Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

USS SHARK SSN-591: Refit Log 2019-04-17 (1:48 DeBoer Skipjack)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...tocopulos.html
    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

    Comment


    • #17
      Sorry David, it is too late!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

      Comment


      • #18
        Yeah, it's the one Bob built for me and yeah, I tried to lower the stern and see if that would help response and it helped slightly but it still tends to swing to starboard a lot in comparison to port which is odd because in Bob's video, it worked perfectly.
        The prop is not the stock one that DeBoer provided but is a four blade job Bob installed that he had in hand that is RH.

        I was sailing it at the dam at Garner State Park which is only about 4 foot in depth and almost crystal clear with barely any current.
        As big as she is, anything less than a pond or a lake is way too teeny....lol.
        Love this boat, just gonna have to keep tweaking with her a bit till she behaves.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by firemanjim View Post
          Yeah, it's the one Bob built for me and yeah, I tried to lower the stern and see if that would help response and it helped slightly but it still tends to swing to starboard a lot in comparison to port which is odd because in Bob's video, it worked perfectly.
          The prop is not the stock one that DeBoer provided but is a four blade job Bob installed that he had in hand that is RH.

          I was sailing it at the dam at Garner State Park which is only about 4 foot in depth and almost crystal clear with barely any current.
          As big as she is, anything less than a pond or a lake is way too teeny....lol.
          Love this boat, just gonna have to keep tweaking with her a bit till she behaves.
          Yeah, I pulled the video at work. I saw the 7 bladed stock prop in the 1st video, but it looked like the 5 bladed RH speed prop, not 4 to me. Regardless, looked good.

          So she should walk to STBD, steering to Port, not the opposite as you described. Propeller walk
          I took advantage of it on my MacGregor 26X, Bristol 29.9 and Pearson 323. Made all the difference. I still use the small boat handling skills on my model subs.
          "Docking is fun!"

          Sounds like you have an excellent running venue. Give us some video's!

          BTW, Bob makes everything look perfect! (Compliment)

          I've been tweaking this bi-otch for decades lol
          v/r "Sub" Ed

          Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

          Comment


          • #20
            Duh, yeah, it's the five blade, not 4.....my bad.
            She looked good when I took her out except for when I tried to turn to port and ended up switching between reverse and port because she kept moving to starboard.
            Bad enough that was happening but then , wouldn't you know it, I started getting an audience at the worst possible time....lol.

            Ah well, I'll try again soon with better results hopefully and video footage!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by firemanjim View Post
              Yeah, she's a big girl Ed and I wasn't expecting her to turn on a dime, but she really has a problem turning to port.
              I'm gonna try adjusting the throw on my rudder and if that don't work, I'll hit you up on that file....thanks!
              Now you guys got me double-checking my work!

              I really didn't notice anything but very predicable and stately performance from Jim's boat when I took her out for her maiden voyage. Turns to both starboard and port exhibited similar characteristics. I'm really picky about that kind of thing on the bench from a throw perspective, too, so I don't know that that's the case. Of course, she traveled a distance in the gentle hands of the shipping company, so anything could have happened in transit.

              Here is the video link to your boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95akrfjVigI. If you check the 15:00 mark (ish) there is a good shot of her turning to port in semi-submerged trim. Nothings seems wonky...


              Bob

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by firemanjim View Post
                Duh, yeah, it's the five blade, not 4.....my bad.
                She looked good when I took her out except for when I tried to turn to port and ended up switching between reverse and port because she kept moving to starboard.
                Bad enough that was happening but then , wouldn't you know it, I started getting an audience at the worst possible time....lol.

                Ah well, I'll try again soon with better results hopefully and video footage!
                Yeah...I more than understand "getting an audience at the worst possible time", cost me a Krick U-25. Even wrote an Article about it back in the September 1996 issue of the SCR. Issue 26 Page 41 ""Grey Lady Down". I love answering questions and showing what we do......when it works lol!!

                Oh....this was on the page before it! Ooooooohhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyy!! (ala George Takei) Nice legs.........

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Merriman.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	131939




                Back to your SHARK......

                It would be interesting to see some video of the rudder being cycled back and forth from the stern with the boat on the hard.


                Originally posted by SubHuman View Post

                Now you guys got me double-checking my work!

                I really didn't notice anything but very predicable and stately performance from Jim's boat when I took her out for her maiden voyage. Turns to both starboard and port exhibited similar characteristics. I'm really picky about that kind of thing on the bench from a throw perspective, too, so I don't know that that's the case. Of course, she traveled a distance in the gentle hands of the shipping company, so anything could have happened in transit.

                Here is the video link to your boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95akrfjVigI. If you check the 15:00 mark (ish) there is a good shot of her turning to port in semi-submerged trim. Nothings seems wonky...


                Bob
                No need to Bob, I agree regarding the shipping company! She swam like a fish and I saw the throw of the rudder as I watched the video.

                FWIW, I personally unwrapped that 688 I got from you and you could not have done a better job covering the tail feathers on her! We saw what happened to the lower rudder and Port stern plane. I loathe shipping companies, UPS, FEDEX, USPS...all of them, gorilla's in a Samsonite commercial and protected by Unions. BTW, the conversion to Flight 2 688 is getting started. "Maybe" this year, certainly Spring 2020. Want to wrap up PROTEUS.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

                Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by SubHuman View Post

                  Now you guys got me double-checking my work!

                  I really didn't notice anything but very predicable and stately performance from Jim's boat when I took her out for her maiden voyage. Turns to both starboard and port exhibited similar characteristics. I'm really picky about that kind of thing on the bench from a throw perspective, too, so I don't know that that's the case. Of course, she traveled a distance in the gentle hands of the shipping company, so anything could have happened in transit.

                  Here is the video link to your boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95akrfjVigI. If you check the 15:00 mark (ish) there is a good shot of her turning to port in semi-submerged trim. Nothings seems wonky...


                  Bob

                  Bob, you did awesome work on my boat, what's happening now is no reflection on you buddy.

                  Yeah, I did have to do some repairs when I got the boat that I didn't tell you about namely the starboard dive plane because of UPS slamming the box apparently.
                  I fixed the problem but then when I took her out is when I noticed this latest problem.

                  No worries Bob, you did an awesome job on my boat....this is just Murphy's law at work, or as I like to say (and quite often I might add) this is the "Corrales Curse" at work......lol.
                  Last edited by firemanjim; 04-28-2019, 10:42 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post
                    Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X