X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Ghost Nautilus

Not quite quite a build for Builder's threads but the voices in my head are telling me this will be a future build-I envision a Disney nautilus' exterior hull made entirely of Lexan panels and sheets (or any other durable clear material). all the interior frames also made from clear plastic. The sub driver or dive boxes to be a dark color and the interior of the outer shell to be very lightly bead blast frosted to where the dark interior mechanicals are but shadows. I see a complete dim hidden LED lighting between the hulls that flicker at slow intervals (maybe at a breathing rate) All the rivets could easily be dots of Bondic UV cure plastic.
    I will have to put this one in the queue for when I am not living in a hotel out of Home Depot cardboard boxes!-BG
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

I can hear the Toccata in D minor now...
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Ha-maybe there will be enough room for an SD card based sound system. or better yet put the sound system in the mooring buoy.
      Last edited by Bob Gato; 11-29-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

How about making a unpainted fiberglass hull. Something like those fiberglass lampshade . Click image for larger version

Name:	images (6).jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	145361
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Interesting suggestion, but I had imagined giving the sub the illusion of being transparent-where the facets of hull plating deflect and diffuse the light enough to hide the interior-just translucent is not an option.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	12153358.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	145368
          Last edited by Bob Gato; 11-30-2020, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Scott T
            Commander
            • May 2009

So how about having a printer print on the rivet detail and panel lines on flat lexan sheets?

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

Scott -I have used Bondic UV cure plastic in the past and it works extremely well for rivets...as for panel lines, I would expect real separate panels.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=bondic

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

The light bulb in redboat's lamp above just went off over my head-"Water clear casting resin". How strong is it? those paperweights that you buy in the mall certainly seem strong- Simple, just cast the hull parts with that polyester crystal clear resin-yes internal support structure would take some thinking. And it might be heavy-no additional ballast required- I wonder how thin the unreinforced resin would be practical.

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Maybe you could ask Scott Brodeen to cast you a clear cast version of his 1/69 Disney Nautilus.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Scott is out of the Nautilus game and has been for ages. I've got molds. A clear Nautilus would be really interesting, but the hull is about 1/4" thick in most spots, so it wouldn't be "water clear". It's also a smaller(ish) boat. Not sure what Bob had in mind for a scale, but it's certainly an option to try. I'm willing to give it a go.

Bob

Comment

• Bob Gato
                      Captain
                      • Feb 2019

Its an evolution in design-I was thinking something that's bath tub testable and hatch back transportable ... somewhere around 1:50 to 1:72-although 1:64 is a kind of an odd ball scale it would be perfect.
                      I was thinking of clear resin casting each panel and bonding to clear interior frames but IDK how that would work out-the cast pieces would all need individual buffing. The most likely best practical would involve a mix of flat poly or acrylic panels and cast the thicker jewelry and scales from resin.
                      Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-04-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Are the tools designed to be used with pressure casting- the clear resin usually requires it to ensure a bubble free finish.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

Yes they should be-molds should be platinum silicone and vacuum degased -final casting should be done under pressure to suppress bubbles.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Clear resin also "likes" heat treatment to get to its full specs on hardness. That said, I always liked the clear sub that was in the older Regattas. I do not know who made it, but I thought it was a great teaching tool.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by trout
                              I always liked the clear sub that was in the older Regattas. I do not know who made it, but I thought it was a great teaching tool.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	52bd375e5f50f0345f0b77b9199337a5.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	145537must be Rick Galinson.

Comment

Working...