Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Davjacva
    Beautiful model, awesome work; however the paint scheme is not correct. The photo in the floating drydock in Pearl Harbor is misleading as it's from the front, and doesn't show the side of the boat. The sonar dome all the way around is black, and it's covered in rubber. behind this topside is F-150-series (topcoat black), which goes down to within a foot of the anticipated waterline. The sail is supposed to be another lighter color of black, also a F-150-series, but as I recall it was lighter (I think it was boot black), but navy supply system/ submarine deck crews as they are most time you saw them painted topcoat black. What you don't often see, and is really apparent when a sub gets freshly painted until it hits the water is that there's anti-fouling black(this is bluish-black much in contrast to topcoat black) from about a foot above the anticipated waterline down to where the anti-fouling red starts, basically the lower half of the submarine from the stern planes/ tube forward to the back edge of the sonar dome. After a while in the water, the anti-fouling black just looks like a fouled portion of the topside black, vice a fouled version of anti-fouling red, so it's really what look that you're going after. I saw Tucson when it was still being built inside the MOF in new construction when I went to the commissioning ceremony of the Charlotte. Saw it on the patio when they wheeled it out, on Pier 6 behind us when it was being outfitted, gave a brief to the Weapons Officer of Security measures he'll receive or need to anticipate going through the Panama Canal when they switched coasts, and did an inspection on her when she was in Pearl a couple of years later. Tuscon, Greenville, and Cheyenne also received their dihedrals 'before' they were commissioned during new construction vice all the previous hulls that got them during Post Shipyard Availability (PSA) or after. It was the second Flight-6, 688-I boat having MOD-25 propulsion improvement. It also was a victim of Greenpeace when they snuck into the shipyard, and started using hammers on the VLS hatch seats before some workers questioned who they were. No serious damage was done, except to security. Toledo was the boat before it and around the same time it also was a Greenpeace victim when they came into the shipyard via a boat. I think they only spread paint that time. We were across the pier and got spared. Probably because we had full security at the time. Sunday morning, not enough coffee.
    Holy ****, Jake... did you leave anything out?

(this dude is a high-level Sand-Crab at the yard here and former Torpedoman/Army air-born -- so also a certified multi-hat, nut-case... oh, and one hell of a modeler as well)

Leave a comment:

• Davjacva
    replied
    Beautiful model, awesome work; however the paint scheme is not correct. The photo in the floating drydock in Pearl Harbor is misleading as it's from the front, and doesn't show the side of the boat. The sonar dome all the way around is black, and it's covered in rubber. behind this topside is F-150-series (topcoat black), which goes down to within a foot of the anticipated waterline. The sail is supposed to be another lighter color of black, also a F-150-series, but as I recall it was lighter (I think it was boot black), but navy supply system/ submarine deck crews as they are most time you saw them painted topcoat black. What you don't often see, and is really apparent when a sub gets freshly painted until it hits the water is that there's anti-fouling black(this is bluish-black much in contrast to topcoat black) from about a foot above the anticipated waterline down to where the anti-fouling red starts, basically the lower half of the submarine from the stern planes/ tube forward to the back edge of the sonar dome. After a while in the water, the anti-fouling black just looks like a fouled portion of the topside black, vice a fouled version of anti-fouling red, so it's really what look that you're going after. I saw Tucson when it was still being built inside the MOF in new construction when I went to the commissioning ceremony of the Charlotte. Saw it on the patio when they wheeled it out, on Pier 6 behind us when it was being outfitted, gave a brief to the Weapons Officer of Security measures he'll receive or need to anticipate going through the Panama Canal when they switched coasts, and did an inspection on her when she was in Pearl a couple of years later. Tuscon, Greenville, and Cheyenne also received their dihedrals 'before' they were commissioned during new construction vice all the previous hulls that got them during Post Shipyard Availability (PSA) or after. It was the second Flight-6, 688-I boat having MOD-25 propulsion improvement. It also was a victim of Greenpeace when they snuck into the shipyard, and started using hammers on the VLS hatch seats before some workers questioned who they were. No serious damage was done, except to security. Toledo was the boat before it and around the same time it also was a Greenpeace victim when they came into the shipyard via a boat. I think they only spread paint that time. We were across the pier and got spared. Probably because we had full security at the time. Sunday morning, not enough coffee.

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    My Tucson model is now for sale. Look for under SCRAP YARD elsewhere on this site.

Will Rogers
    SSBN 659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Funny thing happened while trying work out paint problems. I found this on the web and so I changed my plan on the paint scheme. The model is now finished, just waiting the nameplate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tucson Paint Black.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	179995

Name:	IMG_0636 copy.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	179992 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635 copy.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	179993 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633 copy.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	179994 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643 copy.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	179996

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied

Still not having good luck with red acrylic on lower hill. What is your experience with airbrushing acrylic over rattle can grey primer?

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Oops, forgot this shot.

Name:	IMG_0379 copy.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	178351

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    The sub base is almost ready, just need to add some felt or other material as suggested previously. Weather here has been warm enough to airbrush so after playing with different ideas of color I did both underside and topside. Still have some touchup where blue masking tape had too much tack (even after de-tacking on my shirt) but I'm pleased with the look. Next will come antennas, snorkel, retractable cleats and capstan. At some point I will need an acrylic display case and appropriate nameplate.

Name:	IMG_0372 copy.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	178346

Name:	IMG_0380 copy.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	178347

Name:	IMG_0381 copy.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	178348

Name:	IMG_0383 copy.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	178349

By the time Tucson is finished it will have in progress about two years.

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Great tip about using felt on the saddles, thanks. Just trying to make it look like I know what I'm doing so I appreciate all comments.

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SSBN659
    Submarine Base.

Name:	Submarine Base.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	178073

Name:	Cradle Magnets.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	178074

Rare Earth magnets in cradle for securing Tucson - mooring lines not required.

Will Rogers
    SSBN659
    Very nice looking stand for that Tucson!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Leave a comment:

• wlambing
    replied
    Don't forget to put some felt or flocking in those saddles, the wood end-grain will tear your paint to shreds!

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Submarine Base.

Name:	Submarine Base.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	178073

Name:	Cradle Magnets.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	178074

Rare Earth magnets in cradle for securing Tucson - mooring lines not required.

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Tucson is still a work in progress. While waiting for warmer weather for a final coat of paint I decided to work on the display base. My original plan was to build it the same way I did my Will Rogers model several years ago.

Name:	IMG_0312 copy.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	177904

When I found out the price of acrylic rod and walnut I changed my mind and will go with wood I have laying around.

Name:	IMG_0316 copy.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	177905

Name:	IMG_0317 copy.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	177906

I'll use molding on the perimeter of the base and finish it off with a dark wood stain. Stay tuned.

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied

Temperature in the garage this morning is 48F, been low for weeks and too cold to airbrush. Worked on masts for awhile but not much else. Once it warms up I'll repaint the hull and install masts, retractable cleats and other details.

Name:	IMG_0300 SCOPES COPY.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	177539

Name:	IMG_0296 copy.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	177538

Name:	IMG_0282 copy.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	177537

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to a weekend of football playoffs.

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Not much work going on due holiday and travel but this prop is finished.

Name:	IMG_0159 copy.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	176811
    Happy holidays!

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

• SSBN659
    replied
    Could have saved a lot of time if I had seen this earlier.

Simple math and the correct multiplier number (provided in this video) are what you need to easily divide a circle into equal sections. Here's the link to a ...

Oh well, lesson learned the hard way, now back to work.

Will Rogers
    SSBN659

Leave a comment:

Working...