Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

That's the plan. We should end up with a tidy rear end, at last.

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Given that the waterline cut makes the upper and lower hull meeting so acute I'm wondering if I should do the same thing to the bow. Maybe cast the first eight inches or so as one piece and just drop that into the original mould and then add the remaining top section. I'll see how the stern goes before geiing ahead of myself.

Comment

• DMTNT
        Commander
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by HardRock
        Given that the waterline cut makes the upper and lower hull meeting so acute I'm wondering if I should do the same thing to the bow. Maybe cast the first eight inches or so as one piece and just drop that into the original mould and then add the remaining top section. I'll see how the stern goes before geiing ahead of myself.
        That may not be a bad idea. Curious to see how this works out with the stern. Keep us posted!
        Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

The stern section came out OK. The seam is a little rough but will clean up with some filler and a bit of TLC. This is the rear section placed into the original lower hull mould with the gell coat in place for the new lay up. I think that it will be significantly better than the old version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010390.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	132028

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by HardRock
            The stern section came out OK. The seam is a little rough but will clean up with some filler and a bit of TLC. This is the rear section placed into the original lower hull mould with the gell coat in place for the new lay up. I think that it will be significantly better than the old version.

Name:	P1010390.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	132028
            I see what you're saying about the bow - that idea of making the first 8" or so one piece may not be a bad one. I think about what your eye gets drawn too immediately - the pointy bits, and if there's a big split running 'round the nose, even if it's really well done, you're going to notice it.
            Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

I can probably make the seam go away; its just that there is a lot of detail there that might get lost in the process.

Comment

• bwi 971
                Captain
                • Jan 2015

Are you kidding me......I'm away for 5 months and and that period you built a complete november class.

I like the way yoiu did the sonar dome........back to school moment for me.

grtz,
                Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• JHapprich
                  Captain
                  • Oct 2017

A nice video about K-3 `Leninski Komsomol`:

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
                    A nice video about K-3 `Leninski Komsomol`:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Nhou7MtoE
                    Wow! Good catch, David. Thanks much. Lots of excellent eye-candy there.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2017

Its been some time now... Any news?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Dave has agreed to take this one on once he's finished with other committments. Might actually turn out alright!

Comment

• JHapprich
                          Captain
                          • Oct 2017

I understand correctly, Mr. Merriman will finish the kit and I may purchase it at Bob Martin's?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
                            I understand correctly, Mr. Merriman will finish the kit and I may purchase it at Bob Martin's?
                            You got it. That's the plan.

In the interim, Bob is getting some other Soviet era r/c submarine kits to add to his ever expanding line: 1/96 SIERRA, 1/72 ALFA, 1/96 KILO (recently introduced), 1/72 VICTOR, 1/72 CHARLIE, and 1/96 SIERRA-2. List is not complete and is expanding as new, quality Master makers come on board. Kits being discussed include 1/72 FOXTROT, and 1/72 NOVEMBER and 1/96 ALFA.

Yes!..... that's right...... …… Bob and I are working overtime to make the local r/c boating pond safe for Communism (I'm in the wrong Party, apparently).

David
                            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-11-2019, 04:23 PM.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

As part of my recovery plan I'm doing a bit of fiddling around with some unfinished work. Before I sold the farm and moved south I pulled a set of hull parts for the November and then sent everything to Mr Merriman. I kept that one set of hull castings and put them in a box that got lost with everything else during the move. Having finally got to the bottom of the pile of junk that turned up at my new house, I found these the other day.

Unfortunately there was a mouse problem somewhere along the way and the entire edge of the top side of the hull has been mouse toothed away. Little *******s weren't even very tidy about it either.

Name:	P1010396.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	139296

So in order to hide that god awful flange I have decided to add a conformal array along the entire side of the sub. Thus:

Name:	P1010399.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	139297

That stip is just a piece of epoxy laid up in the inside of a plastic pipe. It curves a bit too much at present but when its forced up against the lower hull side it should flex outward and make a nice tight join.

This is the new shed.

Name:	P1010400.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	139298

Comment

• Davidh
                                Captain
                                • Nov 2010

Nice new shed Scott. Enough room for the chopper? Could you tell me the inner diameter that is most constant and how long it would be? Maybe a candidate for a ZB-2?

Dave.

Comment

Working...