USS SHARK SSN-591: Refit Log 2019-04-17 (1:48 DeBoer Skipjack)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Sorry David, it is too late!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• firemanjim
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Mar 2018

Yeah, it's the one Bob built for me and yeah, I tried to lower the stern and see if that would help response and it helped slightly but it still tends to swing to starboard a lot in comparison to port which is odd because in Bob's video, it worked perfectly.
        The prop is not the stock one that DeBoer provided but is a four blade job Bob installed that he had in hand that is RH.

I was sailing it at the dam at Garner State Park which is only about 4 foot in depth and almost crystal clear with barely any current.
        As big as she is, anything less than a pond or a lake is way too teeny....lol.
        Love this boat, just gonna have to keep tweaking with her a bit till she behaves.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by firemanjim
          Yeah, it's the one Bob built for me and yeah, I tried to lower the stern and see if that would help response and it helped slightly but it still tends to swing to starboard a lot in comparison to port which is odd because in Bob's video, it worked perfectly.
          The prop is not the stock one that DeBoer provided but is a four blade job Bob installed that he had in hand that is RH.

I was sailing it at the dam at Garner State Park which is only about 4 foot in depth and almost crystal clear with barely any current.
          As big as she is, anything less than a pond or a lake is way too teeny....lol.
          Love this boat, just gonna have to keep tweaking with her a bit till she behaves.
          Yeah, I pulled the video at work. I saw the 7 bladed stock prop in the 1st video, but it looked like the 5 bladed RH speed prop, not 4 to me. Regardless, looked good.

So she should walk to STBD, steering to Port, not the opposite as you described. Propeller walk
          I took advantage of it on my MacGregor 26X, Bristol 29.9 and Pearson 323. Made all the difference. I still use the small boat handling skills on my model subs.
          "Docking is fun!"

Sounds like you have an excellent running venue. Give us some video's!

BTW, Bob makes everything look perfect! (Compliment)

I've been tweaking this bi-otch for decades lol
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• firemanjim
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Mar 2018

Duh, yeah, it's the five blade, not 4.....my bad.
            She looked good when I took her out except for when I tried to turn to port and ended up switching between reverse and port because she kept moving to starboard.
            Bad enough that was happening but then , wouldn't you know it, I started getting an audience at the worst possible time....lol.

Ah well, I'll try again soon with better results hopefully and video footage!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Yeah, she's a big girl Ed and I wasn't expecting her to turn on a dime, but she really has a problem turning to port.
              I'm gonna try adjusting the throw on my rudder and if that don't work, I'll hit you up on that file....thanks!
              Now you guys got me double-checking my work!

I really didn't notice anything but very predicable and stately performance from Jim's boat when I took her out for her maiden voyage. Turns to both starboard and port exhibited similar characteristics. I'm really picky about that kind of thing on the bench from a throw perspective, too, so I don't know that that's the case. Of course, she traveled a distance in the gentle hands of the shipping company, so anything could have happened in transit.

Here is the video link to your boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95akrfjVigI. If you check the 15:00 mark (ish) there is a good shot of her turning to port in semi-submerged trim. Nothings seems wonky...

Bob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Duh, yeah, it's the five blade, not 4.....my bad.
                She looked good when I took her out except for when I tried to turn to port and ended up switching between reverse and port because she kept moving to starboard.
                Bad enough that was happening but then , wouldn't you know it, I started getting an audience at the worst possible time....lol.

Ah well, I'll try again soon with better results hopefully and video footage!
                Yeah...I more than understand "getting an audience at the worst possible time", cost me a Krick U-25. Even wrote an Article about it back in the September 1996 issue of the SCR. Issue 26 Page 41 ""Grey Lady Down". I love answering questions and showing what we do......when it works lol!!

Oh....this was on the page before it! Ooooooohhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyy!! (ala George Takei) Nice legs.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	Merriman.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	131939

Back to your SHARK......

It would be interesting to see some video of the rudder being cycled back and forth from the stern with the boat on the hard.

Originally posted by SubHuman

I really didn't notice anything but very predicable and stately performance from Jim's boat when I took her out for her maiden voyage. Turns to both starboard and port exhibited similar characteristics. I'm really picky about that kind of thing on the bench from a throw perspective, too, so I don't know that that's the case. Of course, she traveled a distance in the gentle hands of the shipping company, so anything could have happened in transit.

Here is the video link to your boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95akrfjVigI. If you check the 15:00 mark (ish) there is a good shot of her turning to port in semi-submerged trim. Nothings seems wonky...

Bob
                No need to Bob, I agree regarding the shipping company! She swam like a fish and I saw the throw of the rudder as I watched the video.

FWIW, I personally unwrapped that 688 I got from you and you could not have done a better job covering the tail feathers on her! We saw what happened to the lower rudder and Port stern plane. I loathe shipping companies, UPS, FEDEX, USPS...all of them, gorilla's in a Samsonite commercial and protected by Unions. BTW, the conversion to Flight 2 688 is getting started. "Maybe" this year, certainly Spring 2020. Want to wrap up PROTEUS.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• firemanjim
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Mar 2018

Originally posted by SubHuman

Bob

Bob, you did awesome work on my boat, what's happening now is no reflection on you buddy.

Yeah, I did have to do some repairs when I got the boat that I didn't tell you about namely the starboard dive plane because of UPS slamming the box apparently.
                  I fixed the problem but then when I took her out is when I noticed this latest problem.

No worries Bob, you did an awesome job on my boat....this is just Murphy's law at work, or as I like to say (and quite often I might add) this is the "Corrales Curse" at work......lol.
                  Last edited by firemanjim; 04-28-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• DMTNT
                    Commander
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    Rage, rage against the dying of the light...
                    Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• sgtmac1
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Nov 2014

Anything additional on your boat? My 1/48th SKIPJACK is coming up quick to be worked on...

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by sgtmac1
                        Anything additional on your boat? My 1/48th SKIPJACK is coming up quick to be worked on...
                        Other than she's taking a long winters nap?

Two very recent topics here at NDF's are based on her construction methods:

Right you are Bob Martin...

Diver Box questions w/answers

The rest I suggest forum searches, But to be honest, couldn't find my TOPICS specifically, I tried SSN-591, yields a lot more than just mine, or none at all.
                        I suggest crawling through the Builders and General topic forums for topics labeled "USS SHARK SSN-591: Refit Log..." or "USS SHARK SSN-591: Build Log..."

Here is my Google Photo Gallery, which you can browse through:
                        RC Subs: USS SHARK SSN-591 (1:48 Scale)

Finally, my clubs YouTube Channel with video's of her and plent of other "stuff":
                        ESMM/SubComLI Video's

If you haven't already, don't forget Bob Martin's YouTube Channel which contains excellent idea's for your upcoming build!
                        RCSubGuy

Particularly...
                        1:48 DeBoer Skipjack RC submarine

and this...
                        1:48 Skipjack Class RC Submarine - DeBoer Hulls

Later this coming spring I plan a detailed 6 Part walk through video of her, but this is what I have for now.
                        v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...