X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goshawk823
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Periscope enema's used to be a specialty at Mount Trashmore lake till the Greenies complained. Answering the age-old question: how high can a duck jump out of the water.
    At least a foot,,. unless they actually took off after the proctology exam

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Periscope enema's used to be a specialty at Mount Trashmore lake till the Greenies complained. Answering the age-old question: how high can a duck jump out of the water.
      ROTFLMAO!!!!

Periscope up!

Sounds like I’m gonna to need to add a high pressure water pump and nozzle to one of the periscopes! LOL

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by goshawk823

At least a foot,,. unless they actually took off after the proctology exam
        The goose got goosed!!! Hahaha

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

No significant update tonight other than I’m getting the aft torpedo tube launcher parts designed. About 85% there. It is designed much like the launch tubes in the bow. The aft tube can handle both electric weapons as well as gas driven weapons. Debating currently on adding an opening muzzle door. Can’t find any detailed drawings or images on the web of what the type VII aft muzzle door looked like. I’m guessing it rotated up towards the deck like the type XI?

Comment

• Sam Victory
            Commander
            • Sep 2021

If I'm not mistaken this should be the stern torpedo tube, and like the Type IX submarine, the torpedo hatch is rotating open and closed.

This reminds me of a click-action highlighter I used to use, when not in use the nib is retracted and protected by a hemispherical sleeve, when in use just click the end of the pen, the hemispherical sleeve rotates open, then the nib sticks out and you can write, very much like the U-boat stern torpedo hatch opening and closing structure, isn't it?

V
            ​​​​​​​
            Click image for larger version  Name:	01bf288403322e0bcccd1f7aa07abcfd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.0 KB ID:	156600

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Thanks Sam Victory,

I tried doing a search for the pens you’ve described to get a look at one of these open but could not find any photos.

After my post yesterday, I decided to take another look through the many books and drawings that I have collected over the years on u-boats to try to find an answer to how the stern muzzle door opened on a Type VIIC. It appears from the drawings that the stern torpedo muzzle door was hinged at the 12 o’clock position perpendicular to the tube’s axial centerline as I suspected. In the drawings it appears there is a well just aft and above the top of the tube to accommodate the muzzle door opening this way.

Nick

Comment

• goshawk823
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                Thanks Sam Victory,

I tried doing a search for the pens you’ve described to get a look at one of these open but could not find any photos.

After my post yesterday, I decided to take another look through the many books and drawings that I have collected over the years on u-boats to try to find an answer to how the stern muzzle door opened on a Type VIIC. It appears from the drawings that the stern torpedo muzzle door was hinged at the 12 o’clock position perpendicular to the tube’s axial centerline as I suspected. In the drawings it appears there is a well just aft and above the top of the tube to accommodate the muzzle door opening this way.

Nick
                I was trying to find a photo of that tube in my own research stuff, but couldn't find it. the way you describe it is how I remembered it being documented/photographed.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I was trying to find a photo of that tube in my own research stuff, but couldn't find it. the way you describe it is how I remembered it being documented/photographed.
                  Same, that is how I remember it (from research not first hand).
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Thank you for looking through your files for these details as well.

I’ve run across some great photos posted on other sites showing details of the rear tube and that is also how I recall the muzzle door and area just aft of it looking before the steel hull panels take on the tube shape the rest of the distance aft.

Unfortunately the U-995 that still survives today has had a lot of it outer hull details replaced and sealed up over the years to combat the deterioration. The forward torpedo shutters and aft muzzle door areas have been sealed up. Early photos of the boat when it was first placed where it is today clearly show the changes it has gone through when compared to present day appearance.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by trout

Same, that is how I remember it (from research not first hand).
                      Awesome thanks Tom!

Comment

• neitosub
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Nov 2021

Hi Nick,

Here are the schematics showing the rear torpedo tube door and its associated linkages on a Type VII. This is from the book "Vom Originale zum Modell Uboot Typ VII" by Fritz Kohl:

The semi-spherical outer door is shown as a dotted outline I believe.

Hope this helps,

Nate

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by neitosub
                          Hi Nick,

Here are the schematics showing the rear torpedo tube door and its associated linkages on a Type VII. This is from the book "Vom Originale zum Modell Uboot Typ VII" by Fritz Kohl:

The semi-spherical outer door is shown as a dotted outline I believe.

Hope this helps,

Nate
                          Nate,

This is great! Thank you! Yes it helps a ton! I have similar drawings but the details are much smaller to see.

This is what I have come up with so far for the Arkmodel type VIIC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA26AB85-5957-4F3D-9550-059C5F43E69E.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	156619

The image quality of the CAD screen shot saved at a low quality but it still shows the basics. Haven’t added the muzzle door well yet and have more design work to do on the various linkages and such. It’s getting there a bit at a time.

Nick

Comment

• Sam Victory
                            Commander
                            • Sep 2021

Nate,

This is great! Thank you! Yes it helps a ton! I have similar drawings but the details are much smaller to see.

This is what I have come up with so far for the Arkmodel type VIIC.

Name:	CA26AB85-5957-4F3D-9550-059C5F43E69E.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	156619

The image quality of the CAD screen shot saved at a low quality but it still shows the basics. Haven’t added the muzzle door well yet and have more design work to do on the various linkages and such. It’s getting there a bit at a time.

Nick
                            The two pictures I posted earlier are also from the book "Vom Original zum Modell_ Uboottyp VIIC", but strangely they don't seem to show up on the forum (but they work fine on my computer).

V

Name:	捕获.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	156621

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Sam Victory

The two pictures I posted earlier are also from the book "Vom Original zum Modell_ Uboottyp VIIC", but strangely they don't seem to show up on the forum (but they work fine on my computer).

V

Views:	245
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	156621
                              Sam V,

Thank you. Yes I did notice from the post you made earlier that there must’ve been more photos you posted but they weren’t showing up when I saw your post. I have had that happen with posts that I have made. If it is not too much trouble, would you mind posting the second schematic from your original post?

Thank you,

Nick

Comment

• Sam Victory
                                Commander
                                • Sep 2021

Sam V,

Thank you. Yes I did notice from the post you made earlier that there must’ve been more photos you posted but they weren’t showing up when I saw your post. I have had that happen with posts that I have made. If it is not too much trouble, would you mind posting the second schematic from your original post?

Thank you,

Nick
                                Sure , here you go.

Views:	410
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	156624

Name:	捕获1.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	77.4 KB