Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

Agreed. I spent 20 years at Toyota surfacing interiors and exteriors. In clay and on the screen. Neither was easy.

DH

Comment

• SteveNeill
      Commander
      • Apr 2020

Agreed on all counts. A printer is on the way here. I try not think about it much until it gets here. Thankfully I have worked for years with computers on all levels of 3D imaging mostly modeling in lighwave for film and TV which should help. Still I love working with my hands too and this model was entirely hand crafted, 66 inches long and built from my molds in epoxy glass. But on the next model I will print all the smaller stuff. It was a a pain to make the small parts for this model.

Not to mention the second large mold here which was all hand built from styene and resin parts made from silicone waste molds. I own this model but it was made for an exhibit in San Francisco and was there for 6 months before they returned it. I had 6-7 weeks to build it from scratch. I nearly didn't make it. I can only imagine how much the printer would have helped here as I cut out millions of small parts to put on panels. Not to mention the windows cut into styrene.

And Darrin there's that vacuum form machine in the BKG. It's a really good one and pulls flush to the bed every time. I want to try making a negative mold with panel lines and details and pull into that. The printer can print molds too I would imagine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060014.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	138844

Name:	IMG-0548.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	138845
      Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2009

Absolutely on the molds. How big is the vac-form machine "suck area"???

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

Built the masters up last night and did a quick Ultracal30 plaster mold. Should be able to get at least 4 parts from these. Plan is to lay 1 up for a runner and eventually, 1 heavy layup with details for a display boat or ?????
          Happy with the results and will start sanding it out after a full day of curing. Need to knock down the door cuts and details.....Uggggh, Time to buy the fiberglass materials....

DH
          Attached Files

Comment

• ffr2608
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2009

Mold is cured and has several coats of PVA. Plan to lay up in the morning.
            Attached Files

Comment

• vital.spark
              Commander
              • May 2010

As a past Lotus owner, I'd would like to purchase a set if you're willing to sell?

Comment

• SteveNeill
                Commander
                • Apr 2020

Ultracal 30 the breakfast of champions! Darrin I will have to measure when I get in today but its about 19 x 14. It might be bigger. I'm planning a new Washington class boat I hope to vacuum form with it in three sections with reverse or negative molds.

BTW I just heard from those people in China who wrote to me again saying my order has been delayed being shipped until the end of this month. I was surprised really. Evidently many people that were scammed by then did eventually get the machine. Time will tell.

Wow this model is really looking good as usual Darrin!

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Darrin,
                  Great to see you back at it!
                  This is going to be fun to see this run.
                  Peace,
                  Tom
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ffr2608
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Oct 2009

Not selling anything for the Lotus. Too much license stuff to be concerned with and after laying up that hull, I am done with glass for a while.

DH

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SteveNeill
                      Agreed on all counts. A printer is on the way here. I try not think about it much until it gets here. Thankfully I have worked for years with computers on all levels of 3D imaging mostly modeling in lighwave for film and TV which should help. Still I love working with my hands too and this model was entirely hand crafted, 66 inches long and built from my molds in epoxy glass. But on the next model I will print all the smaller stuff. It was a a pain to make the small parts for this model.

Not to mention the second large mold here which was all hand built from styene and resin parts made from silicone waste molds. I own this model but it was made for an exhibit in San Francisco and was there for 6 months before they returned it. I had 6-7 weeks to build it from scratch. I nearly didn't make it. I can only imagine how much the printer would have helped here as I cut out millions of small parts to put on panels. Not to mention the windows cut into styrene.

And Darrin there's that vacuum form machine in the BKG. It's a really good one and pulls flush to the bed every time. I want to try making a negative mold with panel lines and details and pull into that. The printer can print molds too I would imagine.

Name:	P1060014.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	138844

Name:	IMG-0548.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	138845
                      Steve,

Those models are fantastic! And again I am taken back by your work! Thanks for sharing those photos with us!

Rob

"firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• ffr2608
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2009

Parts are pulled from the mold and rough trimmed. Lots of voids to deal with I have been through worse. Nice, heavy layup should reduce a bit of the spring out common with flat laminates.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• SteveNeill
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2020

Great Darrin this will shape up nicely.

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Did you mould that with polyester resin? Thought you tended to prefer epoxy.

Comment

• ffr2608
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Oct 2009

Polyester so I could take advantage of the gel coat surface. Lots of details on a car body and much easier to scribe lines in it after.

Comment

• ben1272
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • May 2020

May I ask why you did not simply use the printed parts for the sub?

Comment

Working...