X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Rob,
    so you started with the XXIII, making some nice progress, like Tom said, it's a nice kit, fairly accurate to the original, as for the details, you can go wild or keep it moderate.
    One question, where did you get that prop?, looking forward to the rest of your build.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

A term we have used here is to Manfred something, which means detail the heck out of it. Like manfred asked, tell us about your prop!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
        Commander
        • Mar 2016

Thanks guys.

Not going to do the full 'Manfred' on this one, just enough to lift it out of the ordinary.

The prop is from the supplier below, Raboesch do all kinds props and types.

Speaking of props, I'm going to do another 1/72 Revell Skipjack, anyone have a spare prop (very unusual design), willing to pay for postage and any other charges required.

Rob

Raboesch 45mm M4 Threaded 3 Blade R/H Brass D-Type Propeller

''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• The Boattrainman
          Commander
          • Mar 2016

Not going to do the full 'Manfred' on this one, just enough to lift it out of the ordinary.

The prop is from Raboesch:-
          Raboesch 45mm M4 Threaded 3 Blade R/H Brass D-Type Propeller

Supplier is Cornwall Model Boats, my favourite supplier, if I lived in the UK, I'd have the place haunted!

Speaking of props, I'm going to do another 1/72 Revell Skipjack, anyone got a spare prop, very unusual design, willing to pay all charges, postages whatever to get one.

Rob

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Prop Shop are ace for propellers- investment cast rather than fabricated, and supplied in either silicone bronze, stainless steel or aluminium, tapped to a thread of your choice, balanced and polished. A huge range available, and I believe he does a 1/72 Skipjack prop. https://www.prop-shop.co.uk/prop-shop-store.php

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
              Prop Shop are ace for propellers- investment cast rather than fabricated, and supplied in either silicone bronze, stainless steel or aluminium, tapped to a thread of your choice, balanced and polished. A huge range available, and I believe he does a 1/72 Skipjack prop. https://www.prop-shop.co.uk/prop-shop-store.php
              Plus one for propshop, once I get in funds I’m going to need one for my skipjack
              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Send me your mailing address and I'll fix you up. Just send back the shipping charge.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                  Commander
                  • Mar 2016

Dave,

Tried to PM you, it says you've exceeded your PM quota (whatever that is)!

Want to give you address details etc.

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Boattrainman
                    Dave,

Tried to PM you, it says you've exceeded your PM quota (whatever that is)!

Want to give you address details etc.

Rob
                    I don't do PM's, Rob. Here's my e-mail. I can box those up (and anything else you can think of) today and get it in the post tomorrow.

dmeriman@aol.com

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Subculture
                      I thought that Prop Shop had burned down? Are they back?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        Detail Nut of the First Order
                        • Sep 2010

Rob,
                        I will hunt that prop down at Rabousch, thanks for the tip, don't forget to paint it like steel, at the last period of the war they made them only in steel, just to save some brass for making other stuff.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                          Rob,
                          I will hunt that prop down at Rabousch, thanks for the tip, don't forget to paint it like steel, at the last period of the war they made them only in steel, just to save some brass for making other stuff.

Manfred.
                          Good point, and that white-metal propeller coming your way has that natural metallic 'metal' look to it already.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                            Commander
                            • Mar 2016

Thanks David, you're a gent!

I drilled out the holes for the bollards all the way through to let air out as they are now hollow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1966 (800x600).jpg Views:	2 Size:	246.7 KB ID:	131792Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1960 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	218.9 KB ID:	131793

I followed Manfred's advice and beefed up the deck planking with 1mm brass and also end stringers from 1.5mm x 0.5mm

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1970 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	241.6 KB ID:	131794

I added the extra piece to lengthen the run of planks, here it is finished and under construction from strip styrene.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1962 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.8 KB ID:	131795Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1961 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	352.2 KB ID:	131796

I made sure the hull break was at the end of the initial run of planks and cut down a kit supplied item and then added the extra one near the tower so any tiny differences are not noticeable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1966 (800x600).jpg Views:	2 Size:	246.7 KB ID:	131797Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1968 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	270.8 KB ID:	131798

The vulnerable cut down planking has reinforced ends on the single planks, they are sure to get whacked so extra strength is vital

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1969 (800x600).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	131799

The Boattrainman

Last edited by The Boattrainman; 04-17-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                              Commander
                              • Mar 2016

Nice turned scope from Wikinger.................

Name:	IMG_1971 (800x600).jpg
Views:	348
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	131832

.........and the lift mechanism, closed cell foam and two shaft collars...............

Name:	IMG_1972 (800x600).jpg
Views:	322
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	131833

...........and in the raised position.

Name:	IMG_1973 (800x600).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	131834

I found these 1.5mm tubes in my spares box, collars will be a nice feature.

Name:	IMG_1974 (800x600).jpg
Views:	319
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	131835

The pins are soldered on top, won't install till the painting phase.

Name:	IMG_1975 (800x600).jpg
Views:	286
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	131836

The Boattrainman

Comment

• The Boattrainman
                                Commander
                                • Mar 2016

Question for the knowledgeable!

Does the XXIII have a rear white navigation light on the tower, also is the large centre hole on the front of the tower for a light, I hear most were removed.

Rob

Comment

Working...