1/2" dia. tube and related drive components.

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	97632Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	97633Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	97634Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	97635Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	97637Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	97639

Comment

• Aug 2008

Name:	DSCF4032.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	97647 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4096.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	97648 Note how I ran the two pushrods for the bow planes and dorsal heeling 'rudder'.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

thatll come in handy

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Dave, If youll notice in the pics, the phase IV Albacore appears to have the old style deck hatch in the rear but the recessed model in the front. Do you agree? If so, where can I get a recessed type. I guess I could scribe something in.
                              Also note the zoomed in picture. Is that the stern light there on the back of the superstructure or turtleback or whatever you call it instead of being on one of the rudder fins?

Name:	Albacore Zoom.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	97663Click image for larger version

Name:	albacore2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	97664Click image for larger version

Name:	albacore stern light.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	97665

Comment

• Aug 2008

Both deck hatches sat flush with the deck during phase-1. The forward hatch was recessed into the superstructure during phase-2 yard period. The after hatch always remained flush with the deck.

The anchor and stern lights are on the two above water stern control surfaces. I think you're looking at the aft capstain in this shot, Mark.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...