Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

Oh NO! I didn't mean to. I SWEAR !!! But hey, it really looks the right way now. Must be the rotten stern of K-3 ;-)))

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

It was wrong - no option but to fix it. Es tut mir Leid.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

A big 'thank-you' to Joerg for getting the refined drawings off to Scott. And good on Scott for always striving for that one big unobtainable: perfection!

As big as this beast will be I'm thinking of working up a gas propelled torpedo system for it. Something like this:

A torpedo shooting 1/96 NOVEMBER, making the local lake safe for Communism. Now, there's a threat!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
          Commander
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          A big 'thank-you' to Joerg for getting the refined drawings off to Scott. And good on Scott for always striving for that one big unobtainable: perfection!

As big as this beast will be I'm thinking of working up a gas propelled torpedo system for it. Something like this:

A torpedo shooting 1/96 NOVEMBER, making the local lake safe for Communism. Now, there's a threat!

David
          I don’t know if they ever fielded it, but have you ever seen the original designs for November where she was to shoot a single, colossal, nuclear tipped torpedo? If memory serves it was something like 1/4 the length of the entire boat and ran right down the middle.

Either way, this project is awesome. Stop making me want to build another sub, ******! I need to finish the one I’m on first.

Brady

edit: It was the T-15 torpedo I was thinking of. Approx 1.5 x 23m dimensions and almost 40T in weight! Good luck keeping her level after dropping that elephant off the nose. Holy smokes.
          Last edited by DMTNT; 12-31-2018, 02:30 PM.
          Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMTNT

I don’t know if they ever fielded it, but have you ever seen the original designs for November where she was to shoot a single, colossal, nuclear tipped torpedo? If memory serves it was something like 1/4 the length of the entire boat and ran right down the middle.

Either way, this project is awesome. Stop making me want to build another sub, ******! I need to finish the one I’m on first.

Brady

edit: It was the T-15 torpedo I was thinking of. Approx 1.5 x 23m dimensions and almost 40T in weight! Good luck keeping her level after dropping that elephant off the nose. Holy smokes.
            Yeah, I think Norman Friedman (man! this guy knows his ****!) wrote that up in one of his excellent 'submarine' books. Shoot that sucker into a harbor and let the games begin. Saner heads prevailed.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
              Commander
              • Jun 2018

I know the Russians have a long and storied history of.... “”optimistically”” stating their capabilities, but this still makes for an interesting read and a rather terrifying prospect if it were ever deployed: http://www.hisutton.com/Poseidon_Torpedo.html

Apologies, I don’t mean to hijack the thread.

-Brady

Comment

• Tirfing
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2017

Happy New Year everyone. Scott, it is fantastic to see that you are at it agatin. Jörg. Many thanks for supporting this build. I know you have good material on many Projects. / Tirfing

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Going slowly on this build. The rear end is looking better. Still a lot more filling and sanding to get it to the right shape. You can see the plastic template running down from top to bottom just forward of the stub plane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	129472

And meanwhile, the front end block will not fit on my lathe (diameter is too large). Help Dave! I need a favour.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                    Going slowly on this build. The rear end is looking better. Still a lot more filling and sanding to get it to the right shape. You can see the plastic template running down from top to bottom just forward of the stub plane. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1804.jpg Views:	1 Size:	453.6 KB ID:	129472

And meanwhile, the front end block will not fit on my lathe (diameter is too large). Help Dave! I need a favour.
                    I'm here buddy! send me a file with the bow section of the plan and give me two critical dimensions (vertical height and width where the bow will butt up against the front end of your hull) So I can correct any errors induced by your scanner and/or my printer. Indicate the length of the bow section I'm building. Want me to work out the torpedo shutters and other details up front (bow planes and such)? You slacker!

Do it now!!!!!

Looks like you got the ass-end of that boat right. Coming along nicely.

Your 1/96 ALBACORE fittings kit goes out tomorrow. What else can I put in the box? (I'll check your e-mails to check on that too).

AND WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WITH A PULSE-JET?????!!!!!!

David
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-09-2019, 08:22 PM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. Details shortly. I'm off to the big smoke to do some work this afternoon - work; the curse of the drinking man!

I'll tell you about the pulse jet once I get the thing working properly. At the moment its variable noise and constant thrust; very loud, very strong and VERY hot. Did I mention loud?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Name:	November copy.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	129476

Have a look at this and see if it makes sense. The pipe is 3 and a quarter inch OD. ID is 3 inches. The bow piece is 4 and five eights inches long and the correct curve is the one shown in the elevation drawing. I have a plan drawing but the dimentions and curve are wrong. The sections that Jurg sent to me are much better and show that the bow is spherical in cross section.

By all means add the torpedo shutters and anything else that you feel like adding. Hurrah!

Comment

• Aug 2008

I've been gathering documentation -- these photos will help round out the look of the bow, Scott:

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Perfect. Great photographs too.

Comment

• DMTNT
                              Commander
                              • Jun 2018

You people...

Name:	F50F4F9C-F9DE-447C-80D8-E8D81234623A.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	129480

Comment

• JHapprich
                                Captain
                                • Oct 2017

Hardrock, did you take a look at that last russian website on the list that i sent to you? It offers MANY VERY good pictures ( and veryfies what i always thought-K 8 had a victor-class-like sail!!!)
                                Last edited by JHapprich; 01-10-2019, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Working...