Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beeryboats
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

It looks good to me. It's straight for one thing. One of the stainless shafts is bent. My fault. And the shaft is so well supported that it should work just fine. I see no drawbacks at all and I've heard it's been done before with good results.

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

I've got a Gato and a type VII Both with brass main shafts. They are very pretty and very straight. Me loves them.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
        I've got a Gato and a type VII Both with brass main shafts. They are very pretty and very straight. Me loves them.
        That doesn't mean its right!
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• beeryboats
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jun 2011

David, I may have asked this before but I don't recall if I got a response. What is the filler you were using along the hull to deck joint? I'm off to the hobby shop this morning, eventually. I'm sure it's some super high tech stuff! I love the plastic weld you show in the video. Neat stuff! I may have to get back into plastic models again.
          Jay

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by beeryboats
            David, I may have asked this before but I don't recall if I got a response. What is the filler you were using along the hull to deck joint? I'm off to the hobby shop this morning, eventually. I'm sure it's some super high tech stuff! I love the plastic weld you show in the video. Neat stuff! I may have to get back into plastic models again.
            Jay
            Jay,

Evercoat filler.

Caswell has the entire line. Go with the Metal Glaze or the Rage.

The trick is -- after you apply the filler, it has hardened, and you worked it with file and sandpaper to the correct shape -- to coat the hard, but rather porous material with thin CA adhesive. The Cyanoacrylate will wick into the hardened filler, making it hard as a rock, and at the same time the CA adhesive will bridge the union between filler and substrate, greatly enhancing the bond between the two. The CA coating on and within the otherwise porous filler prevents later chipping at the high-stress break point between hull halves.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jun 2011

I don't want to sound like a kiss ass on every post, but using the blue tape as a build up edge and filling with Soda and CA works fantastic. I had some pretty grim gaps from the saw and they completely disappeared. I wish I could do the rest of the hull this way. I'm completely at a halt until I get some Rage filler.

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

If it works then it's not wrong. I'm talking about brass main shafts brother Kazzer.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by beeryboats
                  I don't want to sound like a kiss ass on every post, but using the blue tape as a build up edge and filling with Soda and CA works fantastic. I had some pretty grim gaps from the saw and they completely disappeared. I wish I could do the rest of the hull this way. I'm completely at a halt until I get some Rage filler.
                  Kiss-ass!

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jun 2011

Just giving credit where credit is due. Using a pin or small screw driver works wonders for keeping CA in right place as well. Neat trick. I was cleaning out the garage today and tossing some stuff in the pole barn and noticed the U-boat on the bench. Looks like my next project will be a complete re-fit of the type IX.

Jay

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ha! Thank you sir. To be serious for a moment:

I believe in attribution when something is put forward that has not-before-realized utility to the group. Most of the neat ideas I'm spouting here are simply carry-over techniques, tools, and documentation that has been kindly offered to me by my peers and those Craftsmen who came before me. In the past twenty or so years I've studied the work of Ben Guenther, Joe Koenig, Tom Scherman, Dan Kachur, Ron Perrott, Norbert Bruggen, Rick Palumbo, Rick Teskey, and Dennis DeBoer. Not an inclusive list, but a fair representation of those who taught me important aspects of it

NEVER call this thing that we do, Art. Today the word art has been reduced to a meaningless term used, all too often, by no-talent asses who present their work as crude, sometimes startling imagery -- they possess neither the ability to produce, or capacity to understand careful, precise, meaningful physical imagery in the medium of choice. Many of today's so-called artist are frauds who have convinced other frauds (critics) that, for example, his painting of the Madonna smeared with elephant ****; a black and white print of a whip sticking out of someone's butt; or a pickle-jar containing a crucifix and the authors urine, is Art.

I am not an artist. I am a Craftsman!

And ... THERE ARE NO SECRETS! However, there are idiots who THINK there are secrets.

Before Detroit degenerated into a festering dump -- filled with weak, apologizing, guilt ridden politician's, and a black leadership that has seen to it that the place turned into a welfare check-cashing agency -- I spent some of my youthful years there watched and picking up techniques from local Pattern and Foundry shops; Joined the YMCA model building club; got together with other free-flight model airplane builders. And I learned how to use my hands from my Dad, an amateur engineer of the first-order. My Mom was an amateur Jeweler and I learned metal forming from her and her books. I learned the importance of methodology from fellow Ann Arbor Airfoiler's member, Ned Smith, a hard-charging student attending the University of Michigan School of Engineering. And, while still a kid, I learned the virtues of r/c from our neighbor up the street (reed systems were the state-of-the-art at the time).

As a young man I learned (as Torpedoman, Launcher Tech, and Diver) heavy-duty pneumatics, hydraulics, and mechanics. While Serving I spent a lot of my off-hours on base haunting the repair facilities there -- somehow managing to get myself tossed out of almost every foundry, pattern, and rubber shop I walked into (I didn't play well with the other Sailor's) or in town hanging around other professional Model Builders, Machinist's, and related Tradesmen: I learned a lot in Norfolk and Groton, not a damned thing in Guam and Key West. I read the modeling magazines and tried to became professant with every tool and technique I saw or read about. Wherever I was stationed I found and joined the local model club. While my shipmates were boozing it up and chasing skirt in town or at the club, I was deep within the hull somewhere or in my work center, honing my model building skills.

I was not self-taught this Craft -- I studied the good works of others. However, I was self-directed; I knew from age six what I was going to do with my life. And like a greedy Pup I suckled on every tit within range. I learned. I'm still learning.

In the days when the Trades were worthwhile organizations, Guild members of Journeyman and Master status were tradition bound to pass on everything they new to their peers and understudies -- that tradition has been lost; expunged in fact: lost just about the time that the Unions became associated with organized crime and put members 'rights' above the Craft they practiced. Guilds and Unions that initially fostered and advanced a trade have, today, mutated into thuggish, corrupt thiefdoms engaged in the practice of political influence buying and securing outlandish member salaries from the very employers who give these people a livelihood; Union official's who are more comfortable attending lavish 'Union organization events' in Miami than practicing the actual Trade they pretend to support.

Today I am a Master of the Craft of Model Building.

But only because of the kindness and tutelage of others. I am in debt to many people. People who have shared with me and others their skills and insights relating to the Craft. In that sense, at least, the Guild remains viable.

So, Jay ... thanks. But, I remind you and those reading this: I stand on the shoulders of my peers and those who came before me.

Pass it on, and credit those who taught you.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

David,
                        I appreciate your comments David, and I am beginning to climb your back that I may someday stand on your shoulders. I agree about the common use of the term artist, just because a monkey can splatter paint on a canvas does not qualify that as art. That being typed I must say you are a craftsman and an artist. That IS my opinion and it stands as such. Using jewelry terms, I knew craftsman that were outstanding at casting, but could not fabricate worth squat. I have also known craftsman that could cast, fabricate, design and bring an idea to completion all expertly done. You are the later. You are an artist because you have taken many ideas, skill sets, and can create a work of art.
                        Mutual kiss-butt society is now closed. Back to building.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• beeryboats
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jun 2011

Here! here! Pass on the knowledge. I stopped building with plastics as a kid almost 30 years ago after winning a few contests. Now my work would look like poop. I have a friend and fellow Rc flyer that I consider a master with plastics. He will sand down every raised panel line on an aircraft and re-scribe it into the the plastic to make it right.

I've been idled waiting for filler to continue the build so I've been watching the DVD's. And you're right, it does look better without the weld lines. I was happy to see I was not the only one to have issues with everything lining up just right. I really need to slow down and take a closer look at the details. I'm pushing the 50 year mark and even though the eye doc says I don't need reading glasses, I thought the maganafier visor thingy might do me some good. So I bought a good one and what a difference it makes!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yeah, the goggles make a world of difference -- Hey, we're all getting old, guys.

David,
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ADDINGTON
                              Lieutenant
                              • Sep 2008

Really wise words here. Words to model by.
                              Trout, berryboats and others following this thread-do yourself a huge favor, and Mine the Learning Curve.
                              We all experience delerium at times caused by the sheer joy of model building-we all at some time think we have a brilliant 'different' way to accomplish certain tasks, but again:
                              Do yourself a favor-try David's way first. It's been thru extensive R & D, the product of him and all who came before-tried,tested and true.
                              As David once cautioned me at a SubRegatta:
                              "There may be hundred ways to skin a cat, but there's only one Right Way."
                              -Kerry

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Kerry,
                                I am certainly guilty of that! Thank you.
                                Peace,
                                Tom
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...