X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Nick,

Getting the CG exactly under the tower would be ideal, but 28mm aft is not bad with your layout, those pistons will give you some more play with the volume.

Type VII boats look fantastic when you drive them, but the shape of the hull is a bit cramped, you are encountering this with building your torpedo nest, as for the balance, try to get some foam in under the waterline and beneath the lower tubes, the less weight you have to add at the stern.
    The type VII i have is a dryhull, a complete different story, non the less everything is build to have as less weight as possible in every aspect.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Manfred,

Yes the type VII hull space fills up fast as you point out and that I am currently finding. It is my favorite boat design of the war for a lot of reasons. Thank you for your helpful advice and I will apply what you have suggested when it comes time to trim this build. As for the CG of the central ballast tank, I completely agree with you. I’d like it to be more centered. It will be interesting to see how this boat responds the way I have it designed currently. There is still some room to make adjustments.

Got a few more parts for the port side tubes machined and put together today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C33E862E-5C5B-4999-A872-2A95A0F07DAF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	157673

Nick
      Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 01-06-2022, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Hey Rube Goldberg, here hold my beer…

Click image for larger version

Name:	6C2D338D-466C-4129-B79F-47B6E16F3F5A.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	157768

Name:	02BD62D6-3A72-4255-BF0C-4F1EC3DAFEE4.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	157771

Name:	E80086B7-50AD-4696-8B8B-94398D853416.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	157770

Name:	187679E5-BD68-4456-A281-6A46E12AC022.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	157769

Name:	9B7140FC-CDA8-4862-98A7-4ACA583214AD.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	157767

Starboard side launch tube assembly just about done. Still some minor work to be done and a few more small parts to machine.

First time since I designed this thing about a year ago that I’ve seen both port and starboard launch assemblies together in person and not just a CAD model on a computer screen. Kinda cool.

Nick

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Nick,
          How about a demo video of this working.
          Last edited by redboat219; 01-08-2022, 11:58 PM.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
            Nick,
            How about a demo video of this working.
            Hey Romel,

I will definitely make some videos of this latest version of the forward launch tube assembly working. I need to finish it first as I am sharing this build in real time as progress is made. There are videos on my YouTube channel demonstrating the early version working.

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

A quick overhead video of the type VII project as it is currently.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Insane Nick!! Looks like you are getting very close to a full system test. Keep that momentum going.
                  Last edited by SubDude; 01-10-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Dry firing tubes 1 & 3

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

That is what i call a snapshot, nice!!!, how much does the complete contraption weigh?

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by MFR1964
                        That is what i call a snapshot, nice!!!, how much does the complete contraption weigh?

Manfred.
                        Thanks! It is pretty fun to play around with pushing the temporary launch buttons.

Borrowed the Mrs. kitchen scale to weigh the complete contraption.
                        348 grams or 12.28 ounces.

Name:	232AA3DB-1A4B-479E-9C0D-3D47CCBA96A5.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	157852

Nick

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Nick,

Now you know how much bouyency more you need if you don't use foam, as for firing, in the past i used a single servo with five switches, by turning a knob i could choose which tube i wanted to fire, there was a channel controlled relais between the wires, so i could set the switch, and fire by activating the relais.
                          This way i got away with the use of only two channels, now i'm using a multiswitch, one channel is split into 6 relais, much simpler to use.
                          One remark about weight, the stuff on top of your boat must not be bigger as 2% as the total weight underwater, this to counteract the pendulum effect when you raise the boat and when the wind hits your conningtower on the surface.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2020

Manfred,

Thank you for your help. It is good to know what this launch mechanism actually weighs now. Like you are doing, I am also now using one channel to pick and launch each of the 5 tubes.

As far as weight goes, I will need to check the ratio between the below waterline total weight at surfaced level verses the above waterline total weight of everything at surface level. Thanks for sharing that ideal percentage. I’ve done everything I could to stay true to the original design layout of these boats when it comes to the launch tube equipment and where that equipment was placed. Most of it is below waterline. I had to add 7 oz of weight to the forward section already to bring the WTC down. She’s getting heavy but most equipment weight is already placed down low and the cylinder has a lot of buoyancy dry. Close to floating this contraption, so it will be interesting to see where the cards fall.

Nick
                            Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 01-11-2022, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Name:	317B2C5D-FCD9-4272-BEF8-DBAB75DC883E.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	157882

More completed forward launch tubes

Name:	F8D47FB2-3F4F-4E20-8217-B656AAC238D6.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	157881

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

Since I have separated the Arkmodel type VIIC hull at the waterline from bow to stern, it is very easy to weigh everything above waterline.

For those curious what everything above waterline roughly weighs, here ya go.

Name:	C2FE5AC0-F449-499E-A5AB-6B5C6A44FE71.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	157889

504 grams. I have not included handrails, deck gun or other small bits but those can be weighed separately and added to the total.

Comment

Working...