Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

Got a few sections of the hull bottom put together. The carbon fiber tubes are going to work well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220709_220209.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	162791

Comment

• Sinksalot
      Commander
      • Mar 2020

Nice idea to strengthen the hull. nice work Steve.

Comment

• SubSteve
        Lieutenant
        • Apr 2022

I would be skeptical of a project this size if I had not seen your Permit in-person. Easily one of the cleanest, best engineered RC subs I've ever seen. Looking forward to this build!

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubSteve
          I would be skeptical of a project this size if I had not seen your Permit in-person. Easily one of the cleanest, best engineered RC subs I've ever seen. Looking forward to this build!
          Hey Steve, part of this for me is an experiment in pushing limits which I enjoy doing. This is the biggest sub I have printed so far so I am looking to see just how strong I can make the hull at this scale. Thank you for the compliments on my Thresher. It is a personal favorite of mine.

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Steve,
            You going to have it ready for Georgia?
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
              Steve,
              You going to have it ready for Georgia?
              Hey Casey, I have so much going on that I will be just trying to get it painted by then. The Oberon I have been working on is now done so my next order of business is to get Vaughn his Typhoon and I still have a few things I have to do to prepare for Subfest.

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

Just to put things into perspective. Started June 4th. The build surface is an interior hollow core door. About half of this is actually tweaked and glued together (from the bow to the sanding marks). The bow is just taped on as it will be glued to the upper hull. There are two more stern parts to print for the lower hull. The propulsor shroud will need a minor mod to make it removable. Dang I need another Ender 5+.

Name:	20220710_234330.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	162812

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubDude
                  Just to put things into perspective. Started June 4th. The build surface is an interior hollow core door. About half of this is actually tweaked and glued together (from the bow to the sanding marks). The bow is just taped on as it will be glued to the upper hull. There are two more stern parts to print for the lower hull. The propulsor shroud will need a minor mod to make it removable. Dang I need another Ender 5+.

Name:	20220710_234330.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	162812
                  Steve,

Your "Jimmy Carter" is really going to be spectacular! It's presents in the water will really be something to see! What you are doing with 3D printing is to be admired, and you have certainly taken the process to new heights for sure! Nobody in this hobby admires and respects the masters more than I do, those that built subs using skills and talents that brought this hobby to what it is today! It's my opinion that 3D printing will be the new wave of the future for this hobby, and it will only get better with new tech-knowledge and materials to work with.

Steve! You are at forefront of this new tech-knowledge, keep up the great work you are doing!! :-))

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Albacore 569
                    Commander
                    • Sep 2020

1200 hour printing divided by 24 hours in a day = 50 days.

Steven

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Albacore 569
                      1200 hour printing divided by 24 hours in a day = 50 days.

Steven
                      Yup. The 1/6th Seehund I printed for Mike Martin was over 1750 hrs or 73 days straight. Took over 3 months to print from start to finish.

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

The hull bottom is almost completely glued together and it is shaping up nicely. I will bolt the stern to the hull using threaded inserts allowing it to be removable. I had to make a slight change to the forward propulsor ring to extend the flange in order to allow for small screws to secure the aft shroud. I also designed a new shroud as the Jimmy Carter's is longer than the regular Seawolf. As a result I also designed a new impeller very similar to my Columbia to fit it. All together it nets out at 113" as expected which will just fit in the middle of my trailer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220719_233116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	163044
                        The CF tubes installed to strengthen the hull. I will do the same with the top.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220719_233128.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	163045
                        Close up of the same where the extension is located with my custom tube anchors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220719_233135.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	163046
                        The stock holes in the flanges helped to position and align everything as straight as possible. Its almost time to make a cradle for it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220719_233150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	163047
                        Last edited by SubDude; 07-20-2022, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• Sinksalot
                          Commander
                          • Mar 2020

Steve I really love the internal support rods. I will most likely do something like that on my next sub. But 113 inches good lord that is long.

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Sinksalot
                            Steve I really love the internal support rods. I will most likely do something like that on my next sub. But 113 inches good lord that is long.
                            Yeah, it's big. Probably about as big as I can take one depending on the files. I will have to come up with something to launch it at the lake but I have an idea.

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SubDude

Yeah, it's big. Probably about as big as I can take one depending on the files. I will have to come up with something to launch it at the lake but I have an idea.
                              I’ll give you a hand. Lol!
                              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2019

Sail and bow planes are printed and fit nicely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220731_214344.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	163291

Stern planes and rudder are printed as well. One thing to note. The stern planes as designed were about 3" long each. Not much surface area for a 113" long boat. I have the Trumpeter 1/144 plastic model of the Seawolf and based on it the stern planes were full span so with a slight modification using a coping saw and a redesign of the planes in Fusion 360 it will be easy to change and add about 1-1/2" to the length of each plane.

Port side has been modified. Starboard has not for comparison.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220731_211620.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	163290

The propulsor shroud mounting flange is bolted on with M4 screws and threaded brass inserts as well as the whole tail piece to make it easier to connect linkages and such.

I make all my boats with removable sections where needed to ease servicing because eventually it will need to be done.
                                Last edited by SubDude; 07-31-2022, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...