X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

look forward to your solution!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
        Commander
        • Jun 2018

Love watching you do that voodoo that you do so well.
        Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Oh,oh,oh excited squeel. Propellers! They look great even without the dunce caps.

The third, and I hope, final answer to the forward sonar dome. This one is thin brass sheet beaten into submission and stuck to the front. I still have to refine the edges but it certainly looks a lot better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	130847

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	130848

Name:	IMG_1933.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	130849

Name:	IMG_1932.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	506.9 KB
ID:	130850

Comment

• Aug 2008

That sonar window is beautiful. Please share with us riff-raff how you did it.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
              Commander
              • Jun 2018

Name:	1C07F635-3440-409A-9EDF-EC5AA483E089.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	130862
              Just curious, what is the sonar unit in the sail? It would appear that it rotates. I think I remember reading that our sets had to be “steered” as well. It is just interesting considering the multitude of different sonar arrays on & around the bow.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT

Name:	1C07F635-3440-409A-9EDF-EC5AA483E089.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	130862
                Just curious, what is the sonar unit in the sail? It would appear that it rotates. I think I remember reading that our sets had to be “steered” as well. It is just interesting considering the multitude of different sonar arrays on & around the bow.
                I think it's a high frequency 'object (mine) avoidance' sonar.

It was an old practice to physically steer the receiving/transmitting 'beam' using a one or two axis turntable/gimble; the entire array moved. Nowadays the beam is formed mechanically (an armature) or electronically by selecting elements (transducers) of a fixed array for listening and/or transmitting.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  That sonar window is beautiful. Please share with us riff-raff how you did it.

David
                  Impressed a thin sheet of brass over the nose to get the right shape; cut it to size; turned it over and scribed the back with a file; turned it the right way over and stuck it down. Turned out better than I thought it would and will probably look a lot better once I feather the edge around it and clean that up some more. More work on the sail today.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock

Impressed a thin sheet of brass over the nose to get the right shape; cut it to size; turned it over and scribed the back with a file; turned it the right way over and stuck it down. Turned out better than I thought it would and will probably look a lot better once I feather the edge around it and clean that up some more. More work on the sail today.
                    Scribed? Do you mean embossed, like high-relief copper work? Such as: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ed&FORM=HDRSC2.

If so, what was the surface you embossed over? And what's the gauge of the foil we see here?

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                      Commander
                      • Jun 2018

Name:	0A484F06-0EA1-4115-8844-2528FB6AF774.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	130869

Scott, I ran across this shot in a short Russian documentary about K-3 on YouTube, and it gave a really nice shot of the bow sonar window. You might have already seen it, but just in case you had not...

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. That's a good shot. David: I mean scribed. Its .005" brass sheet. I used a bluntish file point to scribe the lines on the back side of the brass. What you see on the reverse is the pushed out scribe lines. I just laid the brass on a cutting matt so that the scribing didn't go too deep.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                          Thanks Mate. That's a good shot. David: I mean scribed. Its .005" brass sheet. I used a bluntish file point to scribe the lines on the back side of the brass. What you see on the reverse is the pushed out scribe lines. I just laid the brass on a cutting matt so that the scribing didn't go too deep.
                          Very good, Scott. Thanks for the details. Looks great. Just finished the dunce-caps, now working on the bow plane master. As soon as I get a hull I'll work up masters for the SD saddles, indexing pin-Velcro strap foundation, control surface bell-cranks, SAS snorkel, and anything else that will be useful to anyone making this thing r/c.

Anything else I can do to help out with this project, Scott?

I'll have the SD's (mine and yours) worked out within two weeks of getting the hull -- need the hull to work out the topside displacement so I can plug that into the SD ballast tank design. I'm going with a two-motor 2.5" Lexan cylinder -- using mostly GATO SD parts.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                              Commander
                              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

David
                              Between what both of you have shown, you cannot believe how excited I am to build one of these up. Fantastic work on the props, David.

Comment

• Aug 2008

NOVEMBER has been on my bucket-list since I first saw the thing in a (then) classified submarine ID booklet that one of the WEBSTER's navaguessers left on the chart-table unattended. I was standing watch at the BCP at the time and to break up the soul-crushing boredom of a patrol mid-watch, the OD had the messenger grab it and pass it around till everyone got an eye-full. Called it 'training'.

Forty-five years later and now that the cat's out of the bag (thank you Russian former crew and fan boys), we can have a credible looking model of this beast. I thank Scott for letting me contribute to this project.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...