Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
    Yeah but you have to remember that was Guam. Gooks Under American Management. OK my cheap butt went to Harbor Freight and got a digital scale. Sail and deck weigh 18oz for the 1/48 U-boat.
    Yeah. Remember the Moon Bar -- about five miles down the road from the Polaris missile just outside the gate? Only action between Pad-5 and the Japanese hotels. Funny, what the Japanese failed to hold during the war, they bought after it! Only beautiful thing about that island arm-pit was Gab-Gab beach -- most beautiful diving I ever did, magnificent coral cliff!

All right then, I'll outfit your MSD with a 30 oz. ballast tank and we're golden.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
      Captain
      • Jan 2017

Can't remember the name of the beach that was on the base real close. We use to hang out there. We didn't use to go into Agana very many times as the Guamanians didn't like us Navy guys very much. Guam us to get loaded up all the time with Japanese tourists.

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

Well looks like next on the mold hit parade after the Yankee II is a 1/72 Akula. So many boats but just so much time.

Comment

• gantu
          Commander
          • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• 598602G
            Captain
            • Jan 2017

Revision on the next mold after Yankee II. Next mold is 1/72 Foxtrot. Plans I have been using are THE best plans on the planet. Super scale and detailed to the max. If you are wanting to build a Russian sub or build just about any Russian 1/350 submarine model in resin then send Boris Volkov a email. I own several of his models and have several of his plans. Ask Dave how good they are. Some of his plans are Alfa, Charlie I, Yankee II, Typhoon, Foxtrot, Akula,Kilo,Lada,Mike,Papa just to name a few. It is Boris Volkov email is rusubs@yandex.ru Tell Boris I sent you.

Comment

• JHapprich
              Captain
              • Oct 2017

@Gantu: happens to be a Delta I ,actually?

Link :
              Last edited by JHapprich; 12-03-2019, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
                @Gantu: happens to be a Delta I ,actually?

Link :
                Those are beautiful resin kits! And well assembled, painted and presented as well. Very good work on display at that site.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2017

I have his Charlie I, Golf II, Delta III & IV models. Tell you on thing I would only use Boris's drawings when building a Russian boat.

Comment

• JHapprich
                    Captain
                    • Oct 2017

What would i have to pay for one of his plans?

Comment

• 598602G
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2017

He sells them for $39.00 He will email you the cad file.

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

Thank you.thinking about buying one to help me finish my pr.665 in 1/50 scale

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you.thinking about buying one to help me finish my pr.665 in 1/50 scale
                          Evaluating the authority of plans of something as cloaked in secrecy as a nations combat submarines is hard to do. Post war all sorts of source material came out and presented in model-builder form by some reputable (floating drydock and Seagull), and simply awful (Wiswesser and 'fan' based work) plan services of submarine subjects.

As a young man, Soviet submarine source material was just not available to me this side of the 'confidential/secret classification divide. Most frustrating -- I 'knew' some neat ****, but could not disclose it. With the fall of the Wall, long after those times, things have changed over there. Even the Russian design bureaus are cranking out 'public relations' material that is most useful to the model builder.

I do know the ALFA, and I must say that the Boris Volkov plans of that boat are authoritative! I have to assume that his other work is source-material based. I recommend his work. I'm gathering documentation on the YANKEE and FOXTROT … Yeah! that again! … and his plans are front and center of those projects.

An aside, if you will permit me: When, and if, you buy Boris Volkov plans. Please pay the man! Don't accept copies from a 'friend'. You steal this guys work, he looses money, and he drops out of the business and we go without his excellent services. And that means file transfer of his work from computer to computer without compensating Boris. OK?

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                            Captain
                            • Oct 2017

Errr...needless to mention that for sure im going to pay him should i aquire one of his plans

Comment

• Aug 2008

Errr...needless to mention that for sure im going to pay him should i aquire one of his plans
                              I should have made it clear I was not talking about you, sir. Once I start bloviating like that I take out the occasional innocent through 'friendly-fire'. To be clear: I was not addressing the 'no pay' comment at you.

My apology for my scatter-shot post under your post. I'm an idiot.

David
                              Idiot
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                                Captain
                                • Jan 2017

Your not a idiot Dave just a old curmudgeon like me. Do you think I should make the sail 1 mold or a split mold right/left? Sail is pretty big

Comment

Working...