X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

November Holiday

I was looking at some files that Gantu sent to me the other day and doing some idle calculations on the November. The hull width at 1/96 scale is 82.29mm and, I happened to have a piece of 82mm drain pipe in the shed. I've never built a pipe boat before but I decided to give it a go. Some plywood templates, a bit of glue and a lot of sanding later - this emerged. Might actually work out too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	129179

• JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

Looking good!will you make it a 627 or 627A?

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

The only plans that I have that are half decent are for the 627A. I like to look of that lower sonar dome as well so I guess that it will be the 'A' version.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

You *******!

Just when I thought I was out, you drag my fat-ass back in!

Must have one! Who do I have to kill to get one of these NOVEMBER's?

Can I give you a hand with the propellers, masts, and control surfaces and SD? I assume you will make the sail a part of the upper hull?

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

You bet you can. How luckey was it to find an old drain pipe that is EXACTLY the right size? Not sure about the sail yet; I'm still dealing with the lower stern transition to the rudder post. I don't have a good photograph of that at this stage. I'll send you a set of the plans that I have so that we are working off the same datum. Hurrah!

Comment

• DMTNT
            Commander
            • Jun 2018

That's incredible luck. I've always liked something about that old boat. I can only imagine what a nightmare it must've been to sail on a 1st gen Soviet SSN. Can't wait to see this come together!
            Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
              You bet you can. How luckey was it to find an old drain pipe that is EXACTLY the right size? Not sure about the sail yet; I'm still dealing with the lower stern transition to the rudder post. I don't have a good photograph of that at this stage. I'll send you a set of the plans that I have so that we are working off the same datum. Hurrah!
              Standing by, sir.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                Captain
                • Oct 2017

Hey hardrock! If i understand correctly, you are talking about the transition from that "fin" on the upper stern to the lower rudder section? It is of a more classic design, the fin part features a triangular diameter followed by a slight inward pull before continuing to follow the straight line of the rudder. I can honestly say i am a November "groupie". If you like, pm me your the construction plan you are using so i could look over the details. Regards, Jörg

Comment

• Davidh
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2010

Papa around November.

Name:	IMG_0863 (Large).JPG
Views:	329
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	129199

Had the Good fortune to visit Scott today. He probably would have preferred to be in the pool instead of talking to me
                  however It was good to catch up. This November is going to be great. It's a nice size I just wish it was a bit wider to take the
                  cylinder I have for the Papa.

Dave H

Comment

• JHapprich
                    Captain
                    • Oct 2017

About the same size as my november. Hardrock, thx for the blueprint. Know that one, some errors.ill see that i have another plan sent to you
                    Joerg

Ps from what i can see so far, the stern upper deck needs to bend slightly down towards the waterline on the last half just before the aft fin. 2nd, the rudder excess needs to be higher, the model looks too much like type xxi. November has a high but rather short rudder, rectangular, not square.
                    Last edited by JHapprich; 12-30-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I will sit back and watch the fun as this gets built. I continue to learn from you all. Thanks for posting your build!
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by JHapprich
                        About the same size as my november. Hardrock, thx for the blueprint. Know that one, some errors.ill see that i have another plan sent to you
                        Joerg

Ps from what i can see so far, the stern upper deck needs to bend slightly down towards the waterline on the last half just before the aft fin. 2nd, the rudder excess needs to be higher, the model looks too much like type xxi. November has a high but rather short rudder, rectangular, not square.
                        Thanks Mate. Those sections or the rear are invaluable. I can see from them that the rear slops down just a little and that the plan view, as depicted in the drawings that I have is all wrong - too narrow overall and wrong front end entirely. The rudder hole is only half cut out; I didn't want to go ahead and start removing foam befor I had a reasonably accurate idea of what the stern really looked like. I'm quite capable of messing it up on my own so I might as well start with real drawings!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock

Thanks Mate. Those sections or the rear are invaluable. I can see from them that the rear slops down just a little and that the plan view, as depicted in the drawings that I have is all wrong - too narrow overall and wrong front end entirely. The rudder hole is only half cut out; I didn't want to go ahead and start removing foam befor I had a reasonably accurate idea of what the stern really looked like. I'm quite capable of messing it up on my own so I might as well start with real drawings!
                          Merriman's Law: The good source documentation only shows up once the project is well underway.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Yep. It sure seems that way. Jörg sent me a GREAT drawing of the rear showing the appropriate cross sections. Needless to say I'm in modicication mode right now. I went down to the local post shack (it really doesn't qualify as a proper post office) this morning to send off the drawings, including Jörg's new ones, to you but the bloody post shack is closed for the postman's picknic!!! Who knew that popstmen - and postgirls I guess, had picknics? Anyway the're open next year so I'll get it to you soonish.

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

So there has been a bit of re-planning since Jörg came up with the nice new plans. There will be a new and substantial keel and a much slimmer rear end. The nose is roughed out and looks to be about the right shape.

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	129246

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	622.6 KB
ID:	129245

Comment

Working...