1:18 Seal delivery vehicle. Let’s try this again.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

1:18 Seal delivery vehicle. Let’s try this again.....

Many years ago, I attempted an SDV mk8 in 1:12th scale. It’s still in the rafters with numerous issues. I started this model last week and already have the tail section in the printer. Still not sure if this will be dynamic or static. We don’t need a large ballast tank so I’m even thinking an rcabs would be enough to get it to positive. CAD images are super rough now but I’ll get some renderings out soon.

DH
    Attached Files
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

I have started many scratch builds off of a figure. This one is no exception as these divers will look great with the seams filled and some correct rebreathers added. Will need help from the master for that....
    Tail section print visible below.

DH
    Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ffr2608
      I have started many scratch builds off of a figure. This one is no exception as these divers will look great with the seams filled and some correct rebreathers added. Will need help from the master for that....
      Tail section print visible below.

DH
      Blast me the dimensions of the hub and propeller and this time I'll make the proper propeller master for this long suffering project. Redemption is at hand!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2009

Say what you want about $200 printers but I’m quite happy to wake up to this. Pushrod channels already molded in.

Thanks for the offer Dave. Let me get take a stab at it first and I’ll let you know....

DH
        Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

Almost finished with the digital work. I added some appendages and the upper periscope details. Some things are adjusted for scale and print limitations.

DH
          Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2009

Rear section and appendages are ready for sanding and fitment. The pushrod tubes are in and linkage setup should be pretty simple. This should be a very maneuverable boat with the control surfaces behind the prop. Need a cheap APC if anyone has one or a link. Bow section is almost complete.
            Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ffr2608
              Rear section and appendages are ready for sanding and fitment. The pushrod tubes are in and linkage setup should be pretty simple. This should be a very maneuverable boat with the control surfaces behind the prop. Need a cheap APC if anyone has one or a link. Bow section is almost complete.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                Captain
                • Dec 2010

Hello
                Thanks for sharing your build progress. All I can say is WOW! The figures look store bought. Look like McFarlane Seal figures. Just incredible to my eyes.
                George

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

I think the figures are 1:18 21st century. Unfortunately, I now realize I built this in 1:16 to get a bit more size for internals. I was planning on a closed hatch boat so no issue for me.

DH

Comment

• ffr2608
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Oct 2009

The large section came out great. Going to show a couple of my tricks here. For the tall center parts, I add a spine to reduce wobble at the extreme end of the print. I also put a small dab of CA on the bottom corners after about 1mm has printed. Had to tap this part off with a hammer. I also use the glue stick on a glass bed. Next shots show the 1/16” pins to join the hulls. After the epoxy cures, I glass a small strip inside and out to stop seam issues. Hull thickness on this hull is 3mm with the join surfaces about 4mm and it is very sturdy. Less than $25 in material for all sections.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Oct 2009

Propeller progress today. One of the toughest parts to print needed some help. I used “mesh mixer” software to generate these structures and print vertically. Less than 10 minutes of sanding so far and we are getting close. Blades are plenty strong and have a slightly flattened pitch. Should allow me to use a smaller motor to swing it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• george
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2010

Hi
                        You said you printed this in 1/16 scale, could you tell me what the size of it is in 1/16?
                        Your figures WOW can`t stop looking at them. The detail is incredible. You did them from scratch or did you work with a file and modify it?

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Are those Elite Force 1/18 Navy divers?
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Scott T
                            Commander
                            • May 2009

DH, Nice work. The prop looks amazing. I really like how you printed in the holes for the rudder and dive planes. How long did the CAD modeling work take? Scott T

Comment

• ffr2608
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Oct 2009

Thanks guys,
                              In scale, It is about 16.5". The figures are 2 brands. Elite Force and 21st Century I believe. Not cheap these days but I grabbed every one I could find when we used to have toy stores. Can be found on Ebay still.
                              As for the CAD work, Probably 6-10 hours so far. A very simple model compared to the Lotus with its automotive surfacing. Prop was about 2 hours considering 2 or 3 tries at it. Print took 4 and finishing about 1.

DH

Comment

Working...