X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

My Disney Nautilus build 

Got this baot from Bob at the Dry Docks. This is the replacement for my 66 inch model Steve now has. I got to say this is a little jewel. Although have have built many of these for customers this time I'm using a subdriver and following Bob's videos which are a huge help in improving the operation of this boat over anything I have done with this model in the past.

I made a lot of progress in the short time I had yesterday at the studio. I have so much costumer work to do and orders to fill it's hard to find the time but I need my basket weaving at the end of the day!

I got the stern cut done, the prop pitch mechanism in place, the key and ram hold downs in. In addition to all that Bob's 3D printed WTC mounts were a huge help for keying the cylinder in place.

Thanks to Steve I got my rust kit in the mail yesterday. Thanks Steve for turning me on to these.

Lots to do still but I'm enjoying this build. These drive well in the wet no matter what the size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5366 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	139160Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5365 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.9 KB ID:	139161Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5380 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	139162Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5388.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	139163
    Attached Files
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

The Nautilus got a few more things done to it yesterday amidst all the goings on at the studio. Placing the pitching prop was an interesting task. I have never liked this set up but the real or actual Nautilus didn't have dive planes that were very effective in real life operations. After all it was a movie model with tinny dive planes. Pitching the prop or adding dive planes in the stern were the two options. But I got it to work and it's pretty smooth. You don't have to pitch the prop much for it to be effective I have found. Just a little will do. I went with the duel dog bone because I didn't have a u-joint handy to place aft. The fuel tubing worked but I didn't seem to get enough swing or pivot. This worked although a bit wobbly at certain RPM it is overall smooth.

Got the rudder working smoothly although for it to be effective it will need a clear plastic removable for display rudder extension. Again being a movie model the designed rudder isn't very effective at all.

There is little way to hide the rudder control rod to the rudder. Bob Martin hide his low using the same method but I found it difficult to reach the WTC output shaft from such a low angle and gave up on it and just went straight to it from above the WTC. Still I had a pretty steep bend but it works so smoothly now and it is all about functionality of a working RC boat.

I pretty much have all the business stuff done and manhandling so I should be able to start doing the cosmetics next.

Bob. What is the best way to get rid of this warp so the boat closes better. I had the same problem for the 66 inch. If I press down hard with my hand I can get it to close. I'm Leary of using the heat gun and it will mostly likely in the summer heat at the pond go back to the warp once warmed up. All resins have a memory once cast. If they are pulled before fully set up the warp is part of that memory.

It closes OK enough but it will show at the salon. I'm thinking of just filling the gap at the salon with Evercoat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5392.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	139183Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5393.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	139184Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5389.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	139185Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5404 (2).jpg
Views:	489
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	139186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5391.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	139187Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5403.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	139188Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5401.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	139189

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Hi Steve,

Your Nautilus is starting to take shape! I really appreciate you taking the time to put up the photos! I ordered the Disney Nautilus 1:77 scale starter kit from Bob about two weeks ago, and he is waiting on some of the parts coming in from his suppliers before he can ship. Is your boat set up to static dive? I see you have the gas set-up in your ballast tank! My kit will not have the gas set-up, but can be added later. Bob seemed to feel this boat dives great as a dynamic diver. I most likely will add the gas set-up, I would like to static dive this boat.

I will be following you as you build on, thank you again for putting this build and photos up for all of us to see!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Steve,

The upper hull is warped slightly so that you can push it down tighter? Or are you just worried about the gap?

If the former, heat that baby up with a heat gun and hold it tight for a few minutes while cooling. The hull is thick, so it's not likely you will damage any details. I'm a bit surprised if that is the case as the hull halves typically fit really tight. I'm not surprised at the gap, which is typical and easily worked over once you attach the salon face and do a bit of filling.

Rob, that cylinder doesn't have a gas backup installed. That is the safety float valve for the SAS system. Steve will need to yank that, tape over the hole, and just plumb straight from the air intake (either in the wheelhouse roof or the dorsal fin) to the pump intake, and from the pump to the ballast tank. This is the original SNORT variant for the SubDrivers and it has the advantage of really bulletproof operation. As the Nautilus will be a quasi-dynamic diver, this is an ideal setup.

Full static diving is, in my opinion, overrated and nothing much more than a parlor trick. In practical application, a sub would never dive without being underway. The Nautilus is a very good design for the most part, and if ballasted properly, is fully submerged within just a few feet of forward movement.

Bob

Comment

• scubaed1911
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jul 2019

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting your progress!
          If you're part of the particulate, then you're not part of the solution"

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Thanks Bob,

Thanks for setting me/us straight on the gas back-up system on the Nautilus! After watching your video of the maiden I see what you are talking about!

Rob

Comment

• SteveNeill
              Commander
              • Apr 2020

I have found using the Vallejo pigments that once clear coat goes on it diminishes the rust effect dramatically. What I'm going to do now is mix a color similar to the old rust and airbrush the rust effect. This has worked effectively in the past. I really like the look of the pigments but they are a bit dry looking for me. I used the same Krylon clear Steve did but when I did it went back to just a bronze look with very little rust effect.

Bit by bit I'm getting this boat together. I'm very happy with it. All the lighting holes are drilled out from the salon windows to the gator eyes. I'm ready to install the lighting. I miss the metal parts that use to come with this kit but the resin is working OK. Once this hull is painted it really pops and looks of camera like a much bigger boat. It has a great deal of scale and size for such a little model.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5427.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	139258Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	139259Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5431.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	139260

Name:	IMG-5442.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	139261

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Steve, your Nautilus is taking shape and really looking great! I sure will be glad when my Nautilus kit gets here, I am looking forward to this build! I purchased my first airbrush system with compressor, and a spray booth system just for my Nautilus build, and of course I will use it on other projects as well.

It seems each of those that are building or have built this boat have there own view and take as to the amount of rust color to apply to the it. I like seeing all the different renditions and that no two boast are the same color schemes.

Keep up the great work, and have fun!!:-))

Rob

Comment

• SteveNeill
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2020

Thank you Rob! I will be glad to see you get your boat and start building! She's a great build.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Steve,

Most if not all my Submarines will be put into service into our swimming pool! Health issues have put the kybosh on me getting around like I used to. But I am into this Sub building stuff 100%. So after doing the research and some larger sub builds that just do not maneuver in a small pool, and with that in mind I went to Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) and after watching his maiden voyage of the 1:77 scale Disney Nautilus video, and conferring with him. He said hands down this would make a great pool Sub! And his video really showed that.

So with that, I am really looking forward to this one!:-))

Rob

Comment

• SteveNeill
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2020

Same here Rob. All I have access to for now is a large pool in Ojai California about 20 minutes from my studio and house. I can even fly a small RC plane on my friends large property. I'm heading there today to test the VIIC and fly a J-3 cub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                        Steve,

Most if not all my Submarines will be put into service into our swimming pool! Health issues have put the kybosh on me getting around like I used to. But I am into this Sub building stuff 100%. So after doing the research and some larger sub builds that just do not maneuver in a small pool, and with that in mind I went to Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) and after watching his maiden voyage of the 1:77 scale Disney Nautilus video, and conferring with him. He said hands down this would make a great pool Sub! And his video really showed that.

So with that, I am really looking forward to this one!:-))

Rob

Further demonstrating the maneuverability of the small N in a pool:

I did this one as a turn-key RTR for a customer. I'm teaching him (a professional blimp pilot by trade) how to drive and maintain his model NAUTILUS.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Thank you David! That was great to see it in action!

That YouTube has really got me ready for that Nautilus build! Might be I could fly you out and have you handy for it's maiden when I get it finished.:-))

I will CERTAINLY be leaning on you for some help on my build! (You and Bob)

Steve,

Hope your test run goes well on the sub, and you have blue sky's for the J-3 flight. Hear are some photos of my LAST airplane build and flight!!

Name:	photo[5602].JPG
Views:	492
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	139389Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[5603].JPG
Views:	466
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	139390

Name:	photo[5600].JPG
Views:	498
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	139391Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[5601].JPG
Views:	437
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	139392

This was a scale Electric Balsa USA kit of a Fokker E.lll Eindecker! It was the last of my RC Airplane builds, and the last day of my flying! Could not have asked for a better flying airplane or a better day to fly! Now moving forward to some great Sub building!!

Thanks for allowing me to share this experience on this forum!!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat" (Say a little prayer for the LA Firemen that where injured yesterday)

Comment

• SteveNeill
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2020

Rob why the last day of flying? I sneaked out yesterday and flew a J-3 off a dirt road in Ojai. My friend there besides the pool has a lot of land and a dirt road of sorts near and wash. I took off the little dirt road and flew out over the wash and back to the road for a landing. Our field has been closed in LA but they opened it up again just the other day with many restrictions and even the authorities present. I don't like thise conditions for a hobby so if I see and unused road or street I see a runway. Especially up here in Ventura where the cops will not enforce the FAA's ridiculous restrictions. ;) Beautiful Eindecker!

The test went pretty well with the VIIC but I had a problem with sucking in water into the pump via the snort valve. I got a bit of water into the WTC that prevented me from going much further than a tri around the pool and one dive and surface. Dive plane servo stopped responding due to getting a bit wet at the connector. So I have some glitches to work out still. Boat handled very well overall. No leaks from the cylinder itself.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2020

Rob I hear you and you are one of those best people for sure. I am so glad you found this hobby. The hobby and the people involved in it are life savers! So glad to know you.

Comment

Working...